Please beware of buying used cartridges!

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories & Hardware' started by Missingphy, Jul 2, 2019.

1. Missingphy
    OP

Missingphy Pokémon Master, Console Bricker, and more...

Oct 7, 2018
    Mexico
    Now that people have explained this situation, I admit my mistake. I will now wait for this thread to be closed. Sorry for the fake news!

Last edited by Missingphy, Jul 5, 2019
  2. Lucifer666

Lucifer666 all the world needs is me

Apr 22, 2011
    United Kingdom
    The Fourth Dimension
    Dude if I let my friend borrow my copy of Smash he's not gonna get banned wtf

MeAndHax likes this.
  3. Missingphy
    OP

Oct 7, 2018
    Mexico
    Yes

4. Lucifer666

Lucifer666 all the world needs is me

Apr 22, 2011
    United Kingdom
    The Fourth Dimension
    Nah this would be a huge scandal.

most likely the seller dumped his ROM and several consoles went online at the same time with the same ROM header thus getting the game banned

Zeryac, Memoir, MeAndHax and 4 others like this.
  5. Edgarska

Edgarska Conjurer of cheap tricks

Oct 24, 2011
    United States
    Do you have any evidence of this actually happening? Because I never had a problem with used 360 games, and I haven't heard of anyone getting banned for used Switch games.

Last edited by Edgarska, Jul 2, 2019
    MeAndHax likes this.
  6. guicrith

guicrith Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 29, 2013
    United States
    Well...
    If 2 copys with the same ID are online at once you know the game has been pirated.
    So that wont cause any false positives.
    Can also test if the game has been played on > 1000 consoles, because no one has 1000 switches or friends with switches.

7. Missingphy
    OP

Oct 7, 2018
    Mexico

8. Daggot

Daggot GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 3, 2015
    United States
    Maybe someone bought the game, backed it up with CFW and sold the game? If that user was using SXOS and dumped it to XCI and then proceeded to play online at the same time as your friend then I'd assume that would set off some red flags as switch games all have unique certs IIRC. This is assuming he was banned from Smash and this isn't a console ban.

9. Missingphy
    OP

Oct 7, 2018
    Mexico
    First of all, I’m sorry, but I fontanero understand the switch hacking language because I have never hacked a Nintendo Switch, and I won’t until the next system shows up and Nintendo forgets about the switch. It sometimes happens and sometimes not, it is not 100% for sure that Nintendo will ban you for a used game, but there is still a chance that they will

10. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    *resists urge to edit in "because someone may have licked it"*

Anyway going to have to wait for more reports to roll in here, or get a better understanding of what happened. Nintendo actually seem to be vaguely competent this time around so I imagine they will have planned for this sort of thing.

I also am going to need something on that 360 stuff -- those few games that did come with online passes or DLC download codes I would have expected the "this code has already been used, feel free to buy from our store though" to happen for those. Not sure what went for profile cloning (became far more viable after USB support was added) but I am mainly expecting the "? has signed in elsewhere" or normal anti hacking measures. To my knowledge we never saw bans for anything other than bad conduct, DVD modding, KK/JTAG/RGH, profile modding and knowingly joining hacked lobbies, not even sure anybody got pinged for turn small DLC into the save format trick.

VinsCool likes this.
  11. DKAngel

DKAngel GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 5, 2009
    Perth,Australia
    you dont get banned for used games , simple as that main because where i am there is a tonne of second hand games for sale, ban would be from console being modded or the cartdridge being dumped and someone also using a copy, not for it being second hand

x65943 likes this.
  12. coffinbirth

coffinbirth GBAtemp Regular

Jun 15, 2009
    United States
    "Back in the time when the Xbox One came to the market, Microsoft implemented an anti-piracy measure that consists on adding a unique code into the game disc, which prevents you to play used games on your console, but back then in the Xbox 360 times, the system was a little bit different:

If you inserted a brand new game into one console, and went online, the code would get registered in the Microsoft database, and to actually ban people, if Microsoft caught you with that same code on another console, you would get banned. So it is exactly the same strategy on the Nintendo Switch, but you can actually play those games, and they can get you banned, so now you know why if you go online you get banned"

100% BULLSHIT

Memoir likes this.
  13. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Legend

May 11, 2008
    United States
    While I suppose what was described by the OP is possible, it's far more likely that the Switch had been messed with in some way, and the owner is mistaken or lying.

Edit: People who are banned online often get indignant and claim they didn't do anything when they didn't know the risks of doing what they did. You saw a lot of "I'm banned but didn't do anything" posts around the internet after the Pokemon Sun/Moon banwave.

Last edited by Lacius, Jul 3, 2019
    x65943 likes this.
  14. Whole lotta love

Whole lotta love GBAtemp Regular

Jan 7, 2006
    United States
    Hasn't it been confirmed that Nintendo bans certs associated with modding?

If so, someone could buy a copy of a game, rip it, return it to Gamestop, and play it online with SX OS while another console is playing it. I don't think Nintendo would be able to tell which was the legit copy or not.

I know I've never been banned from playing my ripped XCI's online with SX OS for about a year now.

15. Undwiz

Undwiz GBAtemp Regular

Mar 25, 2019
    United States
    Every cart I have is used including a copy of SSBU... no bans for my legit console

16. nine0nine

nine0nine Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 21, 2006
    Albania
    nonsense. In other words using the a game in more than one console = ban.

17. CrisFTW

CrisFTW GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 10, 2016
    United States
    This is fake news. Why isn't this thread locked yet?

Lucifer666 and Josshy0125 like this.
  18. qqq1

qqq1 GBAtemp Regular

GBAtemp Patron
    qqq1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    I bought some used GBA carts and now I'm afraid I'll get banned :(

leafeon34 and wiewiec like this.
  19. unvaluablespace

unvaluablespace GBAtemp Regular

Aug 3, 2014
    United States
    About a year ago, SciresM posted on Twitter that Nintendo supposedly has the ability to ban individual gamecart certs. I wonder if this is what OP's friend experienced?

Daggot and leafeon34 like this.
  20. leafeon34

leafeon34 Expecto Patronum!

Sep 30, 2014
    United Kingdom
    AzkaBANNED.
    Sometimes used games you buy will have banned certificates, hence you can't play the game online. This happens if Nintendo detects something dodgy, like multiple people playing online with the same certificate.

This is the first time I've heard of someone getting a console ban after playing a used game. Nintendo might have detected OP's friend using a lag Switch, buying a Nintendo account, or some other shady thing that OP is not aware of.

There is always the possibility of a problem on Nintendo's side, like a glitch in their servers or a rogue employee banning people for kicks.

For the time being, OP's anecdote is not a cause for concern. When and if multiple people start telling similar stories, then you should avoid playing used games.

Last edited by leafeon34, Jul 3, 2019
    unvaluablespace likes this.
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted