pocketNES and 3in1

Discussion in 'EZ-Flash' started by 4saken, Jul 6, 2007.

Jul 6, 2007

pocketNES and 3in1 by 4saken at 11:19 AM (1,217 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. 4saken
    OP

Member 4saken Retired Ace Attorney

Australia
    Is it possible to use pocketNES in the 3in1? I need to play earthbound zero, but nesDS fails to load it (unless someone has a magical way of making it work).

If it is possible, how does it save/search for roms, etc.

Thanks to all who reply

2. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    Yes, PocketNES works just fine on the 3-in-1. It doesn't search for roms. Like all emulators for the GBA, the roms have to be packed into the .gba file with the emulator. You should be able to get the app to do that from the same place you get the emulator.

PocketNES saves to SRAM, and the saves are managed just like the rest of the GBA saves.

Someone over on the PocketHeaven boards said that the only part of Earthbound Zero that doesn't work on nesDS is starting a new game. If you start a game on a different emulator, save, then transfer the save over to nesDS, the game supposedly works just fine. It will probably be easier to do this with a PC emulator than PocketNES.

3. 4saken
    OP

Australia
    Genius. Thank you. I suppose they use the same save types?

I'll check out PocketHeaven now

4. Destructobot

United States
    PocketNES doesn't really have a save type as such, because GBA software doesn't deal with files. I think nesDS uses raw saves, and I'd expect most NES emulators for the PC to also use raw saves, making it a simple drag and drop affair.

With PocketNES you'll probably have to manually extract the NES game save from the GBA save with a hex editor. It wouldn't really be hard to do that (unless pocketNES compresses the saves), but it makes the whole process more complicated.

5. 4saken
    OP

Australia
    Yep I'm happy with nesDS as long as I encounter no problems. I just made the save file, but I've corrupted my microSD so I have to wait for a new one.

Thanks for the help.

6. Destructobot

United States
    I just made a save for Earthbound Zero with Nestopia, then copied it over to the microSD card, and it worked. I've got the game running right now.

7. 4saken
    OP

Australia
    Thanks for the confirmation [​IMG] I used Nestopia too, so it should work [​IMG]