pls help me b4 i smash my face thru the nearest plate glass window

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by purple.palimpses, Jun 18, 2009.

1. purple.palimpses
    OP

Newcomer purple.palimpses Newbie

United States
    hi all

i am having an extremely frustrating time trying to get the Homebrew Channel installed on my wii (running firmware 3.3u). i've scoured the internet at large, and these forums in particular, and found no acceptable solution to the problem (the closest one was this, in which someone describes essentially my exact problem but could only solve it by scrapping his SD card and using a new one), so i was hoping maybe someone with a motherboard fused into their neocortex (or however it is you coders work the magic you do) could shed some light on it. i am officially not getting my hopes up.

the problem is this:
    i am able to get the twilight hack to work with no problem, up to a certain point, meaning: i can open the TwilightHack save file, make Link walk backwards and get the bug to happen that makes the wii start reading off the root of my SD card. here is where i run into trouble. no matter which boot.dol file i have in the root directory, i get the same error message, much of which flits across the screen faster than i can read it but which always ends like this:

start cluster = 6d97
    start cluster = b64c
    start cluster = 6d34
    boot.dol not found (-1), reading boot.elf:
    start cluster = 6d34
    start cluster = 3fb7
    start cluster = f70b
    start cluster = 591c
    start cluster = 6794
    start cluster = f9e0
    start cluster = a64e
    start cluster = dfe1
    start cluster = dabc
    start cluster = 7983
    start cluster = b1c1
    start cluster = a824
    start cluster = 7a4b
    start cluster = 5d27
    start cluster = 6d97
    start cluster = b64c
    start cluster = 6d34
    Failed to read boot.elf (-1)!
    No code found to load, hanging.

(yes i transcribed this by hand from my TV screen)

i have tried putting a boot.elf file in the root directory instead, and essentially the same thing happens but with a slight twist, i.e., instead of saying "boot.dol not found" it says "boot.elf not found" and at the end it says "failed to read boot.dol" instead of "failed to read boot.elf".

i would like to add that since i am using the very same SD card that i used to get the twilight hack working (meaning my wii had no problem reading it), i refuse to accept that it is the SD card's fault. (fyi, the SD card is formatted to "FAT" not "FAT32", where i take "FAT" to mean "FAT16", since i used a PC running windows XP to format the card initially, and the conventional wisdom, as far as i can tell, has it that "FAT" in this context does in fact refer to "FAT16". please correct me if i'm wrong.)

any thoughts?

2. lolzed

Member lolzed The GBAtemp Pichu

Philippines
    well since im learning about wii hacking have you tried bannerbomb,is there a difference if you use that?also,you refuse to accept your sd is faulty,why so

3. wolffangalchemist

Member wolffangalchemist This is bat country!

United States
    try fat 32 it works too.

4. Tichinde925

Member Tichinde925 Marth Ditto Money Match?

United States
    Twilight Hack is obsolete.

BannerBomb is where its at.

5. Midnightzak

Member Midnightzak GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Chances are that your SD card is either faulty or simply has a bad format.

1. Put SD card in computer
    2. Copy files off the card
    3. Format SD Card (FAT 16 or 32 is fine)
    4. Copy files back to the SD card
    5. Try again.

For some reason SD cards can be partially read by one thing and not read by another. It could just be a bad block in the file system's structure. I see no point in just blindly assuming your SD card is perfect. Anyway, try this, it will take 5 minutes of your time and might fix the problem.

Good luck.

EDIT: Also, any system menu version can be hacked now. Meaning you *COULD* upgrade to 4.0 and use BannerBomb instead. Just another idea to put out there.

6. nabster92

Member nabster92 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Don't take that as meaning you HAVE to upgrade to 4.0 to use bannerbomb though. Bannerbomb should work on any firmware so try that with the hackmii installer .elf renamed to boot.elf. after reformatting and all.

7. MadBob

Member MadBob Nostalgia ain't what it used to be!

United Kingdom
    Use the Panasonic SD formatter v2 (google) to format your card.

8. Giga_Gaia

Member Giga_Gaia Shinigami

Canada
    God guys, I wanted to see him smash his head in the plate glass, you ruined it.

9. jackdanielchan

Member jackdanielchan GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Japan
    Use BannerBomb first, but if all versions fail, use Galaxii Overflow, it's a little hard to use, but it's practically the new Twilight Hack.

10. TroyTheZombie

Member TroyTheZombie GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
  11. mtb-bfh

Newcomer mtb-bfh Advanced Member

United States
    Nothing gold can stay [​IMG]

Every time I see one of these threads where somebody says essentially "I refuse to accept any help or believe anything I'm told" and people pile on to help them...I don't know if it restores my faith in my fellow man (the helpers) or just makes me nod at Mark Twain's "There are times when one would like to hang the whole human race, and finish the farce."

12. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    lighten up dude it's a joke

13. TRushInfo

Banned TRushInfo Banned

United States
    any chance you could smash your face anyways and post pictures

14. purple.palimpses
    OP

United States
    thanks guys for all your help [​IMG] (and to the peanut gallery for their words of encouragement... turns out plate glass is a lot harder to smash with one's face than i had initially thought. not to worry, though, i will keep trying and will be sure to have my next of kin post pictures of the results once i've succeeded [​IMG] )

i will try reformatting to fat32 (with the panasonic formatter if doing it with windows doesn't work), and see if that fixes it. if not, i will try using bannerbomb instead. do i need to do anything differently if i'm using bannerbomb with 3.3 firmware as opposed to 4.0?

15. TroyTheZombie

Member TroyTheZombie GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
  16. ToneEQ

Member ToneEQ GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Just use Bannerbomb. You don't mention what version of the Twilight Hack you are using so that could be the problem?

17. TRushInfo

Banned TRushInfo Banned

United States
    Maybe, just maybe, say youre next of kin were to come in maybe you could trick them into looking at the glass, and then smash THEIR face into the window, so that way YOU can post pics so we kno u posted them, and since u have a sense of humor maybe it would be better if u stuck around, and NOT smashed your face. But we all will be mad if we get cheated out of pics...... Just a thought

Oh on topic, bannerbomb is way easier and worth a try

18. purple.palimpses
    OP

United States
    here's an update for the hordes of breathless spectators who have been sitting at the edge of their seats, hitting refresh on their browsers every 14 seconds, waiting for the thrilling conclusion to this incredible saga.... i am moved nearly to tears thinking about it, but yes, friends, all good things surely must come to an end, even this riveting thread. we laughed, we cried, we smashed our faces repeatedly against plate glass windows.... or was that just me.... oh well that's beside the point. on to the GOOD NEWS!!! [​IMG]

i used bannerbomb to install HBC this time and GUESS WHAT it worked like a friggin charm. and i didn't even have to switch SD cards or nuthin. so thank you everyone, from the bottom of my pint glass, for all of your generous advice and words of encouragement, they got me through one of the bleakest times of my life. i won't ever forget you. we're like blood brothers, you know? viet nam and whatnot. except with computers. and video game consoles. no guns, though, unfortunately, or guerrilla warfare; that would have been cool. well actually there is a gun upstairs in the attic, but grampa never lets it out of his vice-like cadaverous grip unless he's really really hopped up on the sauce, and he happens to fall down the stairs into the middle of the living room like he did that one time on christmas. man, you should've seen the face on aunt midge! she looked like she'd just swallowed a pincushion, right before the gun went off when it hit the floor and took off half her left tit. serves her right, though, seeing as how grampy never would've gotten out if she'd locked the attic door behind her in the first place, like we told her to. and that's why we call her half-tit midge.

now, if i could only figure out how to un-rar a back-up so that it doesn't decompress to the full 4.37 gig file size, then i might actually be able to launch games off my flash drive with the usb loader.... can anyone throw me a bone here?

19. skawo96

Member skawo96 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    WBFS cuts the file size anyways, some games can get to 0.16GB