Please help, I got a new TV and it doesn't support NTSC

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Shinigami Kiba, Apr 16, 2008.

1. Shinigami Kiba
    OP

Member Shinigami Kiba GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of
    We had this really big Sony TV until now but that eventually broke so we had to get a new one.
    Since I use my monitor for my 360 and play all my 360 games in HD on that we decided we don't need a HD TV so my mom went out and bought a regular SD one for like 50 euros( around $70 I think)

Problem is, the damn TV doesn't support NTSC and this is a huge problem for me since most of my games are NTSC, I even had my Xbox set to NTSC with the Engima Video Mode changer.
    Everything NTSC is black and white, I called the store and they said that none of their TVs support NTSC I was like WTF.

I've never had a TV that doesn't support both PAL and NTSC before, even my aunts old shitty GoldStar(i think) TV supports PAL, NTSC US and Japan with no problems.

It seems the store won't take the TV back and return our money, the guy was nice enough to say that he'll help look for one that supports NTSC but if they don't find one we'll have to stick with this.
    This sucks BIG TIME, so please help me out, my PS2 still has life into it, I have quite a few games on it I haven't played or finished yet and they're all NTSC US and are all Black and White on this new TV.

This sucsk big time, hope someone can help me out.

The TV is some "FAVORIT" brand, never heard of this crap before, guess that's why it's so cheap.
    It's an SD Flat Screen TV.

2. TrolleyDave

Former Staff TrolleyDave Philosolosophising

United Kingdom
    Is there an option in the settings somewhere to set between PAL, NTSC and auto? I thought if a TV couldn't handle the NTSC at all the picture showed up all screwy?

3. Shinigami Kiba
    OP

nope, no option like that.
    There are only a couple options and none let you choose the system, you can only switch between two different Aspect Ratios 4:3 and 16:9 and that's it.

EDIT: The manual says that if you have an NTSC VCR or any NTSC system you should connect it through some Euroconnector thing, from what I understand that seems to be just a regular scart and I have plenty of those around the house, but even with a scart it's still black and white.

I never had to use no Euroconnectors before...dammit [​IMG]

4. TrolleyDave

United Kingdom
  5. Shinigami Kiba
    OP

AWESOME!
    Hope that works for me, if it converts the signal to PAL 60 then that's exactly what I need, I hate 50Hz and if this thing does end up solving my problem then awesome [​IMG]
    Now I have to see where I can find one of those.

I think I might be able to find one for the PS2, but I'll need one for my Xbox and I think the Wii too.

Is there like a universal device that does all this?

This really is awesome though, if I can find one it'd be fantastic for at least my PS2 games.

6. coolbho3000

Member coolbho3000 GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic

That sucks. [​IMG]

The store doesn't have a return policy at all?

7. Shinigami Kiba
    OP

This is Macedonia, dude, stores here try to screw you over instead of offer good services.
    I mean you can return the TV and exchange it for another or something, but I think you can't return it and have them give you your money back.

8. TrolleyDave

United Kingdom
    As long as your tv lead has phono plugs on the end of it then it'll work in one of these devices. You might be able to find out one that has scart inputs but don't quote me on it! The way it works is you plug the consoles output leads into the box and then plug the box into the TV. Play-Asia sell a really good model that's pretty cheap here http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-11z-49-en-70-1au.html and they say it'll work with any console.

9. Shinigami Kiba
    OP

that's great, thanks a lot dude.
    I wonder if Play-asia ships to my shitty country, but if they don't I'll figure something out.
    Although one of the comments is pretty concerning, the guy says it won't covert his NTSC Wii signal to PAL, hope this doesn't mean I won't be able to play my US Brawl at 60Hz or in color on this TV.

I think I'll get this if they don't find me a TV that supports NTSC, weird that in this day and age they are selling and making PAL only TVs like this.

10. TrolleyDave

United Kingdom
    I never noticed that bit about the Wii. I'll see if I can track a few more down for you. It is definitely wierd that the TV doesn't support NTSC, it's been pretty standard for 5-10 years now. Still, it could be alot worse - the TV might have only done PAL-50 as well! lol