Pokemon Emerald Save Battery Error After New Battery Put in

Discussion in 'GBA - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by randnet, Jul 1, 2015.

1. randnet
    OP

randnet Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 1, 2015
    United States
    My copy of Pokemon Emerald keeps giving me the "internal save battery has run dry..." error at the start up. I replaced the battery (CR1616, neg. side up), but no luck. Does this mean the board/some chip is shot? How do I fix this, or do I have to buy an entirely new copy? Also, my save file is just fine.
    I also cannot connect to Pokemon XD on the gamecube despite having a hall of fame record, saving in the PC, and having legitimate pokemon in my party. For example, at the very end of a trade sequence, it tells me that the "trade did not go through." Are these two problems related in any way?

2. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    Is this a cart you've had from launch or did you buy it secondhand? It might just be a fake think you can post a picture of the board with proper lighting?

3. randnet
    OP

randnet Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 1, 2015
    United States
    I bought it secondhand a long time ago and the sticker has fallen off since. I never suspected it being a bootleg copy seeing as at one point I didn't have this problem. It also is compatible with the gameshark that I have, and I've connected it with XD/Colosseum before.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Sorry, those were the best photos I could get.

Attached Files:

4. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    I meant without the casing on :rolleyes:

5. loco365

loco365 GBAtemp Guru

Sep 1, 2010
    Cartridge is legitimate, the circuits underneath don't appear to look like that of bootlegs. I'm guessing there's something wrong with the game itself, it could be RTC-related. I remember reading up on an app for the GBA that could fix this, I'll have to see if I can dig it up.

6. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    Could he have shocked the board while the battery was in with static if he wasn't grounded (I highly doubt it can even happen to a GBA cart)?

7. randnet
    OP

randnet Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 1, 2015
    United States
    Whoops! Okay, here are a couple of pictures without the casing.

Attached Files:

8. loco365

loco365 GBAtemp Guru

Sep 1, 2010
  9. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    board is real maybe the battery leaked a bit @Team Fail do you think he should clean the contacts?

10. loco365

loco365 GBAtemp Guru

Sep 1, 2010
    @Xenon Hacks The contacts seem to be fairly clean, plus the game communicates nicely with the system still.

@randnet Can you use a multimeter and check the charge on the battery? It may have shorted out, causing issues with it reporting that the battery is dry still.

11. randnet
    OP

randnet Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 1, 2015
    United States
    Aww man, I don't have a GBA flash cart to connect it to the computer. I've been think of coughing up some money for one though.
    :(

I just replaced the battery fresh out of the package. I tested the old battery with a meter that we have here though, and it was working.

On a side note though, is this the reason why trades are unable to complete successfully between Emerald and XD? There is nothing wrong with the link cable I used, and I tried trading to XD with two different GBAs. I heard that there's a patch for the battery issue that's automatically put in when you connect with XD/Colosseum.
    Should I send a picture of the error message I'm receiving from XD?

12. loco365

loco365 GBAtemp Guru

Sep 1, 2010
    Yes, it may be brand new, but if it shorts, it will die very quickly. I had that happen with a Pokémon Crystal game pak, and the battery was dead by the end of the day, not to mention the save chip destroyed (This won't be the case for you though).

13. randnet
    OP

randnet Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 1, 2015
    United States
    So should I try to use another battery in there instead? Or would that not be a good idea because I run the risk of, potentially, shorting out another battery?

14. loco365

loco365 GBAtemp Guru

Sep 1, 2010
    Check it first to see if you need to replace it. No point in replacing the battery if it hasn't shorted. This is an estimated guess, but you should check first to see if the additional work is even necessary.

randnet likes this.
  15. randnet
    OP

randnet Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 1, 2015
    United States
    Checked the strength of it, it was just fine. In fact, it was better than the battery that had been sitting in there.

I also put the battery in, held it down, and tested the current on the prongs themselves and there was power flowing through it.