Pokémon Crystal debacle - help!

TensOfThousands

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let me preface this by saying that I am utterly out of my depth and have no clue what I’m doing. My husband is a Pokémon nut - has been playing for as long as I’ve known him. His favorite team, to which he was extremely attached, was on a gameboy color edition of Crystal. Years ago he realized the cartridge battery had died and that his team was lost. He was genuinely devastated. They were his friends. Is there anyone or any way to access the data on that cartridge? I’d love to be able to find a way to give them back to him. Is there any hope?

rantex92

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
nope but u can dump a new save then make him the "same" team with pkhex (i think that would be a legitimate case) and flash the save back onto the gbcard

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

SaulFabre

I like Yoshis and the Wii/Wii U scene.
Trophies
Website
saulfabreg-wiivc.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Ecuador
There is no way for restore a save file with the battery dead.

The battery gives energy to the saving chip for keep the save file info, and when it gets dead, the save info will be lost forever.

As far as I know the battery is required for power the save chip if the saving chip is SRAM (SRAM+battery), because i didn't see any battery looking at PCBs (motherboards) of games which use EEPROM for saving (some Nintendo 64 games, some Game Boy Advance games).

EDIT: Pokémon Crystal is made for Game Boy Color (GBC), not GBA (but it is still compatible with GBA though)

Axido

Maker of TRASLApp
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Did someone already mention that a dead battery means that the save is lost forever?

Jk, though in case you don't know about it already, you can at least open up the cartridge and carefully replace the battery with a new one. That won't bring back the save file, but you won't be stuck with a game that is unable to save your progress anymore... for the next fifteen to twenty years that is.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i was just aclarating it and adding some info that was not told here :)
There is yet something else missing: Second generation Pokemon games all include a real time clock (RTC) which needs way more power than SRAM. Nintendo knew this. Most older Game Boy (Color) games with a save feature have a CR1616 backup battery while Pokemon Gold/Silver/Chrystal have a CR2025 which has roughly three times the capacity. I have a lot of GB games dating back to as early as 1991 or 1992 with their tiny CR1616 still keeping SRAM alive after roughly three decades.
(S)NES and N64 use CR2032 which are even a little thicker, possibly because there is simply more room in big carts. Legend of Zelda I from the 1980s is still on the first battery.

Long story short: Nintendo knew very well what they were doing when including a CR2025 for the RTC (CR1616 could have resulted in A LOT of warranty claims since the small batteries would have died very fast). Nintendo knew that they would cause many tears some years after the release of gen 2.

As GBAtemp's Backup Reminder, I'll have to give the advise to backup important data for the future. Nowadays there are plenty of possibilities to deal with the SRAM problem:
  • Playing with a flashcart backing up the saves to PC from time to time
  • Playing on emulators (including official 3DS Virtual Console release)
    • Don't forget to backup the saves with Checkpoint/JKSM on 3DS. SDs go bad all the time!
  • Trading important Pokemon to another cart, replacing battery, trading back
  • Backing up SRAM from retail cart before the battery gives up. Warning sign: Clock does not advance anymore when Game Boy is off (or clock runs veeeery slowly). SRAM can still hold the save when the battery is on its last leg (1.5V instead of the nominal 3V can still work - such a battery will drop to 0V in some weeks.)
    • Everdrive on N64 + Transfer pack
    • Specialized hardware dumper
    • Game Boy Audio dumper (not easy, backup only, no restore to retail cart)

Axido

Maker of TRASLApp
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
While we`re at it, apparently Pokémon Stadium games on N64 store their saves on a flashRAM without any need for a battery. So, theoretically you could at least store your Gen I and II mons on a Pokémon Stadium 2 cartridge, though that's only a viable solution if you already have an N64, the game and a Transfer Pak.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Nowadays pc mice come as light as can be, liked mine with some heft
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You like holding girth
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, I also listen to Beck, some of their songs are fine. Only found out about them through Windows Me; you know, that one operating system nobody ever likes?
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    i dont know why tv manufactures put the hdmi ports in dumb locations so the cables have to stick out, and then down, putting strain on the ports. Instead of having the ports along the bottom edge of the tv facing downwards.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    windows me was mostly on laptops if i remembered correctly
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, I hate that too where you have to use an HDMI extension for an Amazon Fire Stick.
    +1
    I had a desktop with ME on it.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, And also cheap-ass desktop PCs like eMachines.
    Worst MS OS in history. Period.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My entertainment centers blocking all my io gotta fix that eventually
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I had used win 98 SE till XP arrived
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Had a ton of bugs and often crashed. It even didn't support DOS compatibility with older games. :feelsbadman:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I only grew up with Windows XP because I was lucky.
    I downloaded XP on dialup when it came out. Overnights for like a week. cuz I couldn't tie up the phone line during the day. It was so awesome and worked so great going from ME to XP.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vga pins were a dick
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I kind of want down a large pizza at 10am then crash out
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Having pizza all day? done it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah pizza hut open at 10:30
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    just buy a stack of pizza and keep the rest you don't need yet frozen
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or buy frozen pizza
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I buy the regular kind, not the frozen stuff
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    supermarket pizza is ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    x65 would just yell at me
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds ok, he didn't pull a gun out ,so...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $12 large any style pizza deal
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: $12 large any style pizza deal