Hacking Please help bring me up to date / speed (Wiikey)

gmanls20

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hi all,

I've got a Wii with a WiiKey that I've not used in well over a year now so I'm totally out of date with what's what. Can anyone summarise what I need to do "safely" (if anything) to bring it all up to date without bricking it as the firmware of the Wii itself must surely be out of date.

I also recall RegionFrii and Brickblocker were tools that used to be used, are they still the ones to use?

TIA

gmanls20

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Sure I get ya, but I don't really want/need to go down the route of softmodding if I'm already hard modded do I? Its just extra work. All I need to know really I guess is what is the safest way to update my Wii system software without bricking my Wii?

As I'm sure I'll need whatever the latest update is.

leondmsmith

Trophies
XP
Country
You dont say what system menu you are on however i believe system menu 4.2 latest 1 can disable certain modchips and also block out of region games from being played therough a modchip.

It is still worth softmodding so you can install preloader to prevent disc updates from showing up on new games, also then you can install any required IOS for newer games easily as well.

ZXZeros guide should (BIG SHOULD - i did it on a colleaques and it still worked!) be able to take you safely up to 4.2 and still use your Wiikey, also backing up everything etc for brick prevention in future.

gmanls20

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Right thanks.

It sounds like its worthwhile me having a proper read up then as things have moved on quite a bit. I'll look at softmodding up to the latest version if that is the safest way of doing things

Thanks both
wink.gif

monkeydjeffy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i've got a wii hard mod with wiikey...

but now that softmod comes to the wii scene, its much better...

softmodding is great... especially when u have usb hdd to play games...

gmanls20

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thanks yeah I think in the long run its going to be worth me doing it, I'll dig the Wii out the cupboard over xmas I think and have a go
smile.gif

Looks like I just ignore the fact I've got a Wiikey and just run through the guide as normal based on a pre 4.2 system update

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?