PocketNES or NESDS?

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by john.jingle, Mar 30, 2008.

Mar 30, 2008

PocketNES or NESDS? by john.jingle at 6:19 PM (2,717 Views / 0 Likes) 4 replies

1. john.jingle
    OP

Member john.jingle GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I heard PocketNes just came out with a new version and since it's a new version, I'm slightly leaning towards it but I am still unaware of its compatibilities. Last I heard is that NESDS was the better of the two.

2. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    PocketNES has continued development for the past couple of years to improve compatibility, whereas NES DS stopped where it was. NES DS is based off of PocketNES 9.97 which is rather outdated at this point. On the other hand, NES DS is easier to use and has some additional features like rewind and fast-forward that are not available in PocketNES.

3. john.jingle
    OP

Member john.jingle GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Do you think the newer version of PocketNES has better compatibility than NESDS? I'm still quite unsure of which I want, I mean, fast forward and rewinding NES games seem like a neat little feature but I'm not sold to it yet.

4. looneyboy784

Newcomer looneyboy784 Member

United States
    Do you have a slot 2 card? If not your only option is NES DS.

5. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    PocketNES does have better compatibility than NES DS, but honestly NES DS runs the vast majority of games perfectly fine. I'd use NES DS except for the very few games that require PocketNES.

Keep in mind the resolution issue as well. PocketNES has to scale the screen more than NES DS does due to running in GBA mode.