Please Help Me Diagnose My Wiikey Problem

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by WiteWulf, May 16, 2007.

May 16, 2007
  1. WiteWulf
    OP

Newcomer WiteWulf Member

United Kingdom
    Hi guys, I'm having quite some trouble getting my wiikey install to work. I've soldered it in a few times now to make sure the joints are all ok and get the same results each time:

- Insert wiikey 1.2 setup disc and Gamecube logo appears in the Disc Channel but trying to boot this results in the Wii resetting and the disc then coming up as unrecognisable.

- Burnt Excite Truck disc always comes up as unreadable.

- Kosher Wii disc still play fine.

The wiikey is a wired install and, as already mentioned, I've redone the soldering a number of times now with the same results.

My only real idea is that if the hardware is OK I've messed up burning those discs under OS X. I'll try reburning the discs on a Windows box tomorrow but if anyone has any bright ideas in the meantime I'd appreciate them!

2. darrrren

Newcomer darrrren Member

United Kingdom
    it sounds like you have a faulty chip or an installation error.

3. squirt1000

Banned squirt1000 Would rather have a cup of Tea!

United Kingdom
    Dont think its gonna be a disk error mate, Sounds like the wiikey itself is only partially working Odd that the setup disk will only partially work. With mine and a mates wiikey we had to both use the setup disk 1st before the wii would recognise a backup in the drive! Now its taking games burnt on any old shite disks ive had lying around the place [​IMG]

4. Hooya

Member Hooya GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    I know I tried to install a WiiKey for a customer the other weekend and it just didn't work. Acted like there was no modchip there at all. The setup disk that came with it (he bought it with a setup kit that included some wire and solder) didn't even do an initial spin. In installed a WiiFree in his system and everything worked like it should. Unless I fried a resistor or something getting to close with the soldering iron (very unlikely), that WiiKey was DOA... I've heard other reports of the same thing.

5. darrrren

Newcomer darrrren Member

United Kingdom
    iv installed over 20 wiikeys and never used the setup disc at all.everyone worked first time but there must be a percentage of faulty chips.i also have 47 games which all work i use good quality ritek G05 full face discs and pionner 112d a matshita and a nec 510 writers and have had no problems except the ones with visable disc faults.

6. dsrules

Member dsrules GBAtemp Psycho!

Make sure that the Setup disc you made is the correct file size, sometimes it produce a 6mb or 7mb iso file (maybe a glitch in the program). But, the correct size you want is
    4.37 GB (4,699,979,776 bytes)
    and any brand of DVD-R media should work on the Wii...

7. WiteWulf
    OP

Newcomer WiteWulf Member

United Kingdom
    Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I'll try burning the setup disk again but am I correct in thinking that it should play copied games from the get go once I've installed the wiikey without ever having loaded the setup disc?

Fortunately I've got a bag of 3 wiikey chips here so I'll have a go with another chip tonight and see if I've toasted the first one.

8. Louse76

Member Louse76 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I've had someone bring in an ebay chip that was crap too, but again, it acted like it wasn't there.

Therefore, I think it's a burner/burning method/bad ISO/bad media problem.

It wouldn't recognize it as a gamecube disc otherwise...

9. Louse76

Member Louse76 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Setup disc is only necessary for setting region free and disc read speed. I have modded multiple and not run it, works fine.