Hacking Please help me find software to run my card on my DSi!

sum1quiet

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
A fairly long time ago, I bought a flashcart for my DSi and it worked just fine. Tried a load of games, all worked.

I've since tried to play Pokémon White, but it wouldn't run. So I looked around a bit, thought maybe I needed to try a different firmware. I'm not very knowledgeable in this area so I don't know all the different cards and permutations of software that will run on them, but I tried loads (Wood, AKAIO, RetroGameFan, YSMenu, TTMenu) and I could not get the thing to work. I even tried updating my DSi in the hope that it would work on a newer firmware, which in hindsight may have screwed me over...

I've uploaded a picture of the card and the PCB here. The software that I got from the site listed on the card won't even boot, I just get a screen saying an error has occurred and to read the Nintendo operation manual. The card is identified by the DSi as 'Danny Phantom Urban Jungle THQ'.

Appreciate if anyone can help me get this thing working again :)

Thanks

DragorianSword

GBAtemp's #1 Gunter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Try this one: http://www.r4i.ndsi.in/download/V3.0/R4GOLDv3.0_EN.zip
Also it's best you format the card before doing this (backup your games and saves before you do!)

assassin98

Trophies
XP
Country
Pakistan
If u R4 is really a clone like mine (r4i-dshc) ,u can run some r4 clone firmware.like i did i could run some r4 clone firmwares. get this kernal and try it:http://r4i-dshc.com/downloade.asp
they didnt release a new kernal from a long time so to play new games u might need to use RGF
HOPE THIS WORKS!!!

EyeZ

Trophies
XP
A fairly long time ago, I bought a flashcart for my DSi and it worked just fine. Tried a load of games, all worked.

I've since tried to play Pokémon White, but it wouldn't run. So I looked around a bit, thought maybe I needed to try a different firmware. I'm not very knowledgeable in this area so I don't know all the different cards and permutations of software that will run on them, but I tried loads (Wood, AKAIO, RetroGameFan, YSMenu, TTMenu) and I could not get the thing to work. I even tried updating my DSi in the hope that it would work on a newer firmware, which in hindsight may have screwed me over...

I've uploaded a picture of the card and the PCB here. The software that I got from the site listed on the card won't even boot, I just get a screen saying an error has occurred and to read the Nintendo operation manual. The card is identified by the DSi as 'Danny Phantom Urban Jungle THQ'.

Thanks

The error message you are receiving indicates you have updated your DSi which means your R4i will no longer work on your DSi.

You will need to go to the website of your R4i to see if they have released an update patch (that's if your R4i is upgradable)

sum1quiet

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I had a look on their site (www.r4ids.com) and there seems to be nothing that relates to the card that I have. Isn't it possible to patch it using another clone's update? As you can see in the picture of the PCB, the IC is the same one that's used in other clones so I don't understand why I can't just update it using another software patch.

Has anyone else done this?

SparkyX1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had a look on their site (www.r4ids.com) and there seems to be nothing that relates to the card that I have. Isn't it possible to patch it using another clone's update? As you can see in the picture of the PCB, the IC is the same one that's used in other clones so I don't understand why I can't just update it using another software patch.

Has anyone else done this?
I would be careful doing this as I had a clone with a very similar PCB and it would brick when trying to use any other firmware or kernel. I went through 3 of them just playing with different kernels and loaders and rarely would another clone's kernel/firmware work. Your best bet is to upgrade your flash cart, but you might be able to find a suitable update with some diligence.
-edit (By firmware I was meaning the update patch. Sorry for the confusion)

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
It's not just about the main chip model, bootloader/firmware updates are cart-specific for various technical reasons, and the updates often have clone checks built into them and will refuse to run on anything other than the cart type it was meant for, to prevent competitors from leeching the updates.

Updates for a cart will come from the site printed on the cart. If the site/team no longer supports that card, than you should get a new one with support.
http://gbatemp.net/t290097-which-flash-cart-should-i-get

What Oreo is talking about (kernels/loaders) is a separate issue from what you have.

eggsample

punahussy
Trophies
Website
eggsample.pl
XP
Country
Poland
This flashcard works with dsi 1.4 and older OS versions and it's not upgradable for future system. It has HW limitations, sorry. Get some another card, AK2i, R4i-SDHC, DSTwo, or one of the officialy supported by YWG Wood firmwares. Check shoptem.

warior

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

Thanks

got the same card recently. Found that my card is equal with R4i Gold Non-3DS from www.r4ids.cn and can run WOOD R4i kernel from there.
Then patched mine to work with my DSi v1.4.4, more you can read here - Upgrading the firmware of old R4i Gold r4ids.com card
(btw, before patching it has danny phantom urban jungle icon, after patch for 1.44dsi icon changed to deep labyrinth)

sum1quiet

OP
Trophies
XP
Country

Thanks

got the same card recently. Found that my card is equal with R4i Gold Non-3DS from www.r4ids.cn and can run WOOD R4i kernel from there.
Then patched mine to work with my DSi v1.4.4, more you can read here - Upgrading the firmware of old R4i Gold r4ids.com card
(btw, before patching it has danny phantom urban jungle icon, after patch for 1.44dsi icon changed to deep labyrinth)

Thanks for the advice :) I don't have access to another DSi / 3DS so for the time being I can't downgrade it but hopefully I can borrow one at some point so I can try your suggestion. Thanks to all who've given advice.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: butt