Points cards and Club Nintendo

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by Blaze163, Jun 8, 2011.

Jun 8, 2011
  1. Blaze163
    OP

Member Blaze163 The White Phoenix's purifying flame.

United Kingdom
    I had a thought. We all get the Stars cards in all our new 3DS games and the like, which we can redeem on the Club Nintendo website. Personally I spent 2500 of these points getting myself a case for my 3DS in the shape of a Mario hat. But I digress. We've now got the 3DS E-shop and personally I'm finding it a touch expensive. The DSiWare games for example, like Shantae is over a tenner. Of course most of the content is rendered pointless by my vast array of retro consoles and emulators but still. I got to thinking. Do you think Nintendo will start offering the 3DS E-Store points cards on the Club Nintendo website, to be redeemed with our Stars?

Does anyone else think the E-Store prices are a bit steep? Example, Link's Awakening DX just hit the UK store for just over £5. Considering it can be just as easily emulated for free and you'd not be missing any content, doesn't that seem a bit expensive for a game that old?

2. Takeshi

Member Takeshi GBAtemp Addict

Germany
    They did it with the old Nintendo points, so I don't see what's stopping them to do the same with the new eShop points. I never really liked the exchange rate though.

By that definition every game that can be pirated (edit: or emulated) is too expensive.

3. Blaze163
    OP

United Kingdom
    I'm just saying, if the price is set too high then people will seek alternatives, in this case piracy. If it was a reasonable price I'd probably buy it myself since Link's Awakening is one of my favourite games ever (my phone's alarm tone is Marin's Song of Awakening) but it seems too expensive for a game that's older than most of the people playing it.

4. Weaselpipe

Member Weaselpipe Erratic Temp user

United Kingdom
    The stars catalogue is the overpriced bit here! Seriously for the miniscule amount of stars you get with each £30-£40 purchase you need to spend a lot of money to get that SNES classic controller (was released just after I rinsed all my points on Wii points, humph)
    Nintendo are pricing things according to how good it is, seemingly. Personally I don't think it is TOO overpriced- it is bigger than many NES games that are almost the same price on Wii VC, and has plenty of replay value. Super Mario Land is more than other GB games, but is painfully addictive and easy to pick up and play

Edit- the youngsters are alread being ripped off with Zelda clones on I & Android devices, let them have the real thing on a real platform, and give some money to the people who invented it in the first place!

5. Shiro09

Member Shiro09 AAI2 Localisation Team

Australia
    Yeh, in the DSiWare section some games are $12, kind of a rip off.

6. Blaze163
    OP

United Kingdom
    If games are being priced based on how addictive they are then be prepared to pay your soul for Tetris.

7. Shiro09

Australia
    Yay a $1000 game. But seriously, I hope they decrease the prices.

8. Weaselpipe

United Kingdom
    Not just addictiveness, but how well they first did- also how in demand they are. On the Wii VC you can buy Super Mario Bros 1 and 3 for the same price- as good as the original is, it was a game packed with the console and is graphically inferior and nowhere near as long as 3. At least this system is fairer on people who want a quick nostalgia hit from a game that's not worth as much as some others!

I would also like to see a price decrease, but will get Links awakening anyway (despite it being the main thing I do on my phone- thanks, MEBoy!)

9. Shiro09

Australia
    Yeh, I'll definetely get Link's Awakening, after I get the pre paid cards.

10. Weaselpipe

United Kingdom
    The pre-paid cards don't seem to be out here in the UK yet, let us know if you have any luck!

11. Shiro09

Australia
    Can't you use the Prepaid cards for the Wii and DSi shop channel with the 3DS eShop?

12. spiritofcat

Member spiritofcat GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    Nope! All you can use is Credit Card or 3DS eShop prepaid cards. It says so in the eShop manual.

13. Weaselpipe

United Kingdom
    And if you look on your Wii, it seems like the points cards are being phased out in favour of real money anyway

14. ShawnTRods

Member ShawnTRods GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    I definetely think that the prices are a bit too expensive :/.
    £5? really? £1.99 would be quite exceptable. Up to £3 is somehow "OK".

I hope so [​IMG]!
    I have about 2000 points available, so looking forward to it [​IMG]!

15. M[u]ddy

Member M[u]ddy GBAtemp Fan

Germany
    They cost as much as they do on the DSi. Why would they be cheaper?
    And Shantae is definitely worth the money.

16. Lube_Skyballer

Member Lube_Skyballer GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    That argument is bollocks. Emulation in this case is piracy. If you want an original copy you'll be paying around 20-35 dollars. If you look at it that way £5 isn't that expensive at all. As a bonus you can even play it on a brand new handheld [​IMG]

And about the people complaining about price of Shantae; what the heck is wrong with you? The game is as big as an retail game (which usely sell for roughly 40 dollars). 12 dollars is an steal for such an awesome game [​IMG]
    What's better; 45 dollars or 12 dollars?

17. Spidey_BR

Member Spidey_BR GBAtemp Regular

Brazil
    At least we have Apple to be thankful for lowering game prices.
    DSiWare games aren't retail games, they should be priced between 1 and 3 dollars. Only the most amazing games like OoT, Smash Bros 64, Mario 64, should be priced as 5 dollars. Anything more than that and people won't buy.

I'd really like to buy Link's Awakening, but at 6 dollars I don't think so.

18. jamesaa

Member jamesaa The Prince of Insufficient Light

United Kingdom
    I also think the eshop is a bit overpriced, I still purchased Zelda anyway, but one example I find shocking is zenonia in the dsi store, it's priced at £7.20! if I go over to my iPod I can get all three zenonia games for considerably less! Is having physical buttons worth such a huge price difference?

If nintendo wants the estore to really do well they do need to think about lowering the prices somewhat. I'm not saying 59p for everything, I'm happy to pay more than the app store or android market in order to be guaranteed quality games and physical controls, but when there's a price premium of over 1200% is does seem a little ridiculous.

19. chris888222

Member chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Singapore
    eShop games in the US are quite okay... $3.99 each on average. [​IMG]

But why are the EUR 3DS prices so sky-high!?

20. doyama

Member doyama GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    The stupidity pricing on the Apps store is actually hurting developers like zenonia. Sure if you're selling a million copies like Angry Birds maybe 99 pence is ok. but for most devs they need to charge some REASONABLE amount of money to actually recover costs. It's cheaper on the apple store because they're forced to compete with all the other junky apps that charge so little. It's really a sad mentality that's crippling devs ability to make decent money.