Hacking Please Help Clarify Some Things...

NDSPhr34k

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I started with a Wii using System Menu 3.3U some months ago.

I wanted to be on System Menu 3.2U (for the obvious reasons) so I ran IOS Downgrader & cIOS Downgrader in that order.

I then installed StarFall to block disc updates, etc.

Recently, I upgraded to Waninkoko's cIOS38-Rev13b.

I then installed Hermes cIOS because I read from the mplayer-ce wiki that it was needed for USB 2.0 support.

I now want to get the benefits of System Menu 4.0 whilst staying at System Menu 3.2 but I do not know how to achieve this properly. I read on WiiBrew of a new application called WiiSCU. Is this what I need to get the updates but stay at System Menu 3.2?

Another question I have is if I want to install BootMii, should I uninstall StarFall first? Should I install BootMii AFTER all of the 4.0 updates or prior?

And finally, I read here on the forums that Waninkoko's cIOS38-Rev13b has USB 2.0 support built-in? So did installing Hermes cIOS serve no purpose or does it handle USB support differently? Will there be conflicts from having both cIOSes installed? If so, can I rid of Hermes cIOS w/ AnyTitleDeleter?

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You COULD upgrade to 4.0 while keeping any benefits you had with 3.2. All you wouldn't be able to do anymore is use starfall, which is replaced and done better by startpatch or preloader.

That being said install bootmii ASAP. It will conflict with nothing as nothing else comes close to touching boot2(if your Wii is old enough to install to boot2). So do that and use it to make a nand backup.

Once you do that you can uninstall starfall, upgrade to 4.0 using the ULTIMATE 4.0 system menu guide floating around the first page or so here and you should be set with everything you need.

WiiSCU will basically just installs like IOS61 for the shop channel and other updated channels and what not I think. It won't give you the SD card menu. You can only get that by upgrading to 4.0, and if you do that upgrade as the guide says you won't lose any functionality at all.

Also yes Waninkoko's cIOS should have usb 2.0 support built in, but leaving Hermes' there shouldn't hurt anything. They're installed to different IOS's (Waninkoko's to IOS249 and Hermes' to either IOS222 or 223) And some loaders even allow you to choose which IOS to use so you can use Hermes' for loading some things and Waninkoko's for others.

NDSPhr34k

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well you make System Menu 4.0 sound not too shabby!

So if I upgrade to the 4.0 System Menu will all my channels be updated too? Or will I need to run WiiSCU afterwards to get them all updated / patched as well?

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Waninkoko's updater should take care of updating channels like the shop and mii channel at least. I Don't remember what else it would update or what else you would really care about updating, but just run the 4.0 updater app from the guide and see what channels it downloads/installs while its doing it, and if there are anymore that you want updated that it doesn't do that WiiSCU does then go for it.

NDSPhr34k

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was running the 4.0 Update from Waninkoko and all was going well, then it failed on installing IOS60 I believe. Some error -1120 or something similar to that I don't remember it exactly.

Now my HBC will not run whatsoever. I click on it to start and all I get is a black screen. Help!

NDSPhr34k

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I used Bannerbomb to load IOS Downgrader, and nothing happened. It returned me to Wii System Menu.

I used Bannerbomb again to load cIOS Downgrader, and it downloaded just IOS30 and returned me to System Menu.

Then I tried to run Firmware Updater 4.0 by Waninkoko using Bannerbomb. It worked until the following this time: "Installing "Shopping Channel", please wait...
>> Installing content #58... ERROR! (ret = -1010)

Any ideas?

NDSPhr34k

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well... turned out to be an internet issue. I re-ran Firmware Updater 4.0 three times and it finally completed the install. I'm on 4.0 System Menu and now HBC loads correctly.

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Instead of going through all the trouble with using bannerbomb to run everything again you could have just run the hackmii installer through bannerbomb and just reinstalled the HBC

NDSPhr34k

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nabster92 said:
Instead of going through all the trouble with using bannerbomb to run everything again you could have just run the hackmii installer through bannerbomb and just reinstalled the HBC

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, lol +1