Pokemon director Junichi Masuda says Let's Go might be the last game he's in charge of directing

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Noctosphere

Noctosphere Adoptive father of my kitty named Zelda

GBAtemp Patron
    Noctosphere is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 30, 2013
    Canada
    Back with kitty Zelda forever :D
    yea well
    older pokemon games (pre BW I think) were much harder
    mainly because now, EXP. Share applies to all the party

2. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    it wasn't about being hard or easy, but the game itself, the cosntant tutorials on every trial or pokeride, or the cut-scenes with the girl or your friend which names escape me, they were so many and most of them had little to no reason, it was basically saying go there to continue.

srs i want a straight up pokemon game without crap cut-scenes or tutorials on any new area we enter.

i liked x and y and omega ruby and saphire even tough they were easy.

i love colosseum and XD and snap btw even tough they aren't main games, i just don't want another boring game like sun and moon.

heck the switch can make Colosseum graphic games, if we get something along those lines without the damn tutorials im fine with it.

3. Delerious

Delerious GBAtemp Regular

May 10, 2018
    United States
    California
    Makes sense. He's been at it for a long time. Though I do hope he still makes contributions with the music. Hopefully this also means that Pokemon will be pushed in a direction that include more challenging gameplay options for more seasoned players, and maybe even change the formula up a bit.

*EDIT: Grammar*

GachaBoi likes this.
  4. MegaGenesis

MegaGenesis Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 29, 2018
    Brazil
    While his more recent works can be classified as "not so great", he deserves to be praised for his years of hard work. I usually say on groups and other forums that Pokémon started getting good in Gen 3. Back in Gen 1 and 2 Pokémon was just a fad, even Game Freak employees at the time though about it. It was in the "Masuda Era" Pokémon started actually developing its rich world and lore, and gameplay mechanics. It became more than just a monster collecting game.

My only gripe with Masuda is the fact he needs help from others to finsih his work. He has some great ideas, but need other to flash it more, just look at Emerald and Platinum.

About Sun and Moon, i liked those games and understand what Game Freak intented there. They were a more experimental games, like Gen 5 was. Many players hate them, but kudos to the devs to have the guts to try something different in a super stale formula. My guess is S/M was intented to be a more storywise game, and to be discovered and played only once. Many Pokémon players don't care about the world,s tory or characters, and like to reset and play again and again. They made USM because of it and it turned to be one of the most boring and unnoriginal Pokémon games ever.

Anyway, thanks Junishi Masuda.

5. Eddypikachu

Eddypikachu GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 25, 2015
    United States
    I'm glad he's going, he's the reason we didn't get the battle frontier in ORAS, his reason for intentionally not including was so idiotic, it was "nowadays players get bored and frustrated more easily and they aren't interested in things that are so demanding/challenging." Anyways, hopefully the next director makes some great gameplay decisions

Wheth likes this.
  6. Plstic

Plstic Guru Meditation Error

Apr 21, 2010
    United States
    Milwaukee WI
    Good riddance. He's the reason the Let's go games are clunkers.

Varia likes this.
  7. SANIC

SANIC GBATemp's Sonic Fan in Residence, 後

Jan 13, 2017
    United States
    I will burn my bread.

Still Ultra Sun is my favorite game.

8. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    Good, let someone with a competitive side take the reigns, and stop treating us like children in a franchise we've been playing since 1996.

9. Ric-Are-Those

Ric-Are-Those Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 2, 2018
    United States
    For such a great man who respect a lot, way to go out with a wimper.

10. Xzi

Xzi Virtual Bartman

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    JFC still so much salt over Pokemon Let's Go not being targeted at 40-year-olds. :rolleyes:

Nobody's forcing anyone to keep buying Pokemon games. They're going to keep selling extremely well regardless. Deal with it.

Last edited by Xzi, Nov 3, 2018
    Flirkyn, Red771 and renes2 like this.
  11. robingilh

robingilh GBAtemp Regular

Dec 21, 2009
    France
    not far from a computer
    That's right, because earlier pokémon games were serious games for grown up man.

Xzi likes this.
  12. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolf-husky™ Marina is best waifu

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Many moons away
    Honestly, he's made A LOT of poor decisions and maybe it's about time he did step down. His recent choices haven't completely overshadowed all of his work and maybe it's best to just step down before it does.

13. Xzi

Xzi Virtual Bartman

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Precisely my point. God forbid they change things up without also catering to my specific wants. /s

Now, I fully expect the next Pokemon Switch release after Let's Go to make "hardcore" fans more pleased, but I still predict that some people will be mad about the changes they make, regardless of what those changes are.

Last edited by Xzi, Nov 3, 2018
    Ritsuki likes this.
  14. Ritsuki

Ritsuki ORAORAORAORA

Mar 15, 2008
    Switzerland
    Hahaha exactly, I love seeing grown-ups mad about Pokemon Let's Go when they're not the targeted audience :D
    I think I said that in another thread, but it would be like complaining about a reboot of Teletubbies : okay, but since you're not 2 years old, the product wasn't really made for you so...

Red771 and Xzi like this.
  15. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    actually lets go games are the games with the lowest amount of pre orders in history of main pokemon games.

16. Song of storms

Song of storms GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 18, 2018
    Antarctica
    No lol. They could literally sell another remake of the first generation and sell millions... oh wait, that's what they've done. Twice.

17. Kigiru

Kigiru GBAtemp Regular

Aug 11, 2017
    Poland
    Kinda sad to see him stepping down from being the director. Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire are my favorite Pokemon games and it was his debut as director and now it's over...

Tho i hope that he still will work with programing and most importantly music. His music is just so fucking good that for me this franchise can stop exist if there will be no Masuda as composer anymore.

Also, there will be no crazy shake-ups in this franchise. Probably minor twists on the idea like in SM are as far as we can get - Remember that Pokemon are not only single-player games, but also entire competetive enviroment and scrapping the battle mechanics will means scrapping said enviroment and there's like no fucking way that any company will do it. It's like asking Blizzard to remake Overwatch as Tower Defense game or other shit.

Last edited by Kigiru, Nov 3, 2018
  18. tiamat999

tiamat999 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 28, 2013
    United States
    Would rather they try to make something for casuals like me to do in game pvp ruined the single player enough it doesnt need any more work

19. Enryx25

Enryx25 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 25, 2016
    Italy
    You are the target audience for Let's GO Pikachu / Eevee.

20. tiamat999

tiamat999 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 28, 2013
    United States
    You mean i can finally have fun using legendaries in the whstever battle place its called this time