Hacking please help my brain, it hurts from reading to much. haxchi, cbhc, mocha, reinand

roamin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
please help a fellow wii u noob out. i have been reading so much info and watched way to many video that i have now confused myself.

what i would like in the end ultimately is a wii u that plays backups, bouncing through menus and browsers is not an issue for me, but it is for my partner.

so what im after is a setup where she can turn it on, load mariokart and play online. she plays it all the time so i need to make sure she can continue to play online.

whats the best configuration for me to do in order to be able to do this? haxchi and mocha need to be loaded every time, cbhc autoboots but i keep reading its abilty to brick consoles, but i dont know how it bricks consoles. why does it brick them?

i run a 3ds with sysnand on 9.2 and aureinand on 11.? have not loaded it up to check firmware for a while on my 3ds, but i did all the modding to that, so following a guide is not an issue for me.

as i said earlier i basically need to make it fool proof in the context that when i set it up my partner can just use it like a normal wii u as she does now. turn it on, load a game. the end.

whats the best way to do this?
whats the best guide to follow?
is there a video guide i can watch on it? always helps to actually see how things are done.

if i brick it, im dead. she will shoot me lol. but i always like to modify consoles, phones, handhelds and so on. so far i have had a 100% success rate, id like to keep it that way :)

jerzmob

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can follow either kimura or flimflam69 guide. Practically one copied the other. Idk the story behind.

Yes...shots fired...

J/k

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just look into haxchi. Better to press a button than risk a brick by being lazy. Then use wiiusb helper and wup installer.
Usually spoken by someone that doesn't use CBHC. You won't brick.

Just don't format your Wii U and follow instructions and you'll have what you want. CBHC4life baby!

nasune

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
So basically, Haxchi is akin to the Wii's homebrew channel and is accomplished (I think at least, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) by modifying a legit (as in legitimately bought from the eshop) DS VC game. This ensures that there's no more need for web exploits after installing it, and enables you to use wupinstaller to install the games and updates. What you need to know about the games is that, as long as they had a proper key (obtained from a physical release rather than being an eshop only release) you do not need mocha or the likes. It will play those.
Where mocha and other cfws come into play is when you want to install DLCs or eshop only games, these have to be false signed and the CFW will allow you to install them and play them. This is not hard because the only thing you have to do is open up haxchi, tap mocha and press A.
Cbhc is something slightly different, in that it allows you to run a CFW on startup. This means a little more setup (you'll have to install another 'homebrew channel' of which the name escapes me at the moment) but after that you can start any game immediately (ie no longer having to start up mocha manually). The main risks associated with this method are bricking when you move (to usb) or delete the VC game used for the exploit. This sents the system into a loop where it tries to start cbhc but it can't because it does not exist where it should.

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So basically, Haxchi is akin to the Wii's homebrew channel and is accomplished (I think at least, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) by modifying a legit (as in legitimately bought from the eshop) DS VC game. This ensures that there's no more need for web exploits after installing it, and enables you to use wupinstaller to install the games and updates. What you need to know about the games is that, as long as they had a proper key (obtained from a physical release rather than being an eshop only release) you do not need mocha or the likes. It will play those.
Where mocha and other cfws come into play is when you want to install DLCs or eshop only games, these have to be false signed and the CFW will allow you to install them and play them. This is not hard because the only thing you have to do is open up haxchi, tap mocha and press A.
Cbhc is something slightly different, in that it allows you to run a CFW on startup. This means a little more setup (you'll have to install another 'homebrew channel' of which the name escapes me at the moment) but after that you can start any game immediately (ie no longer having to start up mocha manually). The main risks associated with this method are bricking when you move (to usb) or delete the VC game used for the exploit. This sents the system into a loop where it tries to start cbhc but it can't because it does not exist where it should.
Just so you know. The two things you mentioned that cause bricks have been fixed for some time now. You can't move the haxchi to usb and it will refuse to install to usb and warn you to unplug usb. You basically have to format your Wii U without removing CBHC first to brick

Reactions: nasune

nasune

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Just so you know. The two things you mentioned that cause bricks have been fixed for some time now. You can't move the haxchi to usb and it will refuse to install to usb and warn you to unplug usb. You basically have to format your Wii U without removing CBHC first to brick
I didn't know that so thanks. By any means, if I have made any mistakes please call me out on my bullshit. I'm trying to give as much (basic) information as possible so if I'm wrong on some points please correct me immediately.

roamin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
cheers everyone for your help. cbhc seems like the way to go.

i also came across https://wiiu.guide/ but its also running rednand which does not seem to be common. what are peoples thoughts?

"A complete guide to Wii U custom firmware, from stock to Coldboot Haxchi + RedNAND."

also seen this video which looks promising for installing cbhc and so on.

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't know that so thanks. By any means, if I have made any mistakes please call me out on my bullshit. I'm trying to give as much (basic) information as possible so if I'm wrong on some points please correct me immediately.
No worries man. It's not bullshit. I just hear a lot of people trying to steer people away from HaxChi because of "brick risks". It's really the most noob friendly easy option. You wanna see brick risk? Try soldering a ps2 mod chip to that console! Or flashing the wrong bin file to an Xbox tsop. Hell even jtag for xbox360 was asking for a brick.

Reactions: nasune

roamin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
No worries man. It's not bullshit. I just hear a lot of people trying to steer people away from HaxChi because of "brick risks". It's really the most noob friendly easy option. You wanna see brick risk? Try soldering a ps2 mod chip to that console! Or flashing the wrong bin file to an Xbox tsop. Hell even jtag for xbox360 was asking for a brick.

lol the ps2 solder days, they were a nightmare of a thing to do! i forgot about them days.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

@Kafluke what do you think of the video link i posted?

Mystic Shadow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't use cbhchi mainly bc of my GF. She doesn't understand all the hack stuff and my luck she would move it to USB. she has already done that with haxchi 2days ago. But make SURE you BUY the DS game and that normal haxchi works 1st then go for cbhchi.

roamin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I don't use cbhchi mainly bc of my GF. She doesn't understand all the hack stuff and my luck she would move it to USB. she has already done that with haxchi 2days ago. But make SURE you BUY the DS game and that normal haxchi works 1st then go for cbhchi.

How did she move it to usb? Turn it on. Load your game and play it. Turn off wiiu. The end. My GF wont go through setting menus and try and transfer files. From one drive to another. As kafluke said earlier you cant move it to usb now. If im wrong please tell me as thats why i started this thread. I will be modding mine in 24 hours. Just want to see what peoples thoughts are before i start. I want to do it once and do it right. Cheers :)

Mystic Shadow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had an old version of haxchi I updated it now. She tried to make space for an art game. In the end it's better to be safe than sorry. Use haxchi for a bit and if you hate clicking it on startup then go for cbhchi. It's your system but if you want no risk of brick then stick with haxchi.

D

Deleted-384698

cbhc is fairly dangerous on a console connected to the internet
an update push could brick the console if it patched haxchi somehow which is why i've stayed far away

BUT nintendo doesn't give a single fuck about wii u anymore so it's possible we'll never see another update

D

Deleted User

cbhc is fairly dangerous on a console connected to the internet
an update push could brick the console if it patched haxchi somehow which is why i've stayed far away

BUT nintendo doesn't give a single fuck about wii u anymore so it's possible we'll never see another update
*sigh* That's why we have custom DNS.

Trylk248

Honest helper and custom content creator.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey there, I've tried to install Haxchi and I resulted into Console Brick (total). I had to send my Wii U for repair at Nintendo.

Here is what happened, hopes this can help you in your choices.

So first of all, I had Homebrew Channel installed onto SD Card, then I wanted to install Haxchi (Coldboot Hack).

I follown all the steps written. Saddly, the steps are really missing details and explanations, so there's a risk you forget something to do because of the lack of details and guide's quality.

When I rebooted my Wii U, it had the error code for a Console Brick on startup, my Wii U was booting "Wii U", then BAM!, Error Code.

I called Nintendo, told them I was having an issue with my console, it was the first time it occured. They asked me : So, you can't bootup the Wii U without having error code right? I answered : Correct, myself reading a lot on hacks but not being a hacker myself, I know and am aware of what are the risks. :)

Then, I had to pack the Wii U in a box, I used bubble-plastic protection and sent it to Vancouver via Purolator Canada.

It took 10 days for the console to be repaired. (Total time). And because I am the first original owner and it was the first time it happened, it costed me nothing ("0.00$" CAD)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Apply snorgle to pinfor.