Pokémon text editing, items that has gender

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by MaiconErick, Jun 28, 2017.

1. MaiconErick
    OP

MaiconErick Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 4, 2016
    Brazil
    Hello,
    In the Pokémon text files for the 3DS games, there is this "var", [VAR GENDBR(00xx,xxxx)].
    It is used for lines that has different words based on the gender of the player.

For example, there's this line from a narrator:
    His performance at the contest was great! > This line is displayed if the player is male.
    Her performance at the contest was great! > This line is displayed if the player is female.

The text saved on the ROMFS would be:
    H[VAR GENDBR(00FF,0202)]iser performance at the contest was great!

This is based on the player's gender. But for items, like this line in Spanish:
    (There's no example in English for this, as English nouns are neutral.)

Es[VAR GENDBR(0000,0101)]ea [VAR ITEM2(0000)] es azul.

Pokéball is an item that's female on most latin languages. If they're talking about a Pokéball, this would be the displayed text in game:
    Esa Poké Ball es azul. (This Pokéball is blue.)​

But if they're talking about the item Calcium, that is male, it would be like this:
    Ese Carbón es azul. (This Charcoal is blue.)​

So, somewhere in the ROM, there's information about the gender of the items. I am translating ORAS to Brazilian Portuguese, so I need to change the items gender to match this target language. I need help. :x

2. Sliter

Sliter GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 7, 2013
    Brazil
    ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
    I know there are gender values for the MC, but I don't think it have for item and pokemon... maybe the Spanish must have, if not, I think it's not there ... we would have to program something in the game so it works there õ3o

(thanks god you found that too ... later translation would make a " bem vindo(a)" ... or worse ... "bemvindox" xAX lololo )

MaiconErick likes this.
  3. MaiconErick
    OP

MaiconErick Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 4, 2016
    Brazil
    I'm pretty sure that information is in the rom already.
    ¿Cuánt[VAR GENDBR(0000,0101)]oas [VAR ITEMPLUR1][VAR ITEM2(0000)] quieres?

It just wouldn't make sense to use "Cuántos" for a female item. Otherwise they would just use a neutral pattern, which would be weird, like: "¿Cuántos deste item: Poké Ball quieres?"

Last edited by MaiconErick, Jun 28, 2017