Gaming Please help a new Wii modder

leavemealone347

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I am about to go back to school and my roommate has a Wii. He wants it modded so that he can run a USB Loader. I just have a few simple questions.

I am thinking about a My Book Passport 320GB it seems that this drive is the best with no compatibility problems ever. Is this true or is there one I can get to save money. My Wallmart sells the Passport for $60, I can't imagine a much better deal. Though I wouldn't mind spending a bit more for more GB.

Is USB LoaderGX still the best? It was when I last read about it.

If you update your modded Wii through a disc it will brick your Wii. Is there some sort of protection like will USB Loader rip the update portion out of the game so you are never even prompted? (It seems that WBFS Manager 3.0 will remove the update partition with by keeping only the game partition. Does this work all the time?)

If you don't update will you not be able to play the latest games (like it is with the PSP)?

If there is a new firmware how easy is it to upgrade to the latest custom firmware, like the PSP is it as easy as running a program? (I read up on this and figured it out)

Could anyone give me a quick rundown on what these cIOS or IOS's are? I am confused by all of the different versions I am reading about. (I read up on this and figured it out)

And if you have any other tips/tricks I would love to hear them and would really really appreciate it!

Thanks much!

EDIT: I read many of the guides on this site and some of my questions were answered, if people could help me with my others I would be grateful.

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
leavemealone347 said:
So I am about to go back to school and my roommate has a Wii. He wants it modded so that he can run a USB Loader. I just have a few simple questions.

I am thinking about a My Book Passport 320GB it seems that this drive is the best with no compatibility problems ever. Is this true or is there one I can get to save money. My Wallmart sells the Passport for $60, I can't imagine a much better deal. Though I wouldn't mind spending a bit more for more GB.
No idea, but depends on what you want

Is USB LoaderGX still the best? It was when I last read about it.
GX is one of the best (together with Wiiflow and Configurable USB loader)

If you update your modded Wii through a disc it will brick your Wii. Is there some sort of protection like will USB Loader rip the update portion out of the game so you are never even prompted? (It seems that WBFS Manager 3.0 will remove the update partition with by keeping only the game partition. Does this work all the time?)
USB loaders always skip/remove updates

If you don't update will you not be able to play the latest games (like it is with the PSP)?
ALWAYS through backup launcher (usb loader). For originals, there are ways to make em work.

If there is a new firmware how easy is it to upgrade to the latest custom firmware, like the PSP is it as easy as running a program? (I read up on this and figured it out)
Shouldn't be too hard if you already have homebrew

Could anyone give me a quick rundown on what these cIOS or IOS's are? I am confused by all of the different versions I am reading about. (I read up on this and figured it out)
IOS are drivers of the wii (like Operating Systems). cIOS are custom versions of these to run homebrew with

And if you have any other tips/tricks I would love to hear them and would really really appreciate it!
Read http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=178862 and http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=179085
They will get you started and link to other guides

Thanks much!

EDIT: I read many of the guides on this site and some of my questions were answered, if people could help me with my others I would be grateful.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @AncientBoi, don't worry atleast that video is a parody +1