Please help the team from Serenes Forest translate Fire Emblem If (fates)!

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by guedesbrawl, Jun 28, 2015.

1. guedesbrawl
    OP

guedesbrawl GBAtemp Regular

Sep 6, 2010
    Brazil
    http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=54979&page=1

it seems they are going smoothly for now, but the more the merrier right? i have no hacking skills and i don't want to spoil myself with the story, but maybe this can end up being helpful too!

Of course, if you don't want to be spoiled about the games, be careful... very careful.

Remember that this game has a serious risk of being butchered by the NA localization so a fan translation has chances of being better!

2. juan_3579

juan_3579 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 25, 2015
    United States
    I would like to help, as my Japanese is somewhat good. However, I don't have an exploitable 3DS (I only have two New 3DS systems, an American XL and a Japanese non-XL). Do I need to have an exploitable system to help translate?

3. Sliter

Sliter GBAtemp Addict

Dec 7, 2013
    Brazil
    ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
    I can hlp with graphics , if yoy guys arent in a hurry because I'm on another project XD
    If you want we can do it in portuguese latter
    Oh wait it's from Dj, I know him xD I Still think it should be named "if" for the fan translation >w>

4. cearp

cearp the ticket master

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    i honestly can't see the point in translating a game that will certainly get released in the west. (although, looking a wikipedia it seems a long wait though)
    if you want to have a 'better' translation, then, sure ok... but it would be nicer to translate some other game that never will get released.
    why not retranslate every other fire emblem game? (maybe it has been done lol)

MarkDarkness, Arras and Sliter like this.
  5. Sliter

Sliter GBAtemp Addict

Dec 7, 2013
    Brazil
    ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
    even translating it " the way" the official are doing it .. I agree you it have to be something like " hey we to better than you that are paid for it!" hahah XD
    but even using the locatio title >w> *sorry I still can't accept XDD*

6. cearp

cearp the ticket master

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    well i just saw in the serenesforest page that it is just to get the game playable, not a full translation :) so sure, that is not as much work then!

7. Sliter

Sliter GBAtemp Addict

Dec 7, 2013
    Brazil
    ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
    well.. someway lol waiting still... I think making a closer translation would be usefull to " see how it is without localization changes" when the oficial comes out

logg likes this.
  8. cearp

cearp the ticket master

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    it would be interesting for every game! :)

9. Sliter

Sliter GBAtemp Addict

Dec 7, 2013
    Brazil
    ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
    yeah right? I wanted this coming officially for each game, so the player coud choice this , not being forced to accept what they decided what is
    better, right? :P

10. dubbz82

dubbz82 GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 2, 2014
    United States
    Honestly, you're still at the will of whatever the translators determine is "best". They're not as likely to chop out content, granted, but there could still be some changes in wording that might slightly change things (usually this happens because of line spacing, etc.)

Sliter likes this.
  11. Sliter

Sliter GBAtemp Addict

Dec 7, 2013
    Brazil
    ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
    I know that, he example is that they want to use " fates" and Localized names instead of "if" and the actuall japanese names, but is really that you said
    one example is that fa translation wouldn't do something like that hahaha (unless they really want to do loke the localization does ... anyway)
    [​IMG]

12. liomajor

liomajor GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 10, 2008
    United States
    Oh well, the game is nice and i can see that a
    lot ppl doesn't want to wait until it gets localized.

Translating a game to a language you can understand
    is ok as long they don't plan to release it outside japan,
    otherwise it could be a HUGE problem.

13. SciresM

SciresM GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 21, 2014
    United States
    Why would it be a huge problem?

14. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    Well, if it is a full translation they're planning on (which doesn't seem like it is in this particular case though), there's a fair chance of them being C&D'd and their work being for nothing.

15. SciresM

Mar 21, 2014
    United States
    Keep in mind: I'm one of the project leaders.

And that has nothing to do with the translation being a problem -- C&Ds are a risk any translation project runs, and not really relevant to whether they're worth doing.

16. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    That's true, but AFAIK the chances of actually getting C&Dd are quite low (as long as it has nothing to do with Square Enix lol). When it's a game the company is planning to release themselves (and thus, potentially people playing the fan translation before the official release), said company would probably view it as competition and possible lost sales, which means they may actually bother C&D-ing.

17. SciresM

Mar 21, 2014
    United States
    Sure...but that's still not something I'd classify as a "huge problem," at all.

18. liomajor

liomajor GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 10, 2008
    United States
    I've seen many translation projects (twice where i was part of it) getting dropped because the
    publisher sended e-mails even if it was planed not to release it as a gamefile and only diff-patch.

The 'huge' problem was the content in the e-mail i've seen, not nice...

I'll still hope for a good translation bcuz i like FE:IF and will support it after it gets released here.

Sliter likes this.
  19. Sliter

Sliter GBAtemp Addict

Dec 7, 2013
    Brazil
    ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
    well at least can be a help for those that would never have the game inn his langauge and want a project like that :v

20. hmp22

hmp22 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 23, 2015
    Canada
    There is content in the game that will almost certainly be censored when it releases here. There's also the chance that the fan translation could be better than the official one. And most of all, this patch will hopefully be done before the Western release, which doesn't even have a date yet besides "2016".