Please.... Help with Homebrew !!

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Bumblebee 2009, Aug 8, 2008.

Aug 8, 2008
  1. Bumblebee 2009
    OP

Newcomer Bumblebee 2009 Member

United States
    Hello everyone, I just logged onto this site early today, read a lot of pages about the Zelda hack & homebrew and i was hoping for some help with the homebrew.

I have a NTSC Wii modded and I managed to download the Zelda hack I did get Zelda hack to work I have a few WAD channels that worked on my Wii, well the homebrew channel isn't making too much sense to me. I can't seem to figure out how to get channels to work on it. I did download the Wad-installer and renamed it boot.elf and put it on the root of the Sd card, but it didn't download any of the WAD channels (Ocarina & Geckos)?

This is what I have on my SD card.. Private folder, boot.elf, Snes9x, VBA ,WAD, N64 ROMS, Scumm vm, Apps that has inside (gc-linux, region free, scumm vm, tetris)

1) Does the Tetris work with only the Gamecube controller, I couldn't get it to work with the Wii remote, or classic?

2) I got Wii64, I put all the n64 ROMS .v64 in the N64 folder is this correct? but all the games run slow in it, is that normal because it's new or something??

3) I want to install Ocarina & Gecko's through the homebrew channel, what files do I put on the SD card, or in what folder? I tried putting them in the WAD folder (because they are WAD files) but I couldn't get them to work through homebrew, but I did get them onto my Wii as a WAD channel through the Zelda hack.

5) If I have a modded chip would I still need that region free channel on the apps folder?

6) What is the difference between the gc-Linux and the Gcos ?

Any and all help would be so great... thanks in advance!!!

BumbleBee

2. samsam12

Banned samsam12 Test

United States
    1. the old version of tetris only works with the gc controller, the newer one works with the wiimote
    2. Wii64 is a very early emulator, its normal.
    3. put your wads in this directory, X:/wads/
    5. no.
    6. gc-linux is pretty much pointless. you cant really do anything with it. GCOS lets you load backups without a mod-chip (only on the gamecube, i dont think it works on wii).

3. icefox2

Newcomer icefox2 Advanced Member

Canada
    1) Tetris Wii works only with the Gamecube controller (the official version 1.2). You can however download unofficial versions by other people where it has been fixed to allow Wii remotes as well. Check here for more info: http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Homebrew_apps/Tetris_Wii

2) It's nothing new you will just have to wait for an update the emulator itself is just really slow for some reason. Or you can always just install N64 WADs if you can find them.

3) Depends if you want to have them as channels on the Homebrew Channel then you need to put them in a separate apps folder. They can't be WAD files either find the elf or dol for these programs if you want to do this. If you want to install them to the actual Wii as a separate channel then use Waninkoko's WAD manager and put the WAD files in the wad folder.

5) no.

6) I'm not sure someone else can probably answer this since I don't use those programs.

4. Bumblebee 2009
    OP

United States
    1. the old version of tetris only works with the gc controller, the newer one works with the wiimote
    2. Wii64 is a very early emulator, its normal.
    3. put your wads in this directory, X:/wads/
    5. no.
    6. gc-linux is pretty much pointless. you cant really do anything with it. GCOS lets you load backups without a mod-chip (only on the gamecube, i dont think it works on wii).
    [/quote]

Thank you for the quick response... okay so let me know if i have this straight (bare with me I'm new at this)

So if i put the Ocarina & Geckos.wad in the Wad folder that's on the root of my SD card (X:/wads/ does that mean root?)
    Then I turn on my Wii, do I need to go through the Zelda Princess hack, or select homebrew channel (that's installed) if so, does the homebrew read WAD files?

Thanks again,Bumble

*edit nice custom banners page you have there samsam http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=920...t=0&start=0

so if i download the Geckos or Ocarina from this page will they be WAD files or dol and elf files? icefox2 says in order to run them through homebrew they have to be elf or dol.

5. Bumblebee 2009
    OP

United States

okay, so i make different apps folders on the root of my SD card, or do I put them inside the apps folder that's already on my sd card? and find a dol or elf file of the Ocarina & Geckos?

Thanks icefox

6. icefox2

Canada
    you put them in the apps folder that you already have on the root it should look like this: root/apps/newfolder/.elf

the newfolder represents any app that you want to appear in the Homebrew Channel for instance if you want the Ocarina app then make it so that its like root/apps/ocarina/.elf

you just need to find the elf files for each of these programs. Also a new folder is needed for every different thing that you want to add... so in your case two new folders inside the apps folder name them whatever you want.

7. icefox2

Canada
    Remember if you are trying to install the channels from samsam12's topic then those will be WADs in which case you need to install them with WAD manager and they will appear right on the Wii main menu. The Homebrew Channel on the other hand requires .elf or .dol files of the program.

8. elm

Member elm GBAtemp Fan

United States

I've been wondering how to get this to work myself.

Thanks icefox2

9. icefox2

Canada
    No problem.

10. Bumblebee 2009
    OP

United States

You are a life saver icefox2, you cleared up in minutes what I've been trying to figure out for hours.

BumbleBee 2009

[​IMG]

11. icefox2

Canada
    Yeah I had a feeling you were mixing those two up. [​IMG]