Homebrew Pokemon Black/White 2 Desmume graphical glitch

mira_drgn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EDIT: I don't know how this slipped by in my testing, maybe I didn't restart the core properly, but after messing around some more it seems that enabling OpenGL Rasterizer in the core settings fixes the issue now, at least for me.

If mods want to delete this thread that's fine, I figured I may as well leave it up for future google-ers like me running into the same issue.

--

Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask for help with this, it seemed like the most fitting forum since it's an emulation issue.

I'm playing Pokemon Black 2 on the Retroarch Desmume core, and whenever the game does a zoom transition such as when entering a building, the screen temporarily glitches out, displaying 2 squished corrupted copies of the top screen. This only happens when rendering at higher than native resolution. I've toggled about every graphical option I could find in both Desmume and Retroarch's settings, including switching between D3D/OpenGL/Vulkan, and nothing else seems to affect it besides resolution.

The Melon core simply refuses to load the game at all, and the Desmume 2015 core fixes the green glitchy image but briefly displays a zoomed-in, skewed image of the newly loaded area before going back to normal. It's also lacking in some options and features that make the game a lot easier on my eyes, such as AA.

The Desmume devs seem aggressively disinterested in compatibility with the DS Pokemon games, so it doesn't seem like something that will be fixed with the emulator anytime soon. So, does anyone know of any other emulators known to have good compatibility with BW2 that don't have graphical glitches like this, and also support higher rendering resolutions (and ideally other enhancements like AA or shaders)? Or is there maybe a patch or hack someone has made somewhere that fixes the transitions? Maybe a setting I've overlooked that would fix it? Any help is appreciated.

Screenshots of the Desmume (current) and Desmume 2015 glitches respectively:
Pokemon - Black Version 2 (USA, Europe) (NDSi Enhanced)-210109-115636.png Pokemon - Black Version 2 (USA, Europe) (NDSi Enhanced)-210109-125058.png

Last edited by mira_drgn,

Real.96

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Why not play the game on a standalone DS emulator?
Is is possible to play them on No$gba? Cause i can't pass the blue screen "The save can't be accessed". I set up correctly the DSi firmware, i also tryed to run them from DSi menu....
I need no$gba to work so i can debug them

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I fixed the blue screen error but I'm getting a black screen after the initial cut scene t.t
Maybe you have a bad rom dump?

Install 7-Zip, right mouse click the .NDS rom → CRC SHA CRC-32. Verify that the file's hash value matches one of the known good scene releases.

There are many regional and revision update re-releases of Pokemon - Black 2. You'll have to manually search the records listed on,
Any of the ones labelled as or "bad dump" or found not to have a matching good CRC-32 should be replaced.

Real.96

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Maybe you have a bad rom dump?

Install 7-Zip, right mouse click the .NDS rom → CRC SHA CRC-32. Verify that the file's hash value matches one of the known good scene releases.

There are many regional and revision update re-releases of Pokemon - Black 2. You'll have to manually search the records listed on,
Any of the ones labelled as or "bad dump" or found not to have a matching good CRC-32 should be replaced.
No bad dumps, i checked all checksums and they're the same. BW1 worked, only problem are B2W2.
Can you pls try if are able and let me know?

Last edited by Real.96,

Moon164

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
It's strange, I didn't have this problem with DeSmume, I even used it to connect with my Nintendo DS Lite to make some Pokémon trades and battle.

Try to use another build, maybe it will work.

Real.96

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It's strange, I didn't have this problem with DeSmume, I even used it to connect with my Nintendo DS Lite to make some Pokémon trades and battle.

Try to use another build, maybe it will work.

Desmume is different from no$gba. I fixed it modifying the exe. There is the guide in gbatemp

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We just question @AncientBoi
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.