Pokemon Battle Academy announced, is a board game that teaches players how to play the TCG

p95uWDg.png

The Pokemon Company has announced its latest project, which is being referred to as a board game related to the Pokemon Trading Card Game. Titled Pokemon Trading Card Game Battle Academy, it comes with everything one needs to play the TCG, along with a board that teaches players the rules, and a tutorial booklet that explains the intricacies of the game. Also included will be "accessories to enhance your game" and three full decks of legitimate TCG cards. It's being called a "board game adaptation of the TCG", but how this stands out from pre-existing starter deck sets that also come with their own playmats and rulebooks isn't quite clear, but you'll be able to buy it and see for yourself when the game launches on June 21st as a Target store exclusive in the United States, or July 31st for the rest of the world.

Bellevue, Wash.—June 1, 2020—Today, The Pokémon Company International has announced the Pokémon Trading Card Game Battle Academy, the first-ever board game adaptation of the Pokémon TCG, one of the most beloved and best-selling trading card games in the world. Providing everything a “Trainer” needs to master the basics of the Pokémon TCG, Battle Academy offers fun family entertainment, combining strategic Pokémon TCG gameplay within a classic, easy-to-learn family game experience.

Known for its beautifully illustrated cards that are fun to collect, trade, and play with, the Pokémon TCG features a vast assortment of product offerings with something for every Trainer—from casual collector to avid competitor. Now, with the introduction of Battle Academy, there are even more accessible options for aspiring players.

“Battle Academy is designed to be easy to learn and fun to play for all types of Trainers, including children and parents that may be new to the Pokémon TCG,” said J.C. Smith, senior director of consumer marketing at The Pokémon Company International. “Pokémon has a unique ability to bring people together, and we look forward to seeing families enjoy Battle Academy at their next game night, as parents bond with their kids over one of their favorite entertainment brands and collectible Pokémon TCG cards.”

Each Battle Academy box comes with a two-player game board, three 60-card decks, tutorial guides, and gameplay accessories. It also comes with a code card that allows Trainers to enjoy the Pokémon TCG digitally through the free-to-play Pokémon Trading Card Game Online app on iOS and Android, as well as on Pokemon.com.

Launching around the world on July 31, 2020, Battle Academy will be available widely at participating mass and hobby retailers, as well as online retailers including PokemonCenter.com, the premier destination for official, high-quality Pokémon merchandise in the US. In addition, Trainers in the US will be able to grab Battle Academy early on June 21, 2020, exclusively at Target stores and online at Target.com.

For more information about Battle Academy, please visit https://tcg.pokemon.com/en-us/battle-academy/.

:arrow: Source

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
what exactly is the point of the boardgame part? how would a boardgame teach the rules? are you sure it's not just a playmat with all the zones but cardboard?
Added the press release email where TPCI themselves call it a "board game". They're referring to it as a board game adaptation of the TCG, but they don't go into detail about that. It's further confusing because yeah, the board just looks to be a playmat.

Mythical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You shouldn't need to have a board game to teach people how to play your card game lol, but hey maybe I'm too tcg savvy for this.
Looks like it could be fun for new people to pokemon

D

Deleted User

If your Card Game needs a fucking Board Game to teach players how to play it, maybe you need to go back to the drawing board and redesign your Card Game from the ground up.

CrossOut

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What would be great is if they released a new trading card game like the 1st two on the Gameboy Colour. Even better officially release the 2nd version of the Gameboy game as well since it was not released anywhere outside of Japan. The first game must have not sold very well.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that's about 10 years too late.
More like 20+, when I was a kid when they first came out, no one cared about the "game" aspect of the cards, only the trading part and the actual GB games and tv show.
Before they faded out of popularity ive never seen anyone try and play the game or even attempt to learn the rules, I guess the people who actually cared about card games went to yugioh instead, of course youalso had magic the gathering fans who werent really interested in it.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
What would be great is if they released a new trading card game like the 1st two on the Gameboy Colour. Even better officially release the 2nd version of the Gameboy game as well since it was not released anywhere outside of Japan. The first game must have not sold very well.

To be fair is not like Digimon been better, the only digital card game of Digimon you can find besides the PS1 game is a pay to win Android game.

Reactions: CrossOut

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be fair is not like Digimon been better, the only digital card game of Digimon you can find besides the PS1 game is a pay to win Android game.

It sucks Digomon didn't become mainstream like Pokemon I remember they had a TV show but I think after season 2 they canceled I hear good things about the games unfortunately I never played them.I used to watch alot of Digimon on TV that's when you had to catch the New Yu-gi-Oh episodes at 8am in the morning oh 2002-2004 was awesome years

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
More like 20+, when I was a kid when they first came out, no one cared about the "game" aspect of the cards, only the trading part and the actual GB games and tv show.
Before they faded out of popularity ive never seen anyone try and play the game or even attempt to learn the rules, I guess the people who actually cared about card games went to yugioh instead, of course youalso had magic the gathering fans who werent really interested in it.
Me and my pals used to play the actual card game, but it was very boring. The Digimon tcg was actually more fun. Then, as you said, we moved on to yugioh pretty fast. The whole prize system in the pokemon tcg was always stupid to me.

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Would say any kiddo that's interested in learning how to play the tcg nowadays and has a lil bit of smarts is just gonna search a tutorial online or something.

They should've just released this on switch instead:

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
It sucks Digomon didn't become mainstream like Pokemon I remember they had a TV show but I think after season 2 they canceled I hear good things about the games unfortunately I never played them.I used to watch alot of Digimon on TV that's when you had to catch the New Yu-gi-Oh episodes at 8am in the morning oh 2002-2004 was awesome years

Digimon got four shows.

An hiatus.

Then a show.

Then another hiatus.

Then two shows.

Then another hiatus.

Then a show.

And now they are making a remake of the first show.

And that's not counting all the movies, manga, comics, the card game, Ovas and games.

Last edited by raxadian,
Reactions: AlexMCS and aMp

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
But Magic the Gathering is for nerds though

Reactions: CallmeBerto

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ubisoft should #stopkillinggames ngl
  • Badcatalex @ Badcatalex:
    sony should #stopkillinggames
  • Badcatalex @ Badcatalex:
    they killed LittleBigPlanet online, which was the main core of every LBP game
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    for real
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    at least with them, it was because of the DDOS attacks, ubisoft was just scummy
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?