please help me with my homework I have no idea what I'm doing

Jokey_Carrot

G̶B̶A̶T̶e̶m̶p̶ ̶A̶d̶d̶i̶c̶t̶ Heroin Addict.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So this is the task

Task 9

Write 3 PEA paragraphs that answers the question:

How does Sherriff use the stage directions (below) to add dramatic tension at this crucial point in the play? Look at: personification, metaphor, onomatopoeia, sound, adjectives, semantic fields, verbs, repetition etc. What is the effect on the audience?

Act 3

OSBORNE and RALEIGH go up together in the pale evening sun. MASON

tidies the papers on the table; picks up the two coffee mugs, and goes away.

There is a silence in the trenches above the deserted dug-out. Then, suddenly,

there comes the dull “crush” of bursting smoke bombs, followed in a second by

a vicious rattle of machine guns. The red and green glow of German alarm rockets

come faintly through the dug-out door. Then comes the thin whistle and crash

of falling shells; first one by itself, then two, almost together. Quicker and

quicker they come, till the noise mingles together in confused turmoil. Yet the

noise is deadened by the earth walls of the tiny dug-out, and comes quite softly

till the whine of one shell rises above the others to a shriek and a crash. A dark

funnel of earth leaps up beyond the parapet of the trench outside; earth falls

and rattles down the steps, and a black cloud of smoke rises slowly out of sight.

Gradually, the noise dies away – there is a longer pause between the crash of each

bursting shell. The machineguns stop – rattle again and stop – rattle for the last time

– and stop. Voices are calling in the trench outside; STANHOPE’S voice is heard.

I Really don't know how I can spread this to 3 pea paragraphs, In each of these paragraphs it needs a point and each point needs to link back to the question. This is followed by evidence normally in the form of a quote or two. Then it's finished off with an analysis of said evidence confirming the point. The trouble is I'm unsure how these stage directions create dramatic tension, They certainly add to the play and must help actors set the scene but I don't know how they create tension. Another thing I'm unsure about is writing 3 peas, As surley this one question only needs one pea. Please help me. Cheers.

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
What grade are you in, or your age, I suppose since I wouldn't know what the UK version of "grade" translates to. That'll help in seeing what the question wants from you.

You need three paragraphs, right? Just tackle some of those subjects they already gave you. For onomaopoeia and sound, you've got the dull "crush", the whine of one shell, a shriek and crash, all of these sounds and noises are unsettling--tense, as they describe some war scene. You need these words to create unease. The words whine, shriek, and crush all have horrible connotations to them. They're negative words, they make the reader think of a more dramatic setting

Reactions: nxwing

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
PEA = Point Evidence Analysis

You are specifically told to analyse the stage directions (which is to say not dialogue) in the piece. Fortunately just about everything is a direction in this if it is a play.

3 paragraphs are required (pro tip -- read and do what the question asks of you. The only reason you would think 1 question 1 paragraph is because you got used to simple questions in old exams/tests/whatever. Real world and more advanced education is not like that so again read what is wanted and do that, also works in the real world -- try to figure out what someone wants rather than just doing, sometimes they might not know what they want and they might want something impossible but you still have to try to figure out what it is to get there.) but you are given many more things to look at
"personification, metaphor, onomatopoeia, sound, adjectives, semantic fields, verbs, repetition etc"

personification = giving something human like characteristics (the wind is not vicious as it is just wind but can be described as such) or form (the devil on your shoulder sort of thing). In this case noise is not confused as it is just noise.
metaphor = something is referenced by means something (it is not a funnel of love)
onomatopoeia = words made to imitate the sounds they describe. A dog goes "woof", woof being onomatopoeia.
sound. I presume that includes the absence of sound (silence is mentioned, calm before the storm, in the eye of the storm) but in most of that barely a line goes by without mentioning sound.
adjectives. Hopefully obvious at this point in school but they are describing words (as opposed to things or actions, though you can have adverbs which are combinations of adjective and verb. Anyway the funnel was dark, just like death.
semantic field. Interesting choice of thing to look at for a level like this. Words related to each other, a field, a common use.
repetition. Rhyming patterns do all sorts of things to people and repetition is the most basic of all of those. "I just want it to be over being a popular notion in war or attacks/moments of high stress. In this case lot of rattling going on. Rattling is both a warning sound and a pleasing sound to some (a baby tends to have a rattle) but that might be going in too deep for what it asks here.
it says etc in case you do decide to come up with another, and you might have been given prompts in class. That said there are benefits to not colouring outside the lines.

Adds to tension? Sounds like a dangerous situation wherein who lives and who dies is essentially random with nothing you can do to stop it but if you make it through this one then you survive to go again.

You would then start by first rewriting the question to state what you are about to do.

This point in the play is considered crucial (I don't know if it is the setup for something, the end of something, or just "and then everything changed") and as such it is worth analysing it, specifically the stage directions, to see how they add to the tension of the scene.

I would read through looking for examples of each of those and then picking out the ones I could write the best about, you could get away with a lot less though.

Let's also get it in a nicer to read form.
OSBORNE and RALEIGH go up together in the pale evening sun.

MASON tidies the papers on the table; picks up the two coffee mugs, and goes away.

There is a silence in the trenches above the deserted dug-out.

Then, suddenly, there comes the dull “crush” of bursting smoke bombs, followed in a second by a vicious rattle of machine guns.

The red and green glow of German alarm rockets come faintly through the dug-out door.

Then comes the thin whistle and crash of falling shells; first one by itself, then two, almost together.

Quicker and quicker they come, till the noise mingles together in confused turmoil.

Yet the noise is deadened by the earth walls of the tiny dug-out, and comes quite softly till the whine of one shell rises above the others to a shriek and a crash.

A dark funnel of earth leaps up beyond the parapet of the trench outside; earth falls and rattles down the steps, and a black cloud of smoke rises slowly out of sight.

Gradually, the noise dies away – there is a longer pause between the crash of each bursting shell.

The machineguns stop – rattle again and stop – rattle for the last time – and stop.

Voices are calling in the trench outside;

STANHOPE’S voice is heard.

Jokey_Carrot

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What grade are you in, or your age, I suppose since I wouldn't know what the UK version of "grade" translates to. That'll help in seeing what the question wants from you.

You need three paragraphs, right? Just tackle some of those subjects they already gave you. For onomaopoeia and sound, you've got the dull "crush", the whine of one shell, a shriek and crash, all of these sounds and noises are unsettling--tense, as they describe some war scene. You need these words to create unease. The words whine, shriek, and crush all have horrible connotations to them. They're negative words, they make the reader think of a more dramatic setting
I'm in year 9 which is 13-14

Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Do your own homework, unless you want to get hit with plagiarism.
They likely do not use plagiarism checkers for his OPs group. And to be fair to him (her?), he (she?) did ask for help.. not actual cheating.

Even if OP did cheat from here, I doubt someone would copy and paste the answers for OP from somewhere. If someone comes out with original answers for OP and OP's teacher actually does happen to use a plagiarism checker (which they won't), it won't look plagiarised.

OP, you need to make sure you are getting help, though. Do not downright cheat. This is for your development.

Last edited by Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee,

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They likely do not use plagiarism checkers for his age group. And to be fair to him (her?), he (she?) did ask for help.. not actual cheating.

Even if OP did cheat from here, I doubt someone would copy and paste the answers for OP from somewhere. If someone comes out with original answers for OP and OP's teacher actually does happen to use a plagiarism checker (which they won't), it won't look plagiarised.

OP, you need to make sure you are getting help, though. Do not downright cheat. This is for your development.

He is in high school , grade 9 so plagiarism does count, a teacher can still claim if he plagiarises if they have enough evidence.

Jokey_Carrot

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
He is in high school , grade 9 so plagiarism does count, a teacher can still claim if he plagiarises if they have enough evidence.

People are just explaining certain features of the question such as language devices and such. No one has actually just written out the answer which would be less helpful as I wouldn't have any understanding of the question. I'd say you're being to cynical but most of my peers haven't even looked at the lockdown homework. And on a side note Year 9 in the uk is the third year of high school and I'm pretty sure grade 9 in america is the first year of high school.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People are just explaining certain features of the question such as language devices and such. No one has actually just written out the answer which would be less helpful as I wouldn't have any understanding of the question. I'd say you're being to cynical but most of my peers haven't even looked at the lockdown homework. And on a side note Year 9 in the uk is the third year of high school and I'm pretty sure grade 9 in america is the first year of high school.

You did picked the wrong place to asks for help on homework, this is a forum focused more on gaming, since you are in high school, you should understand the circumstance if you get caught with plagerism, it is pretty easy for your teacher as they will be able to tell it is not your writing, beside no one here is going to do your homework.

Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You did picked the wrong place to asks for help on homework, this is a forum focused more on gaming, since you are in high school, you should understand the circumstance if you get caught with plagerism, it is pretty easy for your teacher as they will be able to tell it is not your writing, beside no one here is going to do your homework.
Did you even read OPs response?

I think that it is cool that people actually started helping him. I did not expect that to happen, but it did and it was nice.

Reactions: Lostbhoy

Jokey_Carrot

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not asking for anyone to do my homework for me, I was only asking for advice. I'd like to thank everyone on this thread for helping me with this as I have an assesment next week that this is building up to.

AncientBoi

THEE GAY WARLORD™ - Defender of GAY Rights
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I remember one of my teachers would have take-home tests, and she would say, "don't cheat by using the book or the internet." lmao, okay.

I would never:)

[crosses fingers behind my back] :evil:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Sup