Pokemon DPPt Distribution ROMs pull black screens, black+white screens

Poke

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, I have been using TwiMenu++ for loading the Pokemon Event Distribution ROMs on my CFW N2DS XL, and I have recently been having trouble with opening these distribution ROMs for use on my copies of Gen 4+5 Pokemon. The specific screen/set of screens that shows up are largely the same with one exception. All dates are valid for each distribution, and TwilightMenu++ is on its latest version.

2007 Toys R Us Manaphy Distribution - Both screens turn black after the NDS Bootstrap screen. Nothing happens afterwards, and 3DS Home Menu can be accessed afterwards. This ROM has worked before this glitch occurred, as I used it to test out whether the Distribution Roms work on a CFW N2DS XL. Surprisingly, they do.

The following ROMs have the same effect: After NDS Bootstrap screen, top screen goes black, bottom one stays white. Nothing happens afterwards, and the 3DS Home Menu can still be accessed. These ROMs are all listed here for organization sake and so I don't have to repeat the description over and over again.
2008 Gamestop Deoxys, 2008 ALAMOS Darkrai, 2008 Toys R Us Dragonite, 2009 Toys R Us Arceus, 2009 Secret Key, 2009 Toys R Us Shaymin + Regigigas (a case where two distributions were on one ROM, but set to separate dates. In this case, both dates for Shaymin and Regigigas do not work.), 2010 Gamestop Pikachu-colored Pichu + Jirachi (both dates for these distributions also do not work), 2011 Gamestop Shiny Legendary Beasts (four distributions, one for Shiny Raikou, Shiny Entei, Shiny Suicune, and a normal-colored Celebi, each with different dates. All four dates do not work.), 2011 Toys R Us Ash Pikachu, 2011 Toys R Us Secret Eggs (the first Gen 5 ROM on this list, also does not work.), 2011 Toys R Us Zoroark, 2011 Worldwide Celebi (a Gen 4 ROM, same deal), 2012 Worldwide Keldeo, 2013 Shiny Sinnoh Trio (Shiny Dialga, Palkia and Giratina. None of the three dates work.), and 2013 Worldwide Meloetta.

As one can see, the effects are largely the same across these distribution ROMs, save for one lone case that was successfully tested prior. This successful test may be why it is the lone exception to that effect. If anyone knows what is going on, and can point me in the right direction for a fix, it would be greatly appreciated.

Poke

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please test each earlier nds-bootstrap version, and see which one the ROMs booted on last.
All ROMs were tested on nds-bootstrap release 0.49.1. As for testing earlier nds-bootstrap versions, how would I go about doing that?

EDIT: As for the ROMs booted on list, the 2007 TRU Manaphy distribution cart worked on v0.49.1, and was the only one I tested before the issues started to arise.

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All ROMs were tested on nds-bootstrap release 0.49.1. As for testing earlier nds-bootstrap versions, how would I go about doing that?

EDIT: As for the ROMs booted on list, the 2007 TRU Manaphy distribution cart worked on v0.49.1, and was the only one I tested before the issues started to arise.
Download the earlier nds-bootstrap version from GitHub, and replace "nds-bootstrap-release.nds" in "sd:/_nds/", with the one from the .7z file.

Reactions: banjo2

Poke

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, testing earlier versions with 2008 Gamestop Deoxys ROM. I'm writing this as I go along and, if successful, I will test the other ROMs at some later point.
Sidenote: checking to see if I installed the version right is a nightmare, as it keeps listing the original in the settings, though I have made sure that what I have obtained is the earlier versions for each instance.
v0.49.0: issue
v0.48.0: issue
v0.47.0: it works!
Currently in the process of testing other distribution roms. Darkrai at least seems to bring up something, so that's good.

Reactions: RocketRobz

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, testing earlier versions with 2008 Gamestop Deoxys ROM. I'm writing this as I go along and, if successful, I will test the other ROMs at some later point.
Sidenote: checking to see if I installed the version right is a nightmare, as it keeps listing the original in the settings, though I have made sure that what I have obtained is the earlier versions for each instance.
v0.49.0: issue
v0.48.0: issue
v0.47.0: it works!
Currently in the process of testing other distribution roms. Darkrai at least seems to bring up something, so that's good.
The Deoxys ROM boots on my side with the latest nightly.
Try getting the latest nds-bootstrap using Universal-Updater, then in TWLMenu++, press Y, and switch "Bootstrap" to "Nightly".
If it still doesn't boot, open TWLMenu++ Settings, and turn on "Logging", then re-launch the ROM, and upload "sd:/NDSBTSRP.LOG", after getting the same result.

Reactions: Poke

Poke

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try getting the latest nds-bootstrap using Universal-Updater, then in TWLMenu++, press Y, and switch "Bootstrap" to "Nightly".
If it still doesn't boot, open TWLMenu++ Settings, and turn on "Logging", then re-launch the ROM, and upload "sd:/NDSBTSRP.LOG", after getting the same result.
Alright, I tested out the Nightly branch, and I'm getting similar results to using 0.47.0. '07 Manaphy brings a black screen, '08 Deoxys and Darkrai work, but '08 Dragonite and the '09-'13 event roms also still do not work, bringing up the aforementioned white screen issue. I'll get logs as soon as possible.

Poke

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
here it is, rom used is '08 Dragonite
(edit: grrrrrreat, the thing didn't upload because I'm a newbie. Gonna copy and paste the log instead, hopefully that should work.)
Code:
findModuleParamsOffset:
Module params offset restored: 02000B84
sdk_version: 04027530
arm9 is not compressed

Switched to NTR mode BIOS
patchCardNds

cardIrqEnable location : 02006708

startOffset : 02000000

cardRead location : 0200C6E8

swi12 location : 0200050C

cardPullOut location : 0200CC44

cardId location : 0200C7D8

patchCardSetDma

NDMA CARD SET METHOD ACTIVE
cardSetDma location : 0200C438

NDMA CARD READ METHOD ACTIVE
cardEndReadDma location : 0200C4D4

Mpu start: 02000AA4

Mpu data: 02000B38

Mpu init cache: 02000AF4

Mpu init: 02007FCC

Mpu data alt: 020079D4

Mpu start 2: 02000AAC

Mpu data 2: 02000B3C

Mpu init 2: 02007FD4

reset location : 02008484

ERR_NONE

cardIrqEnable location : 02383AD8

forwardedRelocStartAddr
023801D0
vAddrOfRelocSrc
023801E8
Relocation src: 023801E8
Relocation dst: 037F8000

Arm7 (patch vAll)

JumpTableFunc: 0238B5BC
Eeprom read:    0238B5C8
Eeprom page write:    0238B5DC
Eeprom page prog:    0238B5F0
Eeprom verify:    0238B604
Eeprom page erase:    0238B614
swiHalt hooked
swiHalt location : 02380660

swi12 location : 0238B9FC

swiGetPitchTable location : 02386FB4

ERR_NONE

hookNdsRetailArm7
hookLocation arm7: 0238F584

ERR_NONE
hookLocation arm9: 027E0000

ROM loaded into RAM

chipID: 800007C2

Poke

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hopefully this should work now
(edit: the forum itself doesn't allow me to upload the file as-is, so I changed it to a .txt file)

Attachments

• NDSBTSRPLOG.TXT
    135.8 KB · Views: 65

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, I tested out the Nightly branch, and I'm getting similar results to using 0.47.0. '07 Manaphy brings a black screen, '08 Deoxys and Darkrai work, but '08 Dragonite and the '09-'13 event roms also still do not work, bringing up the aforementioned white screen issue. I'll get logs as soon as possible.
Tested on DSi and booting on my side (All to "Distribution not available now.")
  • '07 Manaphy
  • '08 Deoxys
  • '08 Dragonite
  • '09 Arceus
  • '11 Ash's PIKACHU!
  • '12 Keldeo
  • '13 Meloetta
hopefully this should work now
(edit: the forum itself doesn't allow me to upload the file as-is, so I changed it to a .txt file)
I've tested '08 Dragonite (USA), and this log looks a bit different from mine. Is it the same ROM?

Poke

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
  • '07 Manaphy
  • '08 Deoxys
  • '08 Dragonite
  • '09 Arceus
  • '11 Ash's PIKACHU!
  • '12 Keldeo
  • '13 Meloetta

I've tested '08 Dragonite (USA), and this log looks a bit different from mine. Is it the same ROM?
That's... Strange. Here, this is where I got the ROMs from: [REMOVED]

Poke

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
  • '07 Manaphy
  • '08 Deoxys
  • '08 Dragonite
  • '09 Arceus
  • '11 Ash's PIKACHU!
  • '12 Keldeo
  • '13 Meloetta

Alright, I have tested all of these ROMs, and have found that '07 Manaphy does not work, stuck on the black screen. '08 Deoxys, meanwhile, does work, but the rest do not, with the same black and white screen issue.

I'm considering doing a fresh install of TWLoader and the ROMs in question, hopefully that should help somewhat. Will return with findings.

Poke

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fresh Install updates:
'07 Manaphy worked once on Release, doesn't on Nightly or Release after further tests, as though the ROM basically terminates itself after one run.
'08 Deoxys and Darkrai, however, now don't work on Nightly or Release at all.
Is there anything else that can be done or checked? I do have an O3DS XL with a way older version of NDS-Bootstrap, so I'll try things out over there.

O3DS Update: When running the '07 Manaphy ROM, it states that an error came up. TWLMenu version was v11.2.0, and nds-boostrap was release v0.28.1. '08 Darkrai and '08 Deoxys work, nothing else does.

Last edited by Poke,

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fresh Install updates:
'07 Manaphy worked once on Release, doesn't on Nightly or Release after further tests, as though the ROM basically terminates itself after one run.
'08 Deoxys and Darkrai, however, now don't work on Nightly or Release at all.
Is there anything else that can be done or checked? I do have an O3DS XL with a way older version of NDS-Bootstrap, so I'll try things out over there.

O3DS Update: When running the '07 Manaphy ROM, it states that an error came up. TWLMenu version was v11.2.0, and nds-boostrap was release v0.28.1. '08 Darkrai and '08 Deoxys work, nothing else does.
The Manaphy ROM still works on my side in nds-bootstrap v0.50.0.

What are your TWiLight Menu++ Settings in the Games/Apps page?

Poke

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Manaphy ROM still works on my side in nds-bootstrap v0.50.0.

What are your TWiLight Menu++ Settings in the Games/Apps page?
Run In - Auto
Run FluBBa emus. in - DSi Mode
ARM9 CPU Speed - 67 MHz
VRAM Mode - DS Mode
Force sleep mode patch - Off
SD Access in Slot-1 - Off
SCFG access in Slot-1 - Off
Slot-1: Touch Mode - DS mode
Menu Hotkey - Press A
Slot-1 launch method - Direct
Sound/Mic Frequency - 32.73 kHz
Card Read DMA - On
Asynch Card Read - Off
SWI Halt Hook - On
Slot-1 DSiWare to SD - Yes
Photo Location - NAND
Expand ROM space in RAM - No
Save FAT Table cache - No
Bootstrap - Release
Debug - Off
Logging - On

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Run In - Auto
Run FluBBa emus. in - DSi Mode
ARM9 CPU Speed - 67 MHz
VRAM Mode - DS Mode
Force sleep mode patch - Off
SD Access in Slot-1 - Off
SCFG access in Slot-1 - Off
Slot-1: Touch Mode - DS mode
Menu Hotkey - Press A
Slot-1 launch method - Direct
Sound/Mic Frequency - 32.73 kHz
Card Read DMA - On
Asynch Card Read - Off
SWI Halt Hook - On
Slot-1 DSiWare to SD - Yes
Photo Location - NAND
Expand ROM space in RAM - No
Save FAT Table cache - No
Bootstrap - Release
Debug - Off
Logging - On
Hmm, either some of your ROMs somehow get corrupted after being copied to the SD card, or I'm out of ideas.

Reactions: Poke

Poke

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, either some of your ROMs somehow get corrupted after being copied to the SD card, or I'm out of ideas.
After checking the ROMs with DeSmuMe, I can confirm the ROMs were not in and of themselves corrupted. It's possible the issue lies with NDS-Bootstrap itself, though that doesn't explain how/why some of the distribution ROMs, namely '07 Manaphy on the first instance and '08 Darkrai and Deoxys, are all capable of working perfectly.
Attached is proof of this being the case. Given the ROMs are all the same with the only difference being the Pokemon distributed, I have no idea why it only works for certain ROMs and not, though I do have a few theories.
20211030_155030.jpg

1) All the Distribution Roms are labeled "rom.nds", meaning that possibly, in the save folder, they're overlapping with each other.
2) It somehow depends on the load order I did. If I did, say, 2009 Shaymin + Regigas before anything else, they'd be distributed.
3) it's jank that's somehow within NDS-Bootstrap itself that'll have to be patched. This is the least likely scenario.
I'll come back with the results of the test on the first and second theories.

Poke

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have returned with rather excellent news!

The first theory, where the saves were overlapping with each other, seems to be the correct conclusion. Because the collection of ROMs were all labeled "rom.nds", they were overlapping with each other. I have confirmed the following ROMs do work:
- '08 Dragonite
- '10 Pikachu-colored Pichu
- '13 Worldwide Meloetta
'07 TRU Manaphy still brings up an error on O3DS, but this is much better progress! It's likely that this is an issue with the FAT table pulling up invalid save data for the ROMs.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: I have it in my hands