ROM Hack (Please Help) Memory problem, game running too slow!

Totorreto51

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Hi guys.
I'm practically new at ROM Hacking, but i know about a few things...

So, i was editing with HxD a GBA game (Pokémon Firered specifically), what i wanted to do is make the Music play at a higher quality, changing the Frequency/Sample Rate of DirectSound playback from 14kHz (13379Hz) to 42kHz (42048Hz).
I suceed with that, with some bugs that i can fix but it worked.
And, here's come the big problem:
Making the game renderize the music and sounds at a higher Sample Rate make the game use more memory, and now it runs tooo slower...
I want to know... How do i fix that?

I know about another GBA games that used higher quality audio than 16Khz at least (Like Dragon Ball Supersonic Warriors, Medabots AX, and Megaman Zero Saga per example)
And even a Pokémon Hack (Pokémon Clover) that also made it as well, playing it at full speed!

I have in know that there are GBA Games that used additional RAM Memory inside the Cartridge, maybe do that work for that?
I tried to at least compare a thing or two about some games Sappy Engine hex values (Like that Hack, or Megaman Zero) to maybe see a way to use extended memory but i just don't know enough about this... :c

Does anyone know anything about that? I'll really apreciate any answer!
Thanks in Advance!
TOTORRETO 51​

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know that any commercial games ever used extra memory.

It was available for homebrew however and could be within reason to use in a ROM hack (though it will seriously seriously limit the number of emulators and flash carts that it can run on, and might even need multiple versions)

Is it a lack of memory that is causing the issues? Lack of CPU time or lack of cartridge bandwidth (which extra RAM would likely not do anything about as it is sitting on the same bus, and frankly it is not going to make all that much difference over making a larger ROM) maybe would be where I look to for this. If other games are maybe not as demanding then they might be able to afford to use higher playback frequencies without crashing into limits on other things.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)