PocketNES 7-23-2008

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by JPH, Jul 23, 2008.

Jul 23, 2008

PocketNES 7-23-2008 by JPH at 9:39 AM (2,066 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. JPH
    OP

Banned JPH Banned

United States
    [​IMG] PocketNES 7-23-2008
    Update for GBA NES Emulator
    [​IMG]
    Dwedit has released a new update for the NES emulator for the GBA, PocketNES, has been released.
    See more information about the last few updates (including this one) in the changelog below:
    Of course, you can download the latest version of PocketNES from GBAtemp:

[​IMG] Download
    [​IMG] Source

2. JPH
    OP

Banned JPH Banned

United States
    Love this homebrew, as I dig portable NES.
    It's also easy to compile the GBA file from the NES games; it's very noob friendly.

[​IMG]

3. test84

Member test84 GBAtemp's last ninja 2.

Iran
    Which one is better, this one or NesDS?

4. SylvWolf

Member SylvWolf Ave Dominus Nox

United States
    nesDS always worked pretty good for me, and I'd much rather be able to directly access the FAT file system than have to compile a ROM.

5. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    You should look into the beta version that has filesystem support. Find it on the PocketHeaven forums.

6. wohoo

Member wohoo GBAtemp Fan

Sweden
    just one question... How do you get this thing working? [​IMG]

7. Takeshi

Member Takeshi GBAtemp Addict

Germany
    Thanks for posting this. I didn't know that they continued the developing.

Just use it as a pogoshell plugin, it's very convenient and I've been using it for ages now.

8. test84

Iran
    Takeshi, which one do you prefer on using on DS, PocketNES or NesDS?

9. dib

Member dib GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    PocketNES has a Dwedit version with a cheat finder that I loved, and unfortunately hasn't been implemented in NesDS to date.

But NesDS has fast forward and rewind functions lacking in PocketNES. It supports the six button DS controller so you can set up turbo buttons easily (PocketNES you need to hold R for turbo) as well as touch screen support for the menu (that only works some of the time, in my experience) and can use the entire screen resolution of the NDS. Plus the fact you can stick .nes roms directly onto your media instead of having to compile a .gba rom on your PC then flash it to a cart.

Apart from that, compatability seems to be exactly the same. Both of them are broken for games like Startropics, Fire Emblem Gaiden, Rampart, Ys, Famicom Wars, Punch-Out only works so-so, and several others.

10. test84

Iran
    with every NesDS update, I still see problems of Ninja Gaidens and thats so sad, do they work ok on PocketNES?

11. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    there hasn't been a nesDS update for a year, and the last update was only to fix the touch screen issue found on previous builds. loopy dropped support of nesDS when he released the source. dwedit mentioned that it is a ported build of pocketnes 9.97 with a bunch of bugs he later fixed for the gba release of the same build. he said that there is a chance he might take a look at the source more, and fix some problems but he is still focused on pocketnes. both of the coders can be reached at the PH forum, if you are interested in dropping them a line.

http://www.pocketheaven.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=6325
    http://www.pocketheaven.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=6583

if i remember correctly ninja gaiden 2 and 3 work on pocketnes. if you have a slot2 kit just compile them into the container and give it a try. besides the rewind and fastforward "cheat" options (lets face it those let you cheat) pocketnes is superior to nesDS in every way at this point. the only down side? - most of you don't own slot2 kits. nesDS does support around 700 games, just check the compatibility list i wrote (link in my sig), but pocketnes supports more with less issues. when i wrote the compatibility list i tested all the failed games on pocketnes and found more than 50 games worked well or had little issues that did not take away from gameplay.

http://www.pocketnes.org/tools/pnesmmw12a.zip
    pocketnes menu maker works just fine for injecting roms. just drop the new build of pocknes by dwedit into the directory.
    BASIC USAGE:
    - Unzip program and included files to a directory
    - Put pocketnes.gba and a bunch of nes roms/zips in that same directory
    - Open pnesmmw.exe
    - Press "Make Rom" button to create menu rom
    - Flash PocketNESMenu.gba

cheers,
    -another world