Hardware Please help pick best options for new game laptop!

Is this good?

• Total voters

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
POLL UPDATED TO CHANGE VOTES! PLEASE CHECK IF YOU VOTED TO CHANGE IT IF YOUR OPINION HAS CHANGED!

Okay, so i updated the poll and now is just to decide on this purchase. Based on the options i have and current comments of this thread here is the final standing. As before stated, is total to $1120, if all is well on this i will wait until Wednesday to see the total result. :)

SAGER NP6872 (CLEVO N870HK1)

Thermal Cooling
IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU (Cools better than all Compounds)
16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 2400MHz Dual Channel Memory
M.2 Slot 1
250GB Western Digital Blue M.2 SSD
"PIRATE OPERATING SYSTEM TO SAVE" $$$

ADDITIONAL INFO

Display: 17.3" FHD IPS (16:9) Matte-Type Screen (1920x1080)

Processor: Chipset: 7th Generation Intel® Core i7-7700HQ Kabylake™ Processor (3.8GHZ)
Mobile Intel® HM175 Series Chipset

Standard Optical Drive: NONE

Hard Drive (Upgradeable)
One M.2 2280 SSD, SATA or PCIe Gen3x4 interface

Graphics Controller: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050 Ti GDDR5 (4.0GB) with Optimus™ Technology
NVIDIA® OPTIMUS™ Technology
Microsoft® DirectX® 12 Compatible
Support PCIe x8
NVIDIA® PhysX® Technology
NVIDIA® CUDA™ Technology

Number of SODIMMS: DDR4 2400MHz (Upgradeable to 32GB)
Two 260 Pin SODIMM Sockets

Audio Features: High Definition audio interface
S/PDIF digital output
Two Built-in Speakers
Sound BlasterTM Cinema 3
Amplified headphone output

Network / Communication: Built-in Gigabit Ethernet LAN
Intel® Dual Band Wireless - AC 3165 802.11 A/AC/B/G/N + Bluetooth™ 4.0 [M.2 Chip]

Input / Output Ports: 6-in-1 Card Reader
(MMC/RSMMC/SD/Mini-SD/SDHC/SDXC)

1 x HDMI™ output Port (with HDCP)
2 mDP 1.2
1 USB 2.0 Port
1 USB 3.0 Type C
2 USB 3.0 Ports
1 Headphone Jack
1 Microphone Jack
1 RJ-45 LAN

Battery: 6 Cells Lithium Ion Battery Pack (62Wh)
Full Range 120W AC Adapter AC-in 100~240V, 50~60Hz, DC output 19.5V, 6.15A

IC Diamond Thermal Compound
Weight: 16.48" (w) x 11.18" (d) x 1.08" (h)
6.83 lbs including Battery Pack

Point Device: Keyboard Multi languages full size isolated keyboard with numeric pad
Programmable macro capability - customize individual key as hot key, multiple keystrokes in one key
W/A/S/D gaming key
Integrated Touchpad with Scrolling Function & Multi-gesture

Extra Features: Rubber Painting
Built-in 2.0M FHD Video Camera
Intel® Rapid Start Technology
Intel® Smart Response Technology
Kensington® Lock Capability
RGB Color Backlit Keyboard

Last edited by Sonic Angel Knight,
Reactions: the_randomizer

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Last edited by VinsCool,

raystriker

The powers that be
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Last edited by raystriker,
Reactions: mgrev

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why is the price important? :mellow:

For how much?

Possible better alternative, http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/productdetails/inspiron-15-7567-laptop

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

If its this- http://store.asus.com/us/item/201612AM310000001-ASUS+ROG+Strix+GL753VD-DS71+17.3 You're paying way too much. The highest spec Dell Inspiron 15 7000 trumps it with a better gpu, bigger battery, lighter (smaller screen tho) and a 128GB SSD

Then find one with more than 15 inches and has a HDD in it if you can. So far i only see this, and it still the same price, as the second link but smaller screen. http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/productdetails/inspiron-15-7567-laptop/dncwf510s

raystriker

The powers that be
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Why is the price important? :mellow:
Can't tell if that was sarcastic-you might as well get an Alienware 17
Then find one with more than 15 inches and has a HDD in it if you can. So far i only see this, and it still the same price, as the second link but smaller screen. http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/productdetails/inspiron-15-7567-laptop/dncwf510s
If you really insist on a 17" lappy, customize something like this- http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np6872-clevo-n870hk1.html
However, I still think the top dog 7000 is a better choice. If you need it to act like a desktop replacement, hook it up to an external monitor.

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not bad whats the price? To bad it don't have a 1060. I assume it has no optical drive with is not a problem unless your me lol and want to use the cd bay as a second Hdd drive (why beacuse 2 Hdd are better then 1). If you can find a laptop with 2 hdd bay then thats boss.

it will to be good for a while cept when they move to the next gen direct x. Thats what the problem is with my expensive gaming laptop. the gpu does not support direct x 11. It can run the modern games cept for the direct x. Games that use direct x 10 run fine.

Your cpu is good it has 4 physical cores and hyper threading. It boosts to 3.8 which is nice. None of those 2 core machines should be called good. You know its processor and max ram that will be the main issue in the future. as well as the gpu but that laptop probably does not have a removable one

Whats with these new 7th gen i5 and i7 machines that are only dual core. that's stupid. anything i7 should be 4 core min with hyper-threading. I have a i7 gen 1 and it even has 4 cores with Hyper-threading.

My next laptop will have an intel 8 cores chip. id like 10 cores with 20 processing threads ideally. Why because i like to carry a mini server in a bag.

Last edited by Captain_N,

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No is not sarcastic, but I'm not rich, if i was, it wouldn't be a thread, i would just get the most expensive over $12,000 computer or something. I Found it for $1,099 After watching a give away on youtube sponsored by republic of gamers. Anyway, i want one able for high storage, and big screen and no is not a desktop replacement, hardly will be used for HDMI Unless is a capture device.

I want a affordable high performance laptop for games including existing ones and emulators. :)

Duckling

Sorry for being dumb ;(
Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Why care for the specs when it's a giveaway?

If you're curious as to whether this is worth actually buying it probably isn't as the graphics card sets a huge bottleneck to the system (it's not even a gtx 1050 ti) which cannot be upgraded as it's a laptop, and it's not like you're going to be gaming outside of your home and if you were to leave your home for a couple of months you might as well bring a portable PC that out performs the laptop mentioned above.

TL;DR

Laptop not worth buying as the 1050 sets it back by a lot and one could build a 1K pc with wayyy better specs

-edit-

I built a PC for 500 USD and it outperforms the Laptop for half the price

Last edited by Duckling,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

If you're curious as to whether this is worth actually buying it probably isn't as the graphics card sets a huge bottleneck to the system (it's not even a gtx 1050 ti) which cannot be upgraded as it's a laptop, and it's not like you're going to be gaming outside of your home and if you were to leave your home for a couple of months you might as well bring a portable PC that out performs the laptop mentioned above.

TL;DR

Laptop not worth buying as the 1050 sets it back by a lot and one could build a 1K pc with wayyy better specs

-edit-

Clevo laptops are quite upgradeable, so it is possible to upgrade the GPU later on (at least to certain GPU models), but it's more work than in a desktop. The heatsink is a separate part that has to be removed, then the GPU itself has to be removed, a new one fitted and the new heatsink applied. The heatsink + GPU comes in a set.

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

TL;DR

-edit-

Yet you voted yes. But the comments contradict the decision. :mellow:

To be clear to anyone reading this, i'm looking for a Laptop that can play games with good performance. Including 17 inch screen and lots of storage, and not cost too much. I'm not looking for a desktop pc.

raystriker

The powers that be
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Yet you voted yes. But the comments contradict the decision. :mellow:

To be clear to anyone reading this, i'm looking for a Laptop that can play games with good performance. Including 17 inch screen and lots of storage, and not cost too much. I'm not looking for a desktop pc.
Get the Clevo. Pretty upgradable, has the 1050Ti be default and add a M2 SSD and still cost less than the ASUS.

Last edited by raystriker,

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Get the Clevo. Pretty upgradable, has the 1050Ti be default and add a M2 SSD and still cost less than the ASUS.
M2 SSD? Isn't HDD more affordable and has more storage? How big a difference is the 1050 and (TI) that people keep mentioning it? I suppose if is less than projected price i will have to be happy :)

raystriker

The powers that be
Trophies
XP
Country
India
M2 SSD? Isn't HDD more affordable and has more storage? How big a difference is the 1050 and (TI) that people keep mentioning it? I suppose if is less than projected price i will have to be happy :)
It comes with a 1TB HDD by default, they also have an offer where you get the M2 SSD for a discount. I say whatever you do, get a SSD as a boot drive for sure, it'll make sure Windows doesn't slow down etc

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It comes with a 1TB HDD by default, they also have an offer where you get the M2 SSD for a discount. I say whatever you do, get a SSD as a boot drive for sure, it'll make sure Windows doesn't slow down etc

After careful consideration, i saw this on dell website that was linked to earlier. It is the same price but it does include a 1TB HDD and 128GB SSD, and the proper 1050TI everyone keeps talking about, along with some extra protection software. Though it doesn't have 17 screen i'm willing to overlook it for a improved performance.

The thing i noticed is the reviews listed mention something about a TN and color defect with the screen, is this a problem that can be solved or simply a preference of those users? Just curious bout that much, otherwise looks fairly okay if people recommend it. :)

raystriker

The powers that be
Trophies
XP
Country
India
After careful consideration, i saw this on dell website that was linked to earlier. It is the same price but it does include a 1TB HDD and 128GB SSD, and the proper 1050TI everyone keeps talking about, along with some extra protection software. Though it doesn't have 17 screen i'm willing to overlook it for a improved performance.

The thing i noticed is the reviews listed mention something about a TN and color defect with the screen, is this a problem that can be solved or simply a preference of those users? Just curious bout that much, otherwise looks fairly okay if people recommend it. :)
Yup, its preference. People expect too much these days.

J-Machine

Self proclaimed Pog champion
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

The screen on that dell is trash and you are looking at about a 10% increase in performance with the ti over stock 1050. In my opinion the few extra frames you get are negligible compared to the far superior screen of the asus. Also the SSD or M2 drive might improve the efficiency of windows; it won't make gaming any better due to how the data is managed while they run. If you don't mind windows taking 32 seconds to cold boot and another minute to get all it's background stuff fully ready (like loading steam) then it's far cheaper to simply get a regular high capacity HDD (I usually just hibernate my laptop though so I don't even notice nor care about the bootup process. maybe on a desktop it makes more sense but not a laptop)

EDIT: Your asus has 4gb on its 1050 so it is indeed the ti on that laptop.

Last edited by J-Machine, , Reason: didn't read the specs right

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The screen on that dell is trash and you are looking at about a 10% increase in performance with the ti over stock 1050. In my opinion the few extra frames you get are negligible compared to the far superior screen of the asus. Also the SSD or M2 drive might improve the efficiency of windows; it won't make gaming any better due to how the data is managed while they run. If you don't mind windows taking 32 seconds to cold boot and another minute to get all it's background stuff fully ready (like loading steam) then it's far cheaper to simply get a regular high capacity HDD (I usually just hibernate my laptop though so I don't even notice nor care about the bootup process. maybe on a desktop it makes more sense but not a laptop)

EDIT: Your asus has 4gb on its 1050 so it is indeed the ti on that laptop.
But it seem like everyone else here says is not 1050TI, so how can you tell? :wacko:

RandomUser

Rosalina in Plush Form
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No is not sarcastic, but I'm not rich, if i was, it wouldn't be a thread, i would just get the most expensive over $12,000 computer or something. I Found it for $1,099 After watching a give away on youtube sponsored by republic of gamers. Anyway, i want one able for high storage, and big screen and no is not a desktop replacement, hardly will be used for HDMI Unless is a capture device.

I want a affordable high performance laptop for games including existing ones and emulators. :)
Trust me, there isn't much you can do with the $12,000+ computer (at least to the consumer). All them cores are not even utilize properly by software. You can however use it as a heater in the wintertime though, but winter is over. It sure is fun to build though:). So if you really need all of them RAM, I am talking 256GB+ of RAM, then the 12K+ computer would suit you, or using it for other applications that most consumers would not use it for.

J-Machine

Self proclaimed Pog champion
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
But it seem like everyone else here says is not 1050TI, so how can you tell? :wacko:
I can tell because the 1050 uses 2gb of vram while the 1050ti uses 4gb of vram. the only difference between desktop and mobile versions of these cards is the form factor and it's slightly downclocked for energy efficiency

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr