Please help me access Wii Shop without updating officially.

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Smash Br0, Dec 26, 2009.

1. Smash Br0
    OP

Member Smash Br0 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Hello fellow Tempers. I hope you all had a merry Christmas / happy holiday... Now, I need some help with a small Wii hacking-related problem. If I had more time, I'd look up how to fix it myself, but these next few days are going to be busy, and I've only got until the 31st to solve the issue:

I've got a launch US Wii, running 3.2U, which I've only installed the Homebrew channel and BootMii on. I installed BootMii to boot2 and made a NAND backup a while back, and I haven't done any more Wii hacking since then. Now, my problem is that I need to access the new Wii Shop to redeem 1800 Wii points I won in the Pepsi Rock Band promotion... But I don't know how to access the Wii Shop channel without accepting the firmware update it would prompt me to download, and that's not the best option last time I checked. The codes I need to enter expire on December 31st, so I need to access the Wii Shop channel to redeem them before then.

So, how do I do this? I'd greatly appreciate it if someone could post a step-by-step solution. If I had more time, I'd be happy to read through the guides and stickies (which I did a while back, but I've forgotten...), but my family has a lot planned for these next few days (big birthday party for a sibling), so I really don't have the time to figure this out on my own without risking running out of time.

Thanks for your time and (hopefully) help! [​IMG]

2. giantpune

Member giantpune GBAtemp Addict

United States
    http://www.wiibrew.org/wiki/Wii_Shop_IOS60...d_Mii_installer

install the shop channel and its IOS. since you are on 3.2, DO NOT TOUCH IOS30. it shouldnt be an option in this program. but just so you know, if you fuck up IOS30, your wii will need the nand backup to fix it.

well, I've just used that app to update my IOS61 and shop channel on a 3.3u wii. the only downside i see is that the shop channel is 18 parts and if one times out, you must restart the app and try again. using DOP-IOS (the giantpune mod) if you download 9 parts and one fails, you can retry and it will use the 9 parts that you already downloaded as it has saved them on the SD card.

3. Smash Br0
    OP

United States
    ... How do I install this, exactly? For example, how do I set up the SD card, and what menus do I go through...? I'm sorry for my noobness; it's been many months since I've done any Wii hacking, and the only "hacking" I've ever done is installing the HBC and BootMii. >_>;

A link to a guide that explains how to install this would be most helpful if you don't want to explain step-by-step. Thanks very much for helping!

4. bazamuffin

Member bazamuffin RESIDENT DILF

United Kingdom
    SD:/apps/wiishopIOS60installer/boot.dol

The 'wiishopIOS60installer' sub folder can be named anything, as long as you have the 'apps' folder and the .dol renamed to boot.dol. Simply run it though HBC

5. Smash Br0
    OP

United States
    Okay, I followed the link giantpune posted and obtained the "IOS61_Shop_Mii_Installer." It's on my desktop now... Its folder contains a lot of files:

Folder: build (contains 18 files)
    Folder: data (contains 1 file)
    Folder: source (contains 12 files)
    boot.dol
    boot.elf
    COPYING (what is this, BTW?)
    Makefile (I don't know what this is for, either)
    README
    www.Wii-Info.fr

Now, what do I do with all this? I've got a blank 2GB SD card, and my Wii only has HBC and BootMii (on boot2) on it. No other programs have been installed... Is that a problem? I know there's one or two I should install for further brick protection, but I don't recall their names ATM.

Only 3 days left, and tomorrow's going to be busy... ;

I'm such a noob at this.

6. Smash Br0
    OP

United States
    *bump*

I only have two days left to get this done... Today is booked.

I really need some specific, detailed instructions on what to do with these files. I would normally look up the how-to myself, but I'm almost out of time...!

7. Jys072595

Newcomer Jys072595 Newbie

United States
    --Download WiiSCU (Download the newest version, 0.23).
    --Open up the .zip file.
    --Open up the apps folder.
    --Copy the folder in there (Wii System Channel Updater it'll probably be called) to the apps folder on your SD card (The path should be something like *:\apps\Wii System
    Channel Updater, where the * is the letter of your SD card).
    --Put the SD card in your Wii.
    --Start WiiSCU.
    --Choose to update IOS61 and the Wii Shop Channel, both without the Trucha Bug (Follow the instructions on screen for this).
    --Go back to the system menu. You /should/ be able to access the channel now.

8. farcry15

Member farcry15 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    you only really need boot.dol the rest is the source code and and stuff you really don't need. have a look at the file called README by double clicking it and opening it with notepad

9. Playgame38

Newcomer Playgame38 Advanced Member

United States
    Agreed.

10. Smash Br0
    OP

United States
    Okay, I followed these instructions:
    Now, I've got a new 2GB SD card with this on it:

J:\apps\Wii System Channels Updater

And nothing else. I take it I just need to insert it into the Wii and launch WiiSCU via the HBC? The WiiBrew link said to be careful around IOS60...?

Anyhow, I think it would be a good idea to do a NAND backup before I do this, since the last time I did one of those was the first time, many months ago. I'm not sure which version of BootMii I used --- how do I find out? If it was the third version, should I get the fourth version to use this time...?

I've even forgotten how to use BootMii to make a NAND backup... Would someone please remind me? I really appreciate you all helping me out, considering these time constraints.

11. giantpune

United States
    the way HBC works, in a nutshell,

get a ".dol" you want to run. put it in "sd:/apps/blablablablabla/boot.dol". the blablabla doesnt matter. but the dol must be called boot.dol. then put the SD card in the wii and start HBC. it will check in "sd:/apps/" for any folder containing a "boot.dol" and if found, it will display it. if that folder contains other files, thats fine. but then only thing that is needed in the boot.dol. if no files are found on the SD card, it will check the USB drive, but it does not check every partition, so you must play around a bit to find what works.

for the bootmii shit, there are like 5 guides in the stickies. im sure afew of these cover nand backing up.

12. Smash Br0
    OP

United States
    ^ Thanks for the explanation of how ".dol"s work.

Gah, I'm probably not going to have enough time to do another NAND backup. That first one I made should be fine... IIRC, it was made using BootMii Beta 2... Say, BootMii doesn't go in the apps folder, right?

The Wii System Channels Updater seems safe enough, so I'll just go ahead and install it.

Hmm, I remember reading something about Waninkoko's CIOS rev14 installer... Is that related to this Shop Channel endeavor in any way? I never got around to using that installer. (didn't that mess with SSBB somehow? I think it glitched/disabled some modes)

13. Jys072595

Newcomer Jys072595 Newbie

United States
    The BootMii folder goes in the root of the SD card, not the apps folder.

cIOS14 isn't related to the Shop Channel at all. And yes, it does mess with SSBB and the Metroid Prime Triology. Those two games are Double Layered disks. cIOS14 doesn't read the second layer correctly. You can't play SSE for Brawl, and I'm not sure for the Metroid Prime Trilogy. I suggest cIOS13b. That makes Double Layered disks work properly, but it doesn't fix the #001 Error (Certain games, when burned, give the #001 error if you don't bookmark type the CD type to CD-ROM). It's all a matter of which matters to you more.

14. Smash Br0
    OP

United States
    Okay, I made a new NAND backup and stored it on my PC, and then I ran the Wii System Channel Updater. I chose to install "IOS61-" and to update only the Shop Channel. It exited back to the HBC and asked if I wanted to proceed with the update, and I hit "Yes," but then I got the message "download failed."

What do I do now? I haven't touched it since then. Should I just try running WiiSCU again?

BTW, I'm watching this topic constantly for the next hour or two. If anyone comes along that would be willing to stick around or help me out via the chat room, that would be great. [​IMG]

Hmm, I think I'll try running it again.

15. Smash Br0
    OP

United States
    I just ran WiiSCU a second time, but it failed again. I think it got a little farther this time (up to 2/15)... Gah.

Do I just keep trying? Or is something wrong?

Well, I guess I'll just keep trying since no one is here.

16. Smash Br0
    OP

United States
    Third attempt: "http communication error," failed right away.

Fourth attempt: "http communication error," exited to HBC, prompted to update, agreed, update failed about 35% of the way through the progress bar.

GAH! Would someone help me? [​IMG]

17. Smash Br0
    OP

United States
    Another failure... "error making http request."

[​IMG]

18. giantpune

United States

19. Smash Br0
    OP

United States
    So, just keep trying then? Or should I use that link you posted, giantpune?

I don't know what DOP-IOS is... >_>

20. Smash Br0
    OP

United States
    Tried two more times, got "error making http request" both times.

Is this app triying to access the internet to download these updates? If so, it might be my slow connection that is causing the failures / timeouts.

Except for one time, it has always failed right after I confirmed which content to download or update.

[​IMG]