Please help me get my Xbox 360 on Live.

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by Gaisuto, May 3, 2007.

May 3, 2007
  1. Gaisuto
    OP

Former Staff Gaisuto Lose 2 Levels.

United States
    Before we moved to the condo, the master router was directly connected to my computer in my room. Because of that, I could of just directly wired the 360 to the Router, and it connected perfectly through that, and even then the media center features worked.

Now we're here though, the Master Router has to be by the kitchen on the other side of the house because of how everything is set up. Impossible to move it here. My main computer is online through a USB Router. How do I get my 360 to connect to Live *and* my computer for the Media Center features? Honestly, it's the Media Center stuff I'm trying to get worked out. Logic would tell me directly connecting the Ethernet Cable from my 360 to my Computer would do it, but instead all it does is shut off my main internet and my 360 sits there not being able to detect my computer. My computer on the other hand knows there is a LAN connected.

How can I get my 360 connected to both my computer and Live? Can I still connect it to my computer through another wireless router?

2. Azimuth

Member Azimuth Chicken Teriyaki Boy!

Canada
    You connect your computer and your 360 on the same router(via ethernet), making it one network. Then run the detect pc thing in the options. That should work.

Im no expert since I have never used the media center capabilities.

3. Gaisuto
    OP

United States
    The USB Router my computer is hooked up to isn't even Ethernet though. It's just a Wireless Device. It connects from a weird slot on the wireless router to the USB of the computer.

4. Azimuth

Canada
    so does that router happen to have other ethernet slots, just plug the 360 to the router, as long as the pc and the router are on the same network then it should work.

5. Gaisuto
    OP

United States
    There are no other slots, that's the thing.

Also I do have another Router, a real looking one with Ethernet Slots for the Broadband itself, all the Local spots. The problem is getting that one to actually connect with the internet itself, let alone my computer.

6. Suranwrap

Newcomer Suranwrap Member

Canada
    Networkin over USB is a pain, just use Cat5 Ethernet. just simple, and faster.

I have all my networking stuff on a different floor, so i just ran cable through the walls and then put a nice faceplate on the wall. Now i just have a 6 foot cable pluging into the wall jack from the xbox.
    If you cant do that, might be best to pay someone to do it.

Or spend the $100+ on the wireless adapter... that might cost more then to pay someone to wire it for you, and wireless is not as fast as hard wire.

7. Gaisuto
    OP

United States
    What you mean, Suranwrap, is that if I got another wireless router similar to the one my computer is hooked up to, the 360 will be able to connect to my computer as well as go on Live?

Also with our situation with living in the condo, making holes in the wall to put the cables through isn't an option, unfortunately.

8. Azimuth

Canada
    No the 360 has a wireless adaptor that you can plug in to it: http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Wireless-Ne...78231351&sr=8-1
    this saves you the trouble of using ethernet. I suggest you buy a cheap linksys router, so that you can use wireless if you need to and it also provides multiple ethernet slots.

9. Gaisuto
    OP

United States
    I know that. I mean that even if both computers use some kind of Wireless Router, they can still connect to each other too?

10. Azimuth

Canada
    ya as long as they connect through the same router.

11. Gaisuto
    OP

United States
    Okay. Another scenario because I don't have another Wireless Router for the 360, nor the $100 to just spend on one.

I have an actual router thing too. Has Ethernet slots in the back for the Broadband as well as the local slots. The problem is I can't get the actual device hooked up to the actual internet from this distance. Is the only way to do it through direct cable or is there another way?

12. Azimuth

Canada
    You need to invest in more cable, thats the only way. I know it suck, main reason I switched my routers position but live is worth it [​IMG]

just to clarify, you have a router that connects via USB to your pc. This router doesn't have any ethernet slots, and your other router has ethernet slots but can't reach the internet from where it is. Why don't you just swap the ethernet router for the USB router then run some cable from the ethernet router to the 360?

13. Gaisuto
    OP

United States
    We have come up with a solution, though I'd like to know generally how much cable costs. How much would a 100ft Ethernet Cable cost, you'd think?

14. Azimuth

Canada
    23.80 on amazon for 100ft belkin, good quality wire I use some of it for networking here and there. You can get it for much cheaper, just look around, should be between 15-25 dollars.

generic stuff is about 6 bucks, its pretty much the same. Wire is wire

15. adgloride

Member adgloride Its A Wii Wario

United Kingdom
    I've got loads of stuff running off my router. Including the xbox 360. I got 100ft ethernet cable off ebay. I was lazy though and just put it throughout the house. If you can be bothered to drill through floor boards etc.... you can save yourself money on ethernet cabling.

16. Gaisuto
    OP

United States
    We got a cable and we got it connected. Live works now, and even TVersity shows up now. Although no videos will actually play from TVersity, everything is working now. Thanks a bunch for the help guys.