Pokémon Divine Sword & Blessed Shield (Version 1.1 Major Update! EXP. Candies Return!)

Pokémon Divine Sword & Blessed Shield - v1.1
QrTxdpw.png
k78tWGs.png

I can't believe I am finally writing this, but Phives and I are proud to finally present Pokémon Divine Sword & Blessed Shield, a difficulty romhack. Why release another romhack when Sacred Sword & King's Shield is out, you may ask? Well to be quite honest, that project was rushed and is not something we are particularly proud of. So, we have been working on an entirely new one ever since the release of the Crown Tundra. Now, over half a year later and a LOT of hours sunk into playtesting, we are finally ready to release the first version!

Intro - What is Pokémon Divine Sword & Blessed Shield?
Pokémon Divine Sword & Blessed Shield is a difficulty romhack, taking inspiration mostly from Drayano's work. However, I also played Radical Red last year and took some inspiration from that, although outside of QoL features those are purely optional. So don't worry if you want to play in Switch mode and use healing items in battle! We've made edits to nearly every Pokemon, mainly focusing on making egg and tutor moves available through normal level up movesets as well as providing buffs and new moves to tons of different Pokémon. Of course, there is documentation for everything included in the google drive folder with the download. We've of course redone the team of every single trainer in the game, and hope to encourage team building in order to over come these challenges. However, it is important to remember that all of this is done within the confines of Sword & Shield. We cannot make the AI super smart, nor can we force certain aspects like a level cap, etc. However, we have gone to great lengths in order to make it the best we possible could.

Notable Features:
  • Completely reworked Raid rewards system
  • All 600 Pokémon from Sword & Shield (including DLC) catchable outside of the Isle of Armor and Crown Tundra
  • Overhauled boss battles
  • Quality of life features such as purchasable EV reducers
  • Shop overhauls in order to make competitive items easily accessible
  • Healing items disabled during trainer battles (THIS IS OPTIONAL)
  • Battle Items removed from the game (not optional, as X items are the new purchasable EV reducing items)
  • Edited Adventure Guide for in game documentation
  • Edited Pokémon & various buffs/moveset edits.

Screenshots (there are lot of them and they are BIG so here is your warning):
IOxSesg.jpg
gvXMZBJ.jpg
Wk3bUqM.jpg
haLThqD.jpg
mZvflYh.jpg
IhNwR3u.png
5x8IL0v.png
OgCFhvt.png
9XgUKQ5.png
4PEfSKt.png
5DPYDzW.png
SewcMFs.png
R9YAWUk.png
Q2F75lK.png
jPIwxJm.png
oRPFzkX.png
rJTXPB2.png
NOsYJxJ.png
O29i4RV.png
iDSARI6.png
2pOe0A8.png

v1.1 Changelog: Return of the EXP. Candies

!!SELL ALL OF YOUR "MEDICINE" ITEMS THAT ARE IN YOUR "ITEMS" POUCH PRIOR TO UPDATING IF YOU DO NOT USE THE USABLE HEALING ITEMS PATCH!!

Healing items have been moved back to the "Medicine" pouch, and are still not usable in battle without the patch.

EXP. Candies make their return, obtainable through shops in every Pokecenter. They appear as you get Gym badges in the following tiers:
  • XS - 0 Badges ₽600
  • S - 2 Badges ₽1,000
  • M - 4 Badges ₽3,000
  • L - 6 Badges ₽9,000
  • XL - 7 Badges ₽27,000
All changes regarding EXP. Candies are tentative and subject to change. Please provide your feedback!
In addition, all Nature Mints are now purchasable from the start of the game at all Pokecenters for ₽7,500.
Wishing Pieces are also in every Pokecenter for ₽5,000

As a test, Ballonlea's Pokecenter has a new NPC behind the left counter that will offer to feed your pokemon Max Soup for 3 Max Mushrooms.
Max Mushrooms can be purchased at any Pokecenter after receiving 5 Gym Badges.
In future updates, this NPC will be in all Pokecenters.
Max Mushrooms are now in the "Items" pouch.

Hammerlocke City - Centeral Pokemon Center (Right Counter) Now has the following items:
  • Power Bracer
  • Power Belt
  • Power Lens
  • Power Band
  • Power Anklet
  • Power Weight
  • Destiny Knot
  • PP Up
  • Razor Claw
  • Protector
  • Reaper Claw
  • Whipped Dream
  • Sachet

Motostoke City - Souther Pokemon Center (Right Counter) Now has the following items:
  • Speed Down
  • HP down

Hammerlocke City - West Pokemon Center (Right Counter) Now has the following TMs:
  • Bounce
  • Fling
  • Power Swap
  • Guard Swap
  • Speed Swap
  • Drain Punch
  • Trick Room
  • Wonder Room
  • Magic Room
  • Razor Shell
  • Mystical Fire

Hammerlocke City - East Pokemon Center (Right Counter) Now has the following TMs:
  • Fire Punch
  • Ice Punch
  • Thunder Punch
  • Solar Blade
  • Self-Destruct
  • Giga Drain

Video Detailing the Changes

Details for how to install are in the README included in the Google Drive folder. Please read it. Documentation is also in that folder, which is linked at the bottom of this post.

Credits & Thanks
  • The amazing creators of pkNX, this project would not be possible without their hard work
  • Drayano, for allowing us to reference some of their changes from Renegade Platinum.
  • The creator of Radical Red, soupercell, for allowing us to use certain Pokémon edits from their romhack in ours
  • https://twitter.com/__Toner___ for the logos

Pokejobs being broken is an intentional feature in order to prevent an EXP/EV exploit.
The only part of the Post Game that is currently finished is the Hop & Sordward/Shielbert section. Champions Cup rematches and such are not edited yet.

Last edited by Kobazco,

nosotros

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Having just completed Radical Red, I see exactly what you are trying to do with this rom and for the most part it really works! I just beat Gordie and he was a real sonofabitch, mostly because I literally had nothing to counter him. I felt that same feeling over being outgunned I got from Radical Red when Gordie's Weakness Policy activated on his coalossal. I just shook my head and grinned.

But the fun of Radical Red was tackling each every big battle (or shit some of the smaller ones) with tailored teams. It was extremely easy to bring up new squads of pokemon. It taught me, a completely newb competitive pokemon player, a metric ton about pokemon team composition. I know others have mentioned it but it's extremely hard to get new pokemon up to competitive level in this mod. I feel like Radical Red went out of it's way to lessen the grind, an important philosophy that unfortunately this hack lacks. To get that same feeling I got from Radical Red, I've resorted to cheating for candies and just self limiting myself to the same level as the trainer I am going to face next.

What I would love to see is candies return but there be a hard lvl limit like Radical Red. I'm sure this isn't really possible at this time or I bet you would have done it. Next best option, I think, would be to have Blissey/Audino have designated areas where only those spawn. Also, level up the wild pokemon drastically. When trying to train pokemon to fight Gordie (his top lvl pokemon is 70) the best I had access to was around lvl 50 blissey (unless I missed something). It made for an absolute brutal grind. Also make exp share optional so you can really focus on lvling up one pokemon at a time.

Overall, I think this is excellent hack that just needs to figure out this one issue with leveling. Great job!

Kobazco

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey everyone, thanks for all of your feedback. I've been really busy with school and other projects so I haven't really had the opportunity to respond but let me just address things generally:

The EXP issue is the hardest thing for me to balance, but there may be a few solutions here and there that I am considering. It really just comes down to limitations, as I can't do stuff like implement a level cap etc.

The reason wild Pokemon aren't a very high level is due to the catch limit, which is why I can't have insanely high Blisseys running around.

Recently, support for fully modding shops and even adding new items to shop was added, so I was thinking of maybe adding in EXP candies to the shops at a steep price, maybe even just rare candies (Although I want to keep $0 Rare Candies for post game if possible)

I could also make one of the surf blocked routes be only super high level Blissey encounters, but I'm always worried that may ruin the late game balance as there's no way to put in a level cap.

I feel like this could be maybe solved with EXP candies because eventually they'll stop providing a decent amount of EXP to high level Pokemon if I don't sell the largest ones.

I think the main issue is that since a decent amount of the Playerbase likely plays on actual hardware, there isn't the tried and true method of just speeding up the game. I think the Yuzu switch emulator can do it, but its likely nothing compared to the speedup GBA games have. This is probably what makes the grinding seem a lot worse. Afterall, can you just imagine training up new teams in Radical Red without having access to the speedup button? It just comes down to limitations sadly.

But basically, my main idea is adding EXP candies to certain shops throughout the game, hopefully scaling as the game progresses. I haven't looked at the new builds of pkNX yet (as they always broke for some reason probably because the project started a year ago now), but hopefully something like that is possible.

What do you all think?

Kobazco

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Divine Sword & Blessed Shield - v1.1 Changelog: Return of the EXP. Candies

!!SELL ALL OF YOUR "MEDICINE" ITEMS THAT ARE IN YOUR "ITEMS" POUCH PRIOR TO UPDATING IF YOU DO NOT USE THE USABLE HEALING ITEMS PATCH!!

Healing items have been moved back to the "Medicine" pouch, and are still not usable in battle without the patch.

EXP. Candies make their return, obtainable through shops in every Pokecenter. They appear as you get Gym badges in the following tiers:
  • XS - 0 Badges ₽600
  • S - 2 Badges ₽1,000
  • M - 4 Badges ₽3,000
  • L - 6 Badges ₽9,000
  • XL - 7 Badges ₽27,000
All changes regarding EXP. Candies are tentative and subject to change. Please provide your feedback!
In addition, all Nature Mints are now purchasable from the start of the game at all Pokecenters for ₽7,500.

As a test, Ballonlea's Pokecenter has a new NPC behind the left counter that will offer to feed your pokemon Max Soup for 3 Max Mushrooms.
Max Mushrooms can be purchased at any Pokecenter after receiving 5 Gym Badges.
In future updates, this NPC will be in all Pokecenters.
Max Mushrooms are now in the "Items" pouch.

Hammerlocke City - Centeral Pokemon Center (Right Counter) Now has the following items:
  • Power Bracer
  • Power Belt
  • Power Lens
  • Power Band
  • Power Anklet
  • Power Weight
  • Destiny Knot
  • PP Up
  • Razor Claw
  • Protector
  • Reaper Claw
  • Whipped Dream
  • Sachet

Motostoke City - Souther Pokemon Center (Right Counter) Now has the following items:
  • Speed Down
  • HP down

Hammerlocke City - West Pokemon Center (Right Counter) Now has the following TMs:
  • Bounce
  • Fling
  • Power Swap
  • Guard Swap
  • Speed Swap
  • Drain Punch
  • Trick Room
  • Wonder Room
  • Magic Room
  • Razor Shell
  • Mystical Fire

Hammerlocke City - East Pokemon Center (Right Counter) Now has the following TMs:
  • Fire Punch
  • Ice Punch
  • Thunder Punch
  • Solar Blade
  • Self-Destruct
  • Giga Drain

Last edited by Kobazco,

Antivash

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I haven't played in ages, but I am left with a question.... Did Sword change the way EV's work? Because if not (And this is most certainly probably going to be nitpicky as fuck) the Power items (Power Belt, Power Lens, etc.) giving 16 EVs would be kind of inefficient. You can find a good explanation of how/why here but the TL;DR is as the video says: If an EV can be divided by 8, bad; if it can't, good.

Take your EVs in HP, for example. In the older games, 12 and 16 both give you one point. Which would be 4 wasted EVs. I know they increased the maximum number at some point, but I don't know if they changed how they effect stats as well.

NextChallenger

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Custom NPCs, the potential for future updates keeps increasing :)
I always liked the idea of a hack that doesn't touch what's already in the game (in terms of NPC dialogue specifically) but which also adds new NPCs with well thought-out new dialogue, to help to flesh out the world a little bit more, help it feel a bit more lived in and less like just a backdrop for Pokemon shenanigans. Not that that's my expectation for your project or anything, I'm already getting a lot out of it :3 Just something I've always wanted to see more of I suppose

Eevenin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I genuinely do like this change! I think it works well enough, as long as the increase in candies works at about the same rate as Dynamax Rarities go up. Seems to me that if you're giving money-items for farming Dynamax, you could make it a bit of a "choose your own adventure" way for people to level up if or when they need to by having them sell the raid items for EXP candies in whatever ratio makes sense. It certainly gives the player much more control.

You mentioned not being able to implement level caps, so I won't harp on this too much since I know they are completely and totally different engines under the hood, but I've also been playing "Unbound" where there are level caps tied to how the EXP Share works whenever you hit certain "flags" of trainer battles. If that were something that could be implemented, I think it would help alleviate a lot of the stress of scaling things to a more difficult curve while still letting us farm effectively for training our teams.

Is this update compatible with previous save files, or will I have to make a new one after dumping the 1.1 update into the mod folder?

Also: is it intended that "usable healing items" does not allow you to choose who you use HP restoratives on, and instead just automatically dumps on the 'mon who is out in battle?

Reactions: Kobazco

Kobazco

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I genuinely do like this change! I think it works well enough, as long as the increase in candies works at about the same rate as Dynamax Rarities go up. Seems to me that if you're giving money-items for farming Dynamax, you could make it a bit of a "choose your own adventure" way for people to level up if or when they need to by having them sell the raid items for EXP candies in whatever ratio makes sense. It certainly gives the player much more control.

You mentioned not being able to implement level caps, so I won't harp on this too much since I know they are completely and totally different engines under the hood, but I've also been playing "Unbound" where there are level caps tied to how the EXP Share works whenever you hit certain "flags" of trainer battles. If that were something that could be implemented, I think it would help alleviate a lot of the stress of scaling things to a more difficult curve while still letting us farm effectively for training our teams.

Is this update compatible with previous save files, or will I have to make a new one after dumping the 1.1 update into the mod folder?

Also: is it intended that "usable healing items" does not allow you to choose who you use HP restoratives on, and instead just automatically dumps on the 'mon who is out in battle?
Hey there! The EXP candy prices aren't heavily tested right now, as it we've been real busy to really do a lot of playtesting. But I hope the availability of them at all makes things better.

1.1 is compatible with previous save files.

No, that isn't intended, interesting side effect of previous item changes probably haha. Now that you mention it, I don't think the "usable healing items" is currently compatible with the new EXP candy/mint prices, so they'll likely be super cheap for anyone using that patch at the moment. Maybe I can fix that real quick.

Kobazco

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've just updated the "usable healing items" patch to include the new price changes, please update that file if you wanna use usable healing items in battle.

pato19

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina

• XS - 0 Badges ₽600
  • S - 2 Badges ₽1,000
  • M - 4 Badges ₽2,000
  • L - 6 Badges ₽8,000
  • XL - 7 Badges ₽50,000

• Power Bracer
  • Power Belt
  • Power Lens
  • Power Band
  • Power Anklet
  • Power Weight
  • Destiny Knot
  • PP Up
  • Razor Claw
  • Protector
  • Reaper Claw
  • Whipped Dream
  • Sachet

• Speed Down
  • HP down

• Bounce
  • Fling
  • Power Swap
  • Guard Swap
  • Speed Swap
  • Drain Punch
  • Trick Room
  • Wonder Room
  • Magic Room
  • Razor Shell
  • Mystical Fire

• Fire Punch
  • Ice Punch
  • Thunder Punch
  • Solar Blade
  • Self-Destruct
  • Giga Drain

Just awesome. I'm at the 7th badge, and can't wait to try it out and stop farming blisseys lmao. Now I can raid and buy candies which is far more enterteining. Appreciate the update!

Eevenin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, that isn't intended, interesting side effect of previous item changes probably haha. Now that you mention it, I don't think the "usable healing items" is currently compatible with the new EXP candy/mint prices, so they'll likely be super cheap for anyone using that patch at the moment. Maybe I can fix that real quick.

So, using the "usable healing items" item.dat in atmosphere/contents/[Shield] etc. seems to have messed something up with 1.1 because now none of my healing items show up at all.

Kobazco

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, using the "usable healing items" item.dat in atmosphere/contents/[Shield] etc. seems to have messed something up with 1.1 because now none of my healing items show up at all.
Were you using the previous version of 1.1 before hand? The different healing items patches changes what bag patch your items show up in, so it wouldn't be a surprise if it messed things up in that way. But I'll go ahead and make sure things are fine on my end.

Eevenin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Were you using the previous version of 1.1 before hand? The different healing items patches changes what bag patch your items show up in, so it wouldn't be a surprise if it messed things up in that way. But I'll go ahead and make sure things are fine on my end.
Ohhh, I need to update 1.1 with the items.dat too? I see now that the potions I bought and the burn heal I found have been dumped into Other Items, so that's a thing, but I'll try updating 1.1 again.

Kobazco

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ohhh, I need to update 1.1 with the items.dat too? I see now that the potions I bought and the burn heal I found have been dumped into Other Items, so that's a thing, but I'll try updating 1.1 again.
If you updated to 1.1 without the usable healing items before getting the new usable healing items.dat, all healing items you got would be put into the items slot to prevent them from being used in battle, yes.

If you wanna get rid of them, update to 1.1 and sell them all, then get the item.dat from usable healing items and that should let you get healing items into the medicine bag slot.

Eevenin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you updated to 1.1 without the usable healing items before getting the new usable healing items.dat, all healing items you got would be put into the items slot to prevent them from being used in battle, yes.

If you wanna get rid of them, update to 1.1 and sell them all, then get the item.dat from usable healing items and that should let you get healing items into the medicine bag slot.
I see, I missed the crucial step of selling the items before applying the usable item.dat. That said, there are no items showing up in "Medicine" within a wild battle even after the previous issues are fixed.

Kobazco

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see, I missed the crucial step of selling the items before applying the usable item.dat. That said, there are no items showing up in "Medicine" within a wild battle even after the previous issues are fixed.
It seems I just accidently made a way for medicine items to be in the medicine pouch but not usable in battle... That's really good and I'll be adding that to the main game but I'll find a way to fix the usable in battle issue in just a bit here.

Reactions: pato19

Eevenin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It seems I just accidently made a way for medicine items to be in the medicine pouch but not usable in battle... That's really good and I'll be adding that to the main game but I'll find a way to fix the usable in battle issue in just a bit here.
Hey, congrats. ;)

But yeah, no rush or anything, just reporting what I noticed for improvement of the modhack. Loving the 'mon variety and everything else so far!

Reactions: Kobazco

Kobazco

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, thanks for all the help! It should be working as intended now :)

As a result I also included a WIP custom NPC in Ballonlea's Pokecenter, go check it out!

Max Mushrooms can be bought at any Pokecenter starting after you get your 5th Gym Badge.
0100abf008968000_2021-10-29_13-57-52-364.png

Attachments

• 0100abf008968000_2021-10-29_13-58-12-316.png
    0100abf008968000_2021-10-29_13-58-12-316.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 77
  • 0100abf008968000_2021-10-29_13-58-22-964.png
    0100abf008968000_2021-10-29_13-58-22-964.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 73
Last edited by Kobazco,
Reactions: pato19

pato19

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Okay, thanks for all the help! It should be working as intended now :)

As a result I also included a WIP custom NPC in Ballonlea's Pokecenter, go check it out!

Max Mushrooms can be bought at any Pokecenter starting after you get your 5th Gym Badge.
View attachment 282223

Tried last version (17:40 aprox) with Usable healing items (29 oct), but healing items still don't appear in-battle to use. And I checked my bag, and they are on the medicine pocket

Kobazco

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tried last version (17:40 aprox) with Usable healing items (29 oct), but healing items still don't appear in-battle to use. And I checked my bag, and they are on the medicine pocket
Odd, its working for me. I went ahead and reuploaded it just in case so try downloading again and make sure you are putting the item.dat file in the correct place.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @Xdqwerty why cant they do so for the switch :sad:
  • A @ anotherthing:
    Online was free on the 3DS as well, and it worked well.
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    I can't help but think nintendo switch online is the reason we did not get a gameboy/n64/gamecube
    mini classic edition
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @salazarcosplay, i think it would have been impossible to see anything in a gameboy mini
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    well I meant that as a figure of speech
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    they could just rerelease a modern gameboy
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    like the pocket analogue
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    but nintendo licensed
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    dammit that thread got moved from offtopic to edge, well since that happened
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @LeoTCK, atleast it's still avaliable
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    yes but it wasn't meant to be a comedy thread
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    and edge of the forum is mostly comedy and games
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    so I don't get why it got moved at all
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @LeoTCK, mods are probably hating you
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    on most sites mods hated me, sooner or later, but usually over time I get either banned or the mods get used to me
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    sometimes to the point of thanking me for my quick actions etc against spam and other stuff, but yea...its either they come to respect me or outright hate me
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    If it's not game related, it will be moved to the Egde of the forum. Mods have moved a few of my threads also.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, it was in the off topic chat forum
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Well atleast they didn't delete it completely.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    hmm
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    uoiea
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    huh?
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: huh?