Please suggest a good usb drive for the configuration USB load

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by delt31, Dec 15, 2009.

1. delt31
    OP

Member delt31 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I'm struggling in deciding what usb drive will work the best with the configuration usb loader. I only need 320gb at most. What is the best brand. Would this hard drive be OK?

Western Digital Elements 320GB Portable HDD

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/product...3-404255-124566

Does it matter if it's usb powered or ac adaptor? I feel like it's better to be ac adaptor but who knows.

Any recommendations?

thanks!

2. evoo1

Member evoo1 GBAtemp Regular

Austria
    I'm using the Western Digital Elements 250GB Portable HDD and it works like a charm. There is no problem with it being usb-powered or any other "spindown" problems.

3. delt31
    OP

United States
    is the one I linked above usb powered? I was hoping to get ac adaptor b/c i tried one that was usb powered and it freezed more than my ac adaptor.

4. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    I have the Western Digital 1TB MyBook Essential edition, and it works like a charm.
    It's with an external power source, and it has never failed.

5. delt31
    OP

United States
    yeah - I have a western book too with an external source and it's all good. I might just go for that. my buddy has a real cheap hitachi with no external power and it's been freezing like CRAZY!

6. Orazal

Newcomer Orazal Member

United States
  7. pipeandwire

Newcomer pipeandwire Newbie

United States
    a wd 1tb will hold 500 games (max on any partition) at a size of 931gb. will give you about 70gb extra to format however u want. WD is undoubtedly the best for wii usb loader, as i have a few 1 tb and a 2tb that has multiple wbfs multiple partitions and games

8. Benjay

Member Benjay Hardstyle Addict

France
    i've got 2 WD elements 320Gb , both work like a charm.
    I think too that WD is the best for wii , i've equiped many of my friends with it , never had a problem.

9. delt31
    OP

United States
    thanks guys - and for the ones with WD, are they powered by an ac adaptor or usb?

10. DrSaturn

Newcomer DrSaturn Newbie

United States
    I have a WD Legacy (old) that I can't use because it has spin down problems. WD states that most of their HDs do and its is not an option to disable it.

Just make sure your WD hard drive is one of the HDs with WD SmartWare listed at the bottom of this page to ensure you won't have a spin down problem.

11. Retrievil

Member Retrievil GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    I prefer using a dock instead of an enclosure. Enclosures are great but you generally pay more for less space.

I use a Thermaltake Blacx dock.

http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=29859&am...ure=Thermaltake

With a Seagate 500GB drive.

Nice thing about the dock is you can buy 2. Hook one up to the Wii, and one up to your PC. Then when you want to install new games, just pop the drive out of the Wii dock and pop it into the PC dock and you are ready to go. I find this to be the best solution as I have several 1TB drives I use for archiving blurays, wii games, pc games, etc. Anytime you need more space just buy another drive and you have the dock there ready to go. Also saves the hassle of unplugging USB and power cables all the time. If you have eSATA on your PC is it even better as transfer speeds are way faster when installing or copying games.