OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
pokecheats.net
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone successfully dumped their save file for Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity? My R4i Save Dongle was unable to detect the game, so I cannot dump the file. Other 3DS games such as Pokémon Rumble, work fine with the dongle and can be dumped successfully. Perhaps Nintendo has implemented a new type of flash chip in the cart? If no one else is able to successfully dump their save, I'll rip my cart apart this weekend and grab a few scans of flash chip. My goal is to create a savegame editor for the game, if possible.

EDIT:
Although the R4i Save Dongle software is unable to dump the savegame (I tested versions 1.4 and 1.5), I have had success using 005Tools. I've uploaded my savegame dump for those of you who are curious (filesize is 512kB): http://pokecheats.net/db/3DS/LNA-CTR-APDE-USA.sav

CollosalPokemon

ばん。。。かい
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would it really matter?

It uses the newer save type so even if it could be backed up, you can't decrypt or restore it properly. (unless the save is exactly the same as the save on the cart)

My goal is to create a savegame editor for the game, if possible.

I can say an editor won't be possible any time soon. A viewer maybe***, but unlike DS save files, each 3DS save game is contained in a format which uses HMAC verification. You can't modify any 3DS save file and expect it to load in-game without a special key to generate the MAC. Only neimod has succeeded in dumping that key, and he isn't sharing it any time soon. If I had to guess, it's so Nintendo won't make saves even harder to modify. I remember soon after he/yellows8 leaked the first save decryption method, Nintendo made up a new save encryption method so Super Mario 3D Land saves (and any game save for games released after Super Mario 3D Land) can't be decrypted by the same method.

*** = once SM3DL+ game saves can be decrypted. Currently you can't decrypt SM3DL+ saves so neither a viewer nor editor is plausible atm

Edit- you can view more in-depth information here:

http://3dbrew.org/wiki/Savegames

Reactions: Kyohack

Kyohack

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
pokecheats.net
XP
Country
United States
Would it really matter?

It uses the newer save type so even if it could be backed up, you can't decrypt or restore it properly. (unless the save is exactly the same as the save on the cart)

I can say an editor won't be possible any time soon. A viewer maybe***, but unlike DS save files, each 3DS save game is contained in a format which uses HMAC verification. You can't modify any 3DS save file and expect it to load in-game without a special key to generate the MAC. Only neimod has succeeded in dumping that key, and he isn't sharing it any time soon. If I had to guess, it's so Nintendo won't make saves even harder to modify. I remember soon after he/yellows8 leaked the first save decryption method, Nintendo made up a new save encryption method so Super Mario 3D Land saves (and any game save for games released after Super Mario 3D Land) can't be decrypted by the same method.

*** = once SM3DL+ game saves can be decrypted. Currently you can't decrypt SM3DL+ saves so neither a viewer nor editor is plausible atm

Edit- you can view more in-depth information here:

http://3dbrew.org/wiki/Savegames
Ah, thank you for letting me know! It has been quite some time since I payed any attention to the 3DS hacking scene, and I forgot about the issues with newer saves.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night