Please tell me I didn't brick my DS lite.

Discussion in 'Other Flashing Hardware & Software' started by tednugent, Oct 24, 2008.

Oct 24, 2008
  1. tednugent
    OP

Newcomer tednugent Newbie

United States
    I recently purchased a DS lite and a Supercard DS one. It seemed to work fine, but ROMs always froze after getting a few seconds into the game. I thought that maybe the DS realized that the code wasn't RSA secured or something ridiculous, so I attempted to flash. Being the not-so-brilliant person I am, I just shoved a little tin foil in the sl-1 slot and when I turned the DS on the top screen seemed a bit distorted, I then ran flashme.nds and the unit turned off. I quickly removed the tin foil and attempted to reboot. Nothing happened. I removed everything from the two slots and tried again. Nothing happened. I don't know what to do.
    [​IMG]

But I REALLY REALLY hope it's not bricked. :'(

2. Brian117

Member Brian117 GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Did you have a power supply running while running Flashme?

3. tednugent
    OP

United States
    Yes, it was plugged into a power supply.

4. tatzelcow

Newcomer tatzelcow Newbie

United States
    I am not completely certain (as I have not ever bricked my DS), but it would seem that your DS is most likely bricked...
    Your first mistake, from what I can gather, was by shorting the circuit prior to being prompted to do so in the flashme instructions. You were not supposed to have the circuit shorted when you booted your DS but only when flashme began the actual flashing process.

I don't know how to fix a bricked DS or if there even is a way...maybe someone else knows of a possibility.

If it really comes down to it, try contacting Nintendo and tell them that your DS has ceased functioning properly.....but don't tell them how you did it or that your were running homebrew stuff.
    There is always the chance that they will send you a new or refurbished one or that you might be able to exchange it for a "Non-Defective" one from the store that you purchased it at if you got it recently.

Best of luck

--Tatz

5. tednugent
    OP

United States
    Well, I bought this one used from Game Stop and it's been under 30 days since I bought it, and I've still got the receipt etc. So I'm hoping beyond all hope(finger's crossed). That they'll replace it if I tell them I don't know how it happened.

And the power light doesn't even flash when it's not plugged into AC power.

I do believe it's bricked. [​IMG]

*edit* Does anyone know why ROMs weren't playing pre-flash?

6. knl

Member knl I can change this?

Brazil
    what is your SD?

7. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    The freezing games is more than likely due to a defective Supercard DS. There's been a lot of those in the past month. Flashing would not have solved the problem.

Hold Start+Select when you bootup (with the SCDS inserted) and see if that helps. If it doesn't, then you're bricked. You've got a couple of options:
    1. BIOS swap trick. This only works if you have two DS Lites (not Phats) and one of them is bricked while the other one works fine. Start the FlashMe program on the good DS but then swap the BIOS chips before pressing XBXB to continue. Continue flashing and you'll have recovered it.
    2. PPFlash. This involves soldering and cutting traces. I haven't looked into it.
    3. Nintendo's warranty if you bought it new less than a year ago. Possibly a game store warranty.
    4. Send it off to someone else for unbricking. Bitblt from the SCDev forums does this for $15 plus shipping, and he's got an excellent track record, though he uses the BIOS swap trick so he can't unbrick DS Phats - http://www.scdev.org/forum/index.php/topic,2648.0.html

8. tednugent
    OP

United States
    Well, I've replaced the DSL through GameStop, and this new one works, but the SuperCard is still freezing. Is there anything I can do about that?

It's a v3 says OS one has the four dots, no teeth and the curvy guy on the side.

9. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    Hold L+R upon startup and see if you get any errors aside from the harmless "not find test file" error. If you get a PSRAM error, then your SCDS is defective and you should see if you can get a replacement. There are a few homebrew remedies to "fix" the PSRAM error, but those should only be used if you cannot get a replacement.

Also, note that L+R+up does a full test in which you press A to go on to each segment of the test. This is probably worth doing as well.

10. playallday

Member playallday Group: GBAtemp Ghost

Canada
    I think you bricked it [​IMG] . I can fix it if you want.

Ha! I unbrick DS Lite's for $5 plus shipping!

11. m3rox

Member m3rox GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    There's never a need to flash your DS (maybe you want a different firmware, but it's never necessary to run roms). All you should have done was update your flashcard's firmware to the highest available version number.

12. PokemonHaker94

Member PokemonHaker94 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    umm if i was u i would have just gotten a R4 i mean i have 1 & there great i have had like 3 of them now & i have never had a problem oh but about your DS Lite its bricked i did some thing similer to what you have just done but if you retern it to the shop & not say any thing about the tin foil you should be able to get another one well any way you should get an R4 & try to get another DS Lite [​IMG]

13. mysticwaterfall

Member mysticwaterfall Streamforce Supreme Commander

United States
    I find it ironic that more people brick there DS's in trying to install FlashMe then ever did with the bricker FlashMe is designed to block.

As others have said, you probably have a bad supercard. I would try to a replacement or go with an AceKard 2.1 from DX - 12$, and it's an awesome card.

14. playallday

Member playallday Group: GBAtemp Ghost

Canada
    It has a few pluses. I did it to 3 of my DS Lite's, one got bricked so I had to unbrick it (I had to pay myself $5 [​IMG] ). It worked out fine.

15. Brian117

Member Brian117 GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    If I gave you $5, would you be able to fix my DS Phat?

I don't think it's bricked persay, since I really never ran Flashme on it.

One day it just stopped working. Tried different batteries, won't work either.

I think maybe a fuse blew. Could you be able to fix that or no?

16. tednugent
    OP

United States
    I fixed my problem. And I'll give a step-by-setup look as to how.

I was unable to run roms, however homebrew worked fine, which I found odd. So I installed DSlinux and got it up and running and noticed that it said: European firmware detected. I then replaced my US roms with European ones, and they worked! It seemed to be doing great and after a few reboots, I got a message saying: "Save saver, please wait..." usually this goes away after a few seconds, but it stayed on the screen, rendering the SCDS1 un-usable, so I made a folder on my computer called "backup" and formatted the card to FAT 32 (again), re-loaded everything on the card and it worked. After playing around, I noticed that that error usually only happened if a game had been shut off before quiting the current game. So now I either return to the main menu of the game before turning off my system or use the built in soft reset function (L+R+A+B+X+Y). I'm very happy with the SCDS1. I'm just confused as to how my DS has European firmware, as it was purchased in the U.S.

[​IMG]

Hope this helps anyone with my issue.

17. Vague Rant

Member Vague Rant Deceptively cute

Australia
    This wouldn't be the case if people actually followed the instructions instead of just cramming the first thing they find into the back of their DS.

18. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    Yeah, but how likely is that?

19. Fat D

Member Fat D GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    People are stupid like that. I once dealt with someone who knew that the DS was shutting off when he inserted his flashing tool and still did so after XBXBing.

20. LeeTV

Newcomer LeeTV Member

United States
    Well, This has made me much more careful with my DS, Thanks for the info on this!