PocketNES with SuperCard??

Discussion in 'GBA - Emulation' started by Kalisiin, Aug 15, 2009.

Aug 15, 2009

PocketNES with SuperCard?? by Kalisiin at 9:41 PM (2,341 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. Kalisiin
    OP

Member Kalisiin GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I tried following the instructions from the PocketNES site and this is not helping me, because I do NOT get a file called PocketNESmenu.gba like I'm supposed to...and pocketNES.gba, by itself...the patch fails with the SuperCard software.

Does anyone have a good NES emulator working on a GBA with a SuperCard...and, if so, how the heck did ya do it?

I tried finding answers on my own, but none are forthcoming.

2. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    I remember I didn't patch the output file with the SC software, but just placed it clean. Try it like that.

Also didn't the SuperCard already have built-in emulators? Just try launching a .nes file from the browser! [​IMG]

3. Hitsuagaya

Member Hitsuagaya GBAtemp Regular

United States
    whoa pocketnes is super uber old... man getinto the future

4. Kalisiin
    OP

United States
    OK, I'll try.
    What about Atari, then...will the GBA Supercard do Atari?
    EDIT: all the nes files I try fail the patch. Do you mean I ought to just drag and drop to my supercard the .nes file?

And I'm still trying to make the Atari Emulator work on DS, does it work with 2600 only, or with 5200 and 7800? what gives, I need info, please.

I', a major old-schooler...I love the OLD stuff.

5. Hitsuagaya

Member Hitsuagaya GBAtemp Regular

United States
    really ok than play the first mario game that was a hit even i play it

6. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    not really sure what you mean when pocketnes is still updated. just because it runs in gba mode you think its "uber old" and not worth using?

@Kalisiin: pocketnes.gba is the emulator. the output file from the menu maker is called "pocketnesmenu.gba."

http://www.pocketnes.org/howto.html#easy

you followed those line by line and its not working? then it is user error along the way. you can double check that your compilation works by loading it in a pc/mac/linux gba emu. remember that if you do that you will be running an emulator inside of an emulator, so don't expect it to function correctly. it will load however, which is a great way to test that everything worked.

you can go here as well for more information and help: http://boards.pocketheaven.com/viewforum.php?f=21

get the most recent "public" version of pocketnes here: http://www.dwedit.org/dwedit_board/viewtopic.php?id=409

-another world

7. Kalisiin
    OP

United States
    That's what I mean...I AM NOT GETTING THE OUTPUT FILE FORM THE MENUMAKER AT ALL.
    It found all the NES Roms, like it should have, and I clicked "Make ROM" and no freaking output file do I find.

Yes, I followed the directions line by line, or I wouldn't have gotten that far.

My problem is I do not seem to be getting the output file I ought to be getting.

Now, I also have a question...do you put the NES Roms, AND pocketnes.gba ALL in that menu, THEN hit Make ROM?
    And then put JUST the output file into your SD card? Or do you still have to patch that thru the Supercard program? This is assuming, of course, that I even GET an output file, which so far, I have not gotten.

My problem is I am not even GETTING a compilation to test!
    And then, as I said, I do not know if the compilation then must be patched thru the Supercard software...or if it can be dragged and dropped right onto the SD Card.

EDIT: Thanks for the link to the most recent PocketNES, I'll need to download that.
    But I still could use the answers to my questions up above, about

A - Where the heck does the compilation file show up, if at all?
    B - Does the compilation file then need to get patched thru the Supercard software?
    C - When making the compilation file, do you just include the ROMS...or do you also include pocketNES.gba in that big menu?

8. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    You just include the .nes roms, the compilation should appear in the same folder as the menu maker program I think (not entirely sure), and you'll probably have to patch the output compilation with the SC patcher.

The issue here is with the menu maker program, since it's not outputting a file for you. Double-check the screen with all the file paths you select and make sure all of them exist. If using Vista, try to make sure it's not trying to output to a protected area (Program Files for instance). Otherwise I don't really know what the issue is.

If trying to use the Supercard's built-in version of PocketNES (which is 9.97 which is ANCIENT but it works I suppose), just drag and drop clean .nes roms to your card and launch them from the SC menu like you would a GBA or DS game.

9. Kalisiin
    OP

United States

OK, thanks, I'll try that from home later on. At work on the overnight for now.
    As to the Output path...it does not let me change the output path to a folder by just browsing. It tried to make me select the actual pocketnes.gba program as the output path...gonna try to change it to just output to my freaking desktop.

10. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    if you do that it overwrites the emu.

you want the rom path to be the folder where your roms are.
    set the pocketnes rom path to point to pocketnes.gba
    set the output path to pocketnesmenu.gba. you can always make this file and have the app overwrite it. just make a copy of the emu and rename it, for example.
    point the main database path to "pnesmmw.mdb"

after that it *should* work for you. goodluck.

-another world

11. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    While you're at it, download a new copy of "pocketnes.gba" and replace your current one. More than likely you've overwritten it at some point in this whole ordeal, like Another World stated.

12. Kalisiin
    OP

United States
    OK, cool, I will try that then, Another World...you rock my world, too...along with Dan.

I never thought of that, though, just make a dummy file named pocketnesmenu.gba...so that it could just overwrite the dumb thing lol.

I bet that was why I wasn't getting an output file, the darn path didn't exist, and it would not let me change the path in the manner I wanted to.

ON EDIT: Dropping the NES files straight on worked...but, I only get to have a total of 64 games. What gives on that?

If I have more than 64 games, it doesn't show them all up.
    Never mind...I figgered it out...you can make folders! Every folder can only have 63 games in it though, because it needs one spot for (BACK)