ROM Hack Please, cheat makers, stop using the L and R buttons.

Wolvenreign

Transhuman Satanist Furry Technocrat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, it's a commonly known problem that the DS Phat and Lite's L and R buttons don't really work after a year or so. This is the case for me and all of my DS-using friends.

While I understand that L and R button combinations are the most rarely used, they are far overused when it comes to cheats on DS, making the majority of them (the useful ones which trigger otherwise inaccessible events) unusable on many, many DS's. I hope in the future (or what remains of it), those who make cheats will assign them to more durable buttons, like a combination of face buttons which are rarely used.

Thanks for reading, and I'm not trying to come off as complaining. It's just that I can't use 3/4 of the cheats I would normally use thanks to irreparable L and R buttons, and it's kind of a common problem with the DS.

Wolvenreign

Transhuman Satanist Furry Technocrat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Isaac_GS said:
We have a cheat forum, you'll get your message out to more cheat makers by putting it there.

cheats.gbatemp.net/forum/

Thanks, I'll do that.

And yeah, it's a little late, but perhaps a point of contention nonetheless. Who knows, maybe the 3DS's shoulder buttons are equally flimsy? Well, that can't be proven yet or anything.

Oveneise

Trophies
Website
ACAdapterquotes.webs.com
XP
Country
United States
I just dont get it. All of my friends have DS lites and this always happens to them, but I have both a DS phat and Lite and never have the L or R buttons become unusable. Kind of late to complain, though.

Tears of Insanit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've had my DS Lite for... well, at least 2-3 years now. The L&R buttons are definitely starting to die out; mostly my L button. Or, not so much die out as it was irresponsive.

I'd have to press especially hard for the L button. More recently though, my L button is completely fine. After playing a game which used the L button rather extensively (compared to most games), and pressing it so many times (and blowing into it >.>), it started responding more easily. Now it's just as fine as my R button.

It's just a suggestion, but maybe you should try this too? Pressing it often/blowing into it, putting it into use. Though it worked for me, it might not work for you. Still, I say it's worth a shot.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Wolvenreign said:
Well, it's a commonly known problem that the DS Phat and Lite's L and R buttons don't really work after a year or so. This is the case for me and all of my DS-using friends.
I seriously have to wonder what some people do with their DS' to get the buttons so horrible.

Do you eat peanut butter with your fingers while playing or something?

D

Deleted-273695

If your using a flashcart then you can easily change it using r4cce and you can select the combination of buttons to press to start the cheat.
Also like 5 year running ds phat awesome l and r buttons.

Fear Zoa

Still Alive
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
twiztidsinz said:
Wolvenreign said:
I seriously have to wonder what some people do with their DS' to get the buttons so horrible.

Honestly I think its just bad design and some people get lucky.....Nintendo's handhelds are designed to be more durable since they are largely used by children....
Yet mine has no scratches or anything and is always in a case....yet my r button is .....well its shit....

Uncle FEFL

OBJECTION!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
twiztidsinz said:
Wolvenreign said:

My DSi was kept, and is still being kept, extremely clean.

For the first three months of me owning it, I put it in its original packaging every night, then I got a case. I cleaned the case every day, then about a month after that I got that silver DSLite case offered on Club Nintendo (snug fit for the DSi), and kept it there for a while. Then I switched to a metal casing, and reverted back to the old case when I was done playing. Even after all that pampering --which was to ensure that my shoulder buttons didn't mess up, mind you-- my DSi's shoulder buttons still became unresponsive. It was about six months before my extended warranty went out, so I sent it to Nintendo, and they "replaced" it. I did all of the safe tricks before I sent it in, too.

Basically, after that ordeal, I faced the fact that Nintendo is fucking HORRIBLE at making DS shoulder buttons. And hinges for that matter, since I've heard of problems from all of the DSs except the DSiXL (in my opinion the DSi's is a little wobbly).

Ziko

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ihackedit said:
If your using a flashcart then you can easily change it using r4cce and you can select the combination of buttons to press to start the cheat.
Also like 5 year running ds phat awesome l and r buttons.

How do I do that? I'm using the official editor not that one. I need to know now.

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
twiztidsinz said:
Wolvenreign said:

Dunno my DS Lite is totally fine. It has a fracture on one of the hinges but the hinging mechanism still works like a charm. Then again I don't play tons of Mario Kart so the LR buttons don't get much usage. Just RPGs and adventure games mostly.

Fear Zoa

Still Alive
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
doyama said:
twiztidsinz said:
Wolvenreign said:

Dunno my DS Lite is totally fine. It has a fracture on one of the hinges but the hinging mechanism still works like a charm. Then again I don't play tons of Mario Kart so the LR buttons don't get much usage. Just RPGs and adventure games mostly.
You know.....seeing you say that makes me realize that Meteos probably killed my R shoulder button
glare.gif

D

Deleted-273695

when you open r4cce and click on a cheat it will have a bunch of check boxes with all the nds buttons and you can select whatever you want.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ShinRyouma said:
If your LR buttons have problems, all you need to do is change the rubber pads.

On my DSL, I have opened a few so far... yet to see any rubber pads...

I have replacement buttons, but they are SO DAMN TINY. Don't want to risk borking the ds... not too bad at soldering, but I am nowhere's near considering myself a pro..

ShinRyouma

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
plasma dragon007 said:
ShinRyouma said:
If your LR buttons have problems, all you need to do is change the rubber pads.

On my DSL, I have opened a few so far... yet to see any rubber pads...

I have replacement buttons, but they are SO DAMN TINY. Don't want to risk borking the ds... not too bad at soldering, but I am nowhere's near considering myself a pro..
Don't change the rubber pads yourself if you aren't confident, take your NDS to the local game shop and have it fixed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: