Please explain the M3 Simply to R4 thingy

Discussion in 'M3 Adapter' started by Azadar, Jul 30, 2007.

Jul 30, 2007
  1. Azadar
    OP

Member Azadar GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Maybe i do not understand correctly, but I own an M3 Simply I use the most current firmware and software release V1.06 which is over a month old now, and I read somewhere people are converting there M3 to an R4 or something as the compatibility is better with more developer fixes etc? If this is true is the M3 being fazed out?

Is there a tutorial to do this, and what benefits do we get?

Thanks in Advance

2. Shelleeson

Member Shelleeson GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    the benefit is that you get your firmware a few days earlier with the r4, that's it. [​IMG]

3. Azadar
    OP

Member Azadar GBAtemp Regular

United States
    is that the only difference? There is no other benefit? are they fazing out the M3 Simply in favor of the R4?

I wondering if I should convert mine?

4. r3l4x

Newcomer r3l4x Member

Belgium
    You don't really need to modify anything to the card just convert the firmware so the m3 simply can use it.
    It's not really that hard, in the new R4 firmware toppic the link to the patcher is posted. You just download the
    firmware for R4 and follow the instructions in the readme file that is included with the patcher and you should be fine.
    I just did it myself and it's easy and quick.

And hell,... it beats waiting 3 to 4 days for the M3 team to do just the same thing.

5. Nintendo Maniac

Member Nintendo Maniac GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Wait... if there isn't a difference between the two, then why do both of them exist in the first place? :wtf: To make more money? [​IMG]

6. cheeo

Newcomer cheeo Advanced Member

United States
    No M3 had no slot-1 card when Supercard & R4 were coming out with there’s. So M3 decided to lease the R4 teams hardware & M3 just stamps M3 on it. Changes the software a bit & charges $5 to $10 more, & people bought it because M3 was a known name. But now that everyone knows that R4 makes them both & comes out with the updates a couple days early while M3 makes their changes. Everyone just gets the R4, why pay more for the M3 & have to wait for updates.

7. Sinkhead

Former Staff Sinkhead yay p1ngpong.

United Kingdom
    There is a way of permenantly changing the M3 into an R4, it involves opening up the cart and putting a blob of solder across two contacts. But it only works with older carts.

- Sam