Pokemon Black 2 & White 2 - Battle Footage!

gloweyjoey

who??
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yellow had a different starter and was still Gen I
Different doesn't mean new. Yellow had Pikachu as a starter, but all the rest of Gen I starters were available quite soon after playing a bit. Since this is gen V, they could basically change the starters, but making new ones is a different matter.. :)
Youre right, different doesn't mean new, but "new starters" can mean different pokemon from the same gen set making them "new starters". Seems like youre trying to split hairs just to troll. You knew what I meant.
No.
Lucifer666 was clearly talking about brand new, non-Gen V Pokémon and not existing, Gen V Pokémon.
I am aware of what lucifer said, as I quoted it in my first post. After he says "my bad" he goes on to talk about snivy and oshawott as starters and having 2 of each of them, but having something different(not just a new gen) would be nice to have. Having different starters in this sense would not imply any sort of new gen as was the case with yellow, which I was just pointing out.

Sorry, if i tried to look at it in a less superficial way. Maybe Luci was still caught up in a new gen idea when he says this, but it seems more like at that point, he forgoes the new lineup and just wants something different to start with aside from snivy and oshawott.(and tepig)
It would be weird if they picked three random Grass/Fire/Water types from Gen V to be the starters, though.
It would also be weird if Snivy/Tepig/Oshawott just became regular, common Pokémon.
They dont have to be three random grass/fire/water types.They dont have to become common Pokemon. They can be whatever they want them to be. In fact, they can remove them from the game entirely and make you trade them in from 1 if they wanted to. Or be like yellow, where you get them from NPCs along your way, and then in yellow you had to trade in pikachus if you wanted more than one. So really there are lots of options they can go with, without making a new gen.

D

Deleted-236924

Different doesn't mean new. Yellow had Pikachu as a starter, but all the rest of Gen I starters were available quite soon after playing a bit. Since this is gen V, they could basically change the starters, but making new ones is a different matter.. :)
Youre right, different doesn't mean new, but "new starters" can mean different pokemon from the same gen set making them "new starters". Seems like youre trying to split hairs just to troll. You knew what I meant.
No.
Lucifer666 was clearly talking about brand new, non-Gen V Pokémon and not existing, Gen V Pokémon.
I am aware of what lucifer said, as I quoted it in my first post. After he says "my bad" he goes on to talk about snivy and oshawott as starters and having 2 of each of them, but having something different(not just a new gen) would be nice to have. Having different starters in this sense would not imply any sort of new gen as was the case with yellow, which I was just pointing out.

Sorry, if i tried to look at it in a less superficial way. Maybe Luci was still caught up in a new gen idea when he says this, but it seems more like at that point, he forgoes the new lineup and just wants something different to start with aside from snivy and oshawott.(and tepig)
It would be weird if they picked three random Grass/Fire/Water types from Gen V to be the starters, though.
It would also be weird if Snivy/Tepig/Oshawott just became regular, common Pokémon.
They dont have to be three random grass/fire/water types.They dont have to become common Pokemon. Then can be whatever they want them to be. In fact, they can remove them from the game entirely and make you trade them in from 1 if they wanted to. Or be like yellow, where you get them from NPCs along your way, and then in yellow you had to trade in pikachus if you wanted more than one. So really there are lots of options they can go with, without making a new gen.
But starters would have to be Grass/Fire/Water, or there would be no "combat triangle."

gloweyjoey

who??
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No.

They dont have to be three random grass/fire/water types.They dont have to become common Pokemon. Then can be whatever they want them to be. In fact, they can remove them from the game entirely and make you trade them in from 1 if they wanted to. Or be like yellow, where you get them from NPCs along your way, and then in yellow you had to trade in pikachus if you wanted more than one. So really there are lots of options they can go with, without making a new gen.
But starters would have to be Grass/Fire/Water, or there would be no "combat triangle."
pikachu is electric......

D

Deleted-236924

Yellow is an entierely different case, considering there is only one starter.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
pikachu is electric......
Yellow was based on the original anime (or closely so) which justifies using another starter (and just one for that matter). Also do note that during the time of R/B/Y there wasn't internet/WiFi/IR trading. It required a cable and was a lot harder to collect all pokémon in one game (especially if you didn't have friends with the game). Now it'd just be awkward just like Pinguoin7 said

Ninja'd

gloweyjoey

who??
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh shit my bad, Sorry, I was unaware that yellow doesnt count as a main series pokemon installment in Pingouin7 land.
This still doesn't disproves my point.
you didnt make a point....
Unless it was the combat triangle thing, which is bogus cause that doesnt go anywhere just because you have a different starter. Everything will still be super effective to what its supposed to.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Dude, I was in the 6th grade trading pokemon underthe table at school with my friend with r/b. I dont see any of this making anything awkward. and it kind of seems irrelevant really to the topic at hand.
It's not about how you can or cannot trade. I never said you couldn't trade, I said it was a lot harder to collect all the pokémon in one game. Regarding starters, it's quite relevant since you can basically get any Pokémon in the wild excluding starters and a few rare/event Pokémon. Changing the starter to something else would make it have to be a) not a starter b) not a legendary c) not an event Pokémon and d) something not around every corner of the games. There are only a few that fit that description in B/W.

Also you completely ignored the part about Pikachu being Ash's starter and thus justified since Yellow was basically based on the Anime.

Edit: Typo.

D

Deleted-236924

Oh shit my bad, Sorry, I was unaware that yellow doesnt count as a main series pokemon installment in Pingouin7 land.
This still doesn't disproves my point.
you didnt make a point....
Unless it was the combat triangle thing, which is bogus cause that doesnt go anywhere just because you have a different starter. Everything will still be super effective to what its supposed to.
Considering you STILL don't understand, here's a picture:

Xb2ih.png

With Grass/Fire/Water, each starter is strong against one and weak against the other.
There was no need for that kind of balance in Yellow because Pikachu was the only starter.

(And for the record, I do consider Yellow to be mostly a spin-off based on the Anime.)

gloweyjoey

who??
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I understood what you meant about the starters and their effectivness to eachother.

Yes yellow is different, that was my point from the get go. Not all games have to retain the same thing. They could put 3 starters of types other than fire water and grass and have it still be a triangle with your rival picking the one super effective against you. Or make it one, and have your rival take eevee like we've seen. We will probably see something change eventually anyway.

Yellow is just a tweaked r/b/g made to be more like the anime, but still considered a gen 1 main series game.

ForteGospel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
they could even let you choose from the starters of another gen, and then after some kind of ingame event (like getting into the unova's main region) get one of the gen 5 starters.

its not like they didnt do it before (only the other way around)

D

Deleted-236924

Yes yellow is different, that was my point from the get go. Not all games have to retain the same thing.

They could put 3 starters of types other than fire water and grass and have it still be a triangle with your rival picking the one super effective against you. Or make it one, and have your rival take eevee like we've seen. We will probably see something change eventually anyway.
1- Except that B2/W2 has you choose between three starters, while Yellow doesn't give you a choice.

2- Show me a combat triangle that would be as good as the Grass/Fire/Water one.
(Also, it would suck if we were forced to have one specific starter.)

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal

gloweyjoey

who??
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes yellow is different, that was my point from the get go. Not all games have to retain the same thing.

They could put 3 starters of types other than fire water and grass and have it still be a triangle with your rival picking the one super effective against you. Or make it one, and have your rival take eevee like we've seen. We will probably see something change eventually anyway.
1- Except that B2/W2 has you choose between three starters, while Yellow doesn't give you a choice.

2- Show me a combat triangle that would be as good as the Grass/Fire/Water one.
(Also, it would suck if we were forced to have one specific starter.)
1. We've known these two pieces of information from the beginning of the conversation.

2.Rock/Fighting/Flying, Fire/Rock/Steel and Grass/Poison/Ground.

3. My point still stands. Having different starters, granted that they are not brand new pokemon, does not imply a new gen.

D

Deleted-236924

3. My point still stands. Having different starters, granted that they are not brand new pokemon, does not imply a new gen.

Not really, considering the matter at hand in the first place was "having three entirely new Pokémon as starters."

gloweyjoey

who??
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Not really, considering the matter at hand in the first place was "having three entirely new Pokémon as starters."
Considering Luci WAS talking about a rumor of entirely NEW pokemon starters, and once he found out it was bogus he exclaimed he would like still like to have "new starters" that are not the same starters from B/W IMPLYING they COULD be pokemon that WERE NOT starters before. Of course this is all hypothetical, remember.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLN9qrJ8ESs