Gaming Please advice a decent game... Definitely not Mario!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scorp

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Kazakhstan
I might come off as rude, but... why do you even play games at all? You don't seem to want to play ANYTHING.

You just did not read through the topic... I mentioned there the games I played and which I liked. Yes, I play games, of course. If I was not playing games, why I would buy all these consoles I have (PS2, Xbox360, PSP, DSi, 3DS).

Scorp, from what I am understanding, I'd like that games that you want and they would make me pick up the 3ds much more often. Unfortunately for you, there just isn't anything else than what's been mentioned.
Frankly, if I'm understanding your tastes well, you should just investigate PC games and leave the consoles alone.
OTOH, you seem to dismiss whole genres/series because you don't like one game. Maybe that's just my interpretation.

In an effort to recommend a game, I'd say Retro City Rampage and Lego city, but I have a felling those wouldn't quite hit your itch.
Some genres are not for me. Means, I played a lot of arcade when I was young, and now they just do not catch me... Racing, fighting games never hook me, even when I was young. So whole genres skipped not because I played 1 game and decided to close whole genre, there were many tries, do not think that I do fast decisions :)

I will note your suggestion, but yes, from first sight they do not look as "the one" :)

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This thread reminds me of what I call "The Sippy Cup Game". You know, toddler in a highchair drops his sippy cup on the floor and mom/dad picks it up for him/her. This immediately turns into an entertaining experiment of how many times will my parent pick this cup up for me as the child drops the cup over and over until the parent picks it up for the last time and sets it on a counter out of the kid's reach. Most kids at this point start to cry...

Only instead of picking up cups we're supposed to name games so Scorp can see how many he can say no to before we give up. You are a twisted twisted man.

Scorp

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Kazakhstan
No, I'm pretty sure I read it. You did not specifically mention what you liked, you dismissed everything. And for the last question, you really don't want me to answer that.
Then seems you missed that... Was at least 2 messages (maybe more) where I told about games I liked on DS and on PSP:

http://gbatemp.net/threads/please-advice-a-decent-game-definitely-not-mario.380672/#post-5322368
http://gbatemp.net/threads/please-a...finitely-not-mario.380672/page-2#post-5323924

I can extend and tell about games I like on other consoles, if you think this will help.

Try Visual Novels, those seem to be what you're looking for. Good stories, plot twists, next to no actual gameplay and they should be short enough to keep your attention span.
Sure, lets try VN. You can give me some examples of decent novels on 3ds (except mentioned in first post Virtue's Last Reward and Ace Attorney)? In english, of course. Btw, I also tried Starship Domrey and Hakuoki.

Only instead of picking up cups we're supposed to name games so Scorp can see how many he can say no to before we give up. You are a twisted twisted man.
It is all your imagination.

Reactions: Thomas12345

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Then seems you missed that... Was at least 2 messages (maybe more) where I told about games I liked on DS and on PSP:

http://gbatemp.net/threads/please-advice-a-decent-game-definitely-not-mario.380672/#post-5322368
http://gbatemp.net/threads/please-a...finitely-not-mario.380672/page-2#post-5323924

I can extend and tell about games I like on other consoles, if you think this will help.
Get Ghost Trick for the DS. It's a really heavily story based game with neat unique puzzle elements.
Other than that though, I really don't know. As the person above said, you're probably best off just grabbing a whole bunch of visual novels for the PC (as that is the main platform for those). If you do, I'd recommend at least checking out Ever17 (same writer as VLR and 999 IIRC) and Steins;Gate.

Reactions: RodrigoDavy

CraddaPoosta

Sepatown, my damie.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try Visual Novels, those seem to be what you're looking for. Good stories, plot twists, next to no actual gameplay and they should be short enough to keep your attention span.

Actually, that's a great suggestion.

I would add the Lone Wolf series of gamebooks. Easily the best of the best. They are all available completely for free at ProjectAon.org, and have free distribution rights granted by the author Joe Dever, himself.

They are all web-based, and have the most intuitive set-up I've seen outside of Choice of Games games for iOS and Android. Some of the books are available on Android (1-12), some are available for the Nintendo DS (1-5), and all are available on the 3DS web browser.

In the forums there, there are also software aids like statskeepers and programs for the Action Chart, etc.

Great, great series of books for anyone who likes Fighting Fantasy/Dungeons and Dragons-ish stories. Lone Wolf is basically a psionic ranger whose progress carries over to each successive book in the series, and there are 28 of them published and available on that site.

Reactions: VinsCool

ShinyLatios

Not Quite There Yet
Trophies
Website
www.eonaegis.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well obviously that will help people to help you. People here have nothing to go on, really. I don't get why you didn't do this from the start?

As for a suggestion, it's been said before and I'm going to go say it again. Go play some monster hunter. I struggle to think of any other 3DS game that even gets close to suiting your impossible terms.

Scorp

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Kazakhstan
Get Ghost Trick for the DS. It's a really heavily story based game with neat unique puzzle elements.
Other than that though, I really don't know. As the person above said, you're probably best off just grabbing a whole bunch of visual novels for the PC (as that is the main platform for those). If you do, I'd recommend at least checking out Ever17 (same writer as VLR and 999 IIRC) and Steins;Gate.
Unfortunately I already played Ghost Trick :( And yes, it have nice story, but that "puzzles" sometimes just was too much. Ever17 I already mentioned here and I believe even gauged interest about translation PSP version (almost no one interested), and also played that. I do not want to play VN on PC, because I just do not have enough force in my spine to sit straight near PC for 50 hours :)

I would add the Lone Wolf series of gamebooks. Easily the best of the best. They are all available completely for free at ProjectAon.org, and have free distribution rights granted by the author Joe Dever, himself.
Yes, I believe there was even a homebrew version of one of the Lone Wolf books, and I actually enjoyed it. But, in this case it is too few interaction, as it is really a book, not a game. These things were good when were no games, now they do not hook the way as in childhood.

Well obviously that will help people to help you. People here have nothing to go on, really. I don't get why you didn't do this from the start?

As for a suggestion, it's been said before and I'm going to go say it again. Go play some monster hunter. I struggle to think of any other 3DS game that even gets close to suiting your impossible terms.
Well, I thought that giving examples for handheld consoles is enough? Okay, will give for other consoles...
PS2: Valkyrie Profile 2, Shadow Hearts: Covenant
Xbox360: Batman, Dishonored, Portal 2, Mass Effect

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Unfortunately I already played Ghost Trick :( And yes, it have nice story, but that "puzzles" sometimes just was too much. Ever17 I already mentioned here and I believe even gauged interest about translation PSP version (almost no one interested), and also played that. I do not want to play VN on PC, because I just do not have enough force in my spine to sit straight near PC for 50 hours :)

Yes, I believe there was even a homebrew version of one of the Lone Wolf books, and I actually enjoyed it. But, in this case it is too few interaction, as it is really a book, not a game. These things were good when were no games, now they do not hook the way as in childhood.

Well, I thought that giving examples for handheld consoles is enough? Okay, will give for other consoles...
PS2: Valkyrie Profile 2, Shadow Hearts: Covenant
Xbox360: Batman, Dishonored, Portal 2, Mass Effect
I kind of see where you're coming from (reading from a PC screen isn't exactly my favorite thing either), but almost all of these games are simply only on the PC, and these are some of the only types of games that fit your criteria. I think there's gonna be a PS3/PS Vita port of Steins;Gate soon, but I'd assume the PS3 has much the same issue of being a hassle to play and not many people have a Vita.

TJHeartnote

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
why not the phoenix wright series of games if it's storyline you're seeking. not to mention the SMT and persona series games. not to mention resident evil and metal gear.

Scorp

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Kazakhstan
Not phoenix - I replied on previous page - because I played 3 of them on DS and got a bit too much of Phoenix right now. If speaking in terms of search - yes, it is correct game. Why not SMT (to which Persona belong) I also replied some pages ago... For MGS told that too... Resident have a good story? I only played 1-3 on PSX and story was quite mediocre. Anyway, you're second person who tell about Resident on 3ds, so seems would check that too, thx :wink:

Acidflare

HomeBrew Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't have a 3DS but I did do a bit of searching
You mentioned Braverly default well there's a sequel on the way http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/02/new_trailer_for_3ds_rpg_bravely_second_launches_in_japan
you mentioned shooters well this game seems pretty fun it's a jet fighter plane game that uses amiibo's http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...mbat_assault_horizon_legacyplus_amiibo_planes
If you play Xenoblade Chronicles on the Wii then you'll like this 3DS port http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...es_exclusively_on_new_nintendo_3ds_this_april

Nintendolife.com seems to be your best place for information
there was a post back in 2012 on nintendolife.com about the tenchu developer is working a new 3DS RPG title called "Class of heroes 3Dx3D" a google search for the title gives an IGN.com page that still has TBA for the release date
Hope this helps out

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It's not 3DS, but maybe Valkyria Chronicles? It has quite a bit of gameplay (turn based strategy where you walk units around in 3D), but there's also rather long cutscenes between each battle and the story is pretty good.

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I think that in order to enjoy new games you should open your mind a bit. From your first post, you seem like you're not even sure of what you want yourself...

Personally, I think you should give Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies a try... The game is different enough from the DS ones that you probably won't get stuck at any part in the game, the dialogues are hilarious and the story is full of surprises.

Scorp

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Kazakhstan
Valkyria I played on PSP, yes, quite okay. If you know something for 3ds please suggest.

Bravely Default is just suggested by ppl in this thread, I did not played it yet and cannot tell, if it goes ok. I did not mentioned shooters as they game I like, where you saw that? I do not have Wii and I never played Xenoblade, where you take all this?

I am pretty sure whatI do not want. If I would know the name of the game I need, I would already be playing it. So in this case - yes, of course i do not know what I want, this why I opened the thread to find a game I would like.

Ace Attorney... I played a lot on DS recently and by now got too much of Ace Attorney. I would definitely check it later, but I already know about Dual Destinies and it is the case why no need to suggest it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr