Please help bring me up to date / speed (Wiikey)

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by gmanls20, Dec 16, 2009.

1. gmanls20
    OP

Newcomer gmanls20 Member

United Kingdom
    Hi all,

I've got a Wii with a WiiKey that I've not used in well over a year now so I'm totally out of date with what's what. Can anyone summarise what I need to do "safely" (if anything) to bring it all up to date without bricking it as the firmware of the Wii itself must surely be out of date.

I also recall RegionFrii and Brickblocker were tools that used to be used, are they still the ones to use?

TIA

2. razorback78

Member razorback78 GBAtemp Maniac

Philippines
  3. gmanls20
    OP

Newcomer gmanls20 Member

United Kingdom
    Thanks that's a great guide but it doesn't cover Wiikey's does it, not that I can see anyway?

4. razorback78

Member razorback78 GBAtemp Maniac

Philippines
    it really doesn't matter even if your wii is hard modded. you could softmod it as well.

5. gmanls20
    OP

Newcomer gmanls20 Member

United Kingdom
    Sure I get ya, but I don't really want/need to go down the route of softmodding if I'm already hard modded do I? Its just extra work. All I need to know really I guess is what is the safest way to update my Wii system software without bricking my Wii?

As I'm sure I'll need whatever the latest update is.

6. leondmsmith

Member leondmsmith GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    You dont say what system menu you are on however i believe system menu 4.2 latest 1 can disable certain modchips and also block out of region games from being played therough a modchip.

It is still worth softmodding so you can install preloader to prevent disc updates from showing up on new games, also then you can install any required IOS for newer games easily as well.

ZXZeros guide should (BIG SHOULD - i did it on a colleaques and it still worked!) be able to take you safely up to 4.2 and still use your Wiikey, also backing up everything etc for brick prevention in future.

7. gmanls20
    OP

Newcomer gmanls20 Member

United Kingdom
    Right thanks.

It sounds like its worthwhile me having a proper read up then as things have moved on quite a bit. I'll look at softmodding up to the latest version if that is the safest way of doing things

Thanks both [​IMG]

8. monkeydjeffy

Newcomer monkeydjeffy Newbie

Australia
    i've got a wii hard mod with wiikey...

but now that softmod comes to the wii scene, its much better...

softmodding is great... especially when u have usb hdd to play games...

9. gmanls20
    OP

Newcomer gmanls20 Member

United Kingdom
    Thanks yeah I think in the long run its going to be worth me doing it, I'll dig the Wii out the cupboard over xmas I think and have a go [​IMG]

Looks like I just ignore the fact I've got a Wiikey and just run through the guide as normal based on a pre 4.2 system update

10. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    Yea, I have a mod chip also, but I rarely use it these days. Instead I much prefer having all my games on a usb hdd. [​IMG]

11. gmanls20
    OP

Newcomer gmanls20 Member

United Kingdom
    Well when I last used my Wii USB HDD wasn't an option it was all burning to disc so.. that is another advantage and might mean I use it more