Gaming Pokemon Black/White Anti-Piracy: DreamWorld?

Ulttimaa

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
SixtySixHundred said:
Just think of it this way, tightwads...

Imagine all the games you've ever pirated, then put a financial value to all those games.

Now wait until the next pathetic instalment of Pokemon (Gotta Buy Em All) comes out and see how much it will cost.

Correspond the Pokemon price against all your Pirated game prices and you will still be saving money!

If you cared about the Pokemon franchise at all, you would be paying developers for their 'work'.

While I agree with you, as I'll be purchasing an English copy of the game, there are a lot of people who still want to play the Japanese release, and plan on buying the English release, but don't want to pay for the Japanese.

Delta517

Its okay...Im a ninja ;)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
Everybody talked about how SMG2 was gonna have a extremely tough AP, but what happend? It didn't have any AP on it.
tongue.gif

BloodyFlame

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unless a flashcard comes out with a feature to use DSi Mode features, then I'm going to actually buy the game. I have more money than I know what to do with.

DarkShadow96

LA96£
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I was also thinking on how the dreamworld app would work.
SS/HG had tough AP on it so I wonder if they'll actually implement it on B/W except stronger. Maybe, maybe not... Time will tell...

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
LOL

Dreamworld is DS feature not DSI
tongue.gif

the .sav files most likely will be handled differently again but most likely this will be a form of AP
i can see the game be able to scan the accessible/changeable memory where the .sav is stored and making sure it only contains the sav data if not BAM AP kicks in

there is gonna have to be either some major rom editing or the loader handles games differently and only lets a game access the .sav for the gam and nothing else

defiantly gonna cause trouble tho

XXLANCEXX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't worry people they will crack it so don't assume that the AP is gonna be impossibe
NSMBW got cracked and that had AP in it.
Love Plus + has big AP in it
and lets not forget COP Recruit had the Biggest AP of them all
It's a matter of time that B/W will get a patch out
so that we can go on Dream World
(1-2weeks max tops)

Lunatics

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mr.Positive said:
Solution:

Don't use the Dreamworld until you hear that it's safe to use.

Why is everyone so afraid again?
Because people don't actually know what they are talking about and are acting as if by booting up Pokemon you are automatically connecting to this Dreamworld shit and the internet.

The worst this will do is make it like pirating any PC game. You can play the single player and offline all you want but may not be able to connect to the internet and play online. They aren't going to make a game that forces you to be connected to the internet to save or play the game unless it is specifically an online game. The amount of people who do not have Wifi is still very large and they are not going to screw over that entire market.

And just think about it for a minute, if they make a game that requires you to be online and upload your saves to them to be able to save or whatever the hell it is, that completely defeats the purpose of a portable gaming machine. You want to play on your 5 hours plane right? Well fuck you. You want to play on your 2 hour car ride to your grandparents house you are visiting for a few days who still use dial up? Fuck you too. you want to play while you're on vacation chilling on a beach relaxing? Screw you we don't care about you.

No, they would not do that. All this "fear" is unnecessary. Unless you're dumb and know that by connecting to the internet they can check your save, and continue to do it anyway...well, in that case you shouldn't even be pirating games if you lack that small amount of common sense.

Edit: I just went back and re read, this is an actual website you need to physically go to yourself and upload your save file yourself and you're all worrying about it being anti piracy and not being able to play the game...brilliant idea, you don't go to this website and upload your save and you play the game normally as if it were any other game /face.

XXLANCEXX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lunatics said:
Mr.Positive said:
Solution:

Because people don't actually know what they are talking about and are acting as if by booting up Pokemon you are automatically connecting to this Dreamworld shit and the internet.

The worst this will do is make it like pirating any PC game. You can play the single player and offline all you want but may not be able to connect to the internet and play online. They aren't going to make a game that forces you to be connected to the internet to save or play the game unless it is specifically an online game. The amount of people who do not have Wifi is still very large and they are not going to screw over that entire market.

And just think about it for a minute, if they make a game that requires you to be online and upload your saves to them to be able to save or whatever the hell it is, that completely defeats the purpose of a portable gaming machine. You want to play on your 5 hours plane right? Well fuck you. You want to play on your 2 hour car ride to your grandparents house you are visiting for a few days who still use dial up? Fuck you too. you want to play while you're on vacation chilling on a beach relaxing? Screw you we don't care about you.

No, they would not do that. All this "fear" is unnecessary. Unless you're dumb and know that by connecting to the internet they can check your save, and continue to do it anyway...well, in that case you shouldn't even be pirating games if you lack that small amount of common sense.

Edit: I just went back and re read, this is an actual website you need to physically go to yourself and upload your save file yourself and you're all worrying about it being anti piracy and not being able to play the game...brilliant idea, you don't go to this website and upload your save and you play the game normally as if it were any other game /face.
This made me Lulz cause its true lol
rofl.gif
rofl.gif

Silent Storm

Trophies
XP
Country
Lunatics said:
Mr.Positive said:
Solution:

+1. This is pretty much my opinion on the matter.

SS4

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Until the 3DS comes out, we don't have to worry about the games connecting to the internet on their own for piracy check. Since we can't even be 100% sure the 3DS will have such a feature, don't worry about games on the DS ^^

Hesuchia

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Agreed. Besides, the evolution of anti-piracy methods brings about an evolution in piracy methods.

In any case, I'm planning on buying the game anyway. The series is too fun and I'd say it's worth having a legitimate cartridge just to not have to wait/worry.

evandixon

PMD Researcher
Developer
Trophies
Website
projectpokemon.org
XP
Country
United States
Dimensional said:
boudincaca said:
BortzANATOR said:
Pirated data on a harddrive looks just like legitimate data. Its near impossible to determine. Whats a website going to do?

Indeed, (as long as the save file size is OK) there is no way to tell which game is legit or not...

Except if every game have an unique game ID built in.

If thousand of people connect with the same GAME id (and so, obviously with a rom) => BANHAMMER TIME!
I don't think Nintendo would do something like that. It might seem easy enough, but to give each game a unique ID would require that the programmers make individual copies of the game and manually change the header information. That would increase the cost of the game by a huge amount.
Make the process automated.
Make the actual game id the same, but add a serial number that is checked whenever there is wireless communication, either on Wifi, or locally (so you can't trade or do anything if some or all connected games have serial numbers that are not unique).

If someone tries to change the serial number to be unique, then the CRC would be different, so an anti-piracy check on the CRC would detect the change, in addition to closely monitering RAM, so Action Replay Codes cannot be used to trick the game into thinking that the game is legit.

S

solarsaturn9

I don't think this will be a problem....
but even if it where... OH MY GAWSH! YOU MIGHT HAVE TO BUY A GAME! OH NOES!!!

DJ91990

Grookey Gang!
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
That would be impossible to achieve.

The way the flash cards work is that they patch the ROM data so the Nintendo DS hardware will be able to read the unsigned code. The way anti-piracy works is that it will either check for a specific piece of hardware on the cartridge (I.E. IR, Port, etc.) or look at specific hex addresses in memory that would be affected by patches and poorly designed cheat codes and crashes the game after checking the addresses and comparing them to a pre-defined address value.

Listen, I may not be a game programmer, but I can understand logic, and I am sure that if you were to look into how anti-piracy works it would work in a similar manner to the ways described above.

AP BREAKDOWN:
1)Check for Patches -> 2)Check for Changed Address Code in 0xXXXXXXXX -> 3) Check for Hardware Chip MARIO CHIP 1 -> IF any previous checksums equal FALSE THEN CRASH (or insert command string, I.E. Erase Save Files, Crash Game, Send BAN Request to Ban MAC address, etc.)

-Also Chris_Skylock, why are you so damn worried about the anti-piracy in the Pokemon Black and White games. If the games do not function in an emulator or flashcard there will be patches either for the firmware of the flashcard you are using, the ROM file itself, or the emulator to bypass the anti-piracy and allow the game to be played as normal.

Chris_Skylock, what you SHOULD be worried about is that if you have a decent understanding of JAPANESE HARIGANA. KATAKANA, AND KANGI. If you do not, then you will find if difficult to finish the game due to the language barrier and have to wait until spring 2011 to play the game and be able to understand the story and what it is that you need to do in order to get past some area or puzzle.

By the way, I am currently seeking free methods for learning Japanese. I am not just doing this to be able to play Pokemon. I am doing this so that I will be able to play every Japanese tittle out there as well as communicate with some Japanese Youtubers out there (Like the one guy that makes HALO KART 64 and SUPER CHIEF WORLD)

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
NarutoFreak said:
I think we should call it the HeartSoul incident because it's a terrible memory and these games probably are going to be the hardest to crack
ohnoes.png
A terrible memory? Really? I thought it was quite amusing, to be honest. So many idiots complaining about how they couldn't get the game working on their flashcarts, making new patches (most of which weren't even working at all) all the time, complaining some more, and so forth.

Surely, Black and White will have an even tougher-to-crack anti-piracy, but everything can be cracked. Remember when GTA: Chinatown Wars was just dumped? Everyone was going all crazy on how the game would never be playable, because it used a new kind of save type.

A couple of days later, GTA: CW was cracked.

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
Trophies
XP
Country
Ellie said:
NarutoFreak said:
I think we should call it the HeartSoul incident because it's a terrible memory and these games probably are going to be the hardest to crack
ohnoes.png
A terrible memory? Really? I thought it was quite amusing, to be honest. So many idiots complaining about how they couldn't get the game working on their flashcarts, making new patches (most of which weren't even working at all) all the time, complaining some more, and so forth.

Surely, Black and White will have an even tougher-to-crack anti-piracy, but everything can be cracked. Remember when GTA: Chinatown Wars was just dumped? Everyone was going all crazy on how the game would never be playable, because it used a new kind of save type.

A couple of days later, GTA: CW was cracked.
Everything you just said is perfect.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night