Gaming Please advice a decent game... Definitely not Mario!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scorp

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Kazakhstan
I'm in my 40's. I've played video games since the 1970's. From Atari VCS and classic coin-ops all the way through to the current gen hardware. Even though I'm a 'mature' gamer, I still enjoy Pokemon, Mario, and Zelda...
If I limited my playing habits similarly to you I would have missed out on some of the best games I've ever played, and would probably have given up on video games at the turn of the millennium.
I hope you understand, that everyone have his own preferables. Lets say, for example, I I in a mood to see a thriller mind-breaking movie with unexpected plot twists, I ask to suggest me movie of said genre with the plot twists etc. on some movie forum and then SUDDENLY everyone start telling "go see American Pie, it's great opportunity, I do not understand people, who limit themselves just to a few genre!". You think I should tell "thank you very much" and never mention, that I do not want that stupid comedy, no matter how great it is and how extremely superb are characters, I am in the mood for thriller!

I actually cannot imagine such situation on a movie forum. But, here - it is a reality. Seriously, I am tired, 95% of this thread is about "open your eyes! start loving other genres! or throw away your 3ds! there is no games on it for your stupid request!". People just cannot stop, if there is nothing to suggest?

Way back on page one of this thread, I was the first person to recommend Bravely Default and Project X Zone, and (solely based on titles I've played versus your ridiculously narrow criteria) that's still all I can suggest... however, I'm not sure if anyone else has already mentioned Hakuoki: Memories of the Shinsengumi. It's a title I will get around to once I've caught up with my crazy backlog of games across the many systems I play on; it gets high review scores everywhere, and is a VN.

I myself suggest it to me, to see if it is of any good plot :) So already played on PSP. Well, it is not so great. And I am not really into sightseeing naked and half-naked men...

Reactions: Thomas12345

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, you're not the first person who tell me that I bought wrong console, but as for example for DS there were really a bunch of games I liked, so I supposed for 3ds would be somewhat similar. I was wrong, as this topic clearly shows...

Shantar I played (well, tried to do so) on PC and even though the gfx are really GREAT (yes, indeed a state-of-the-art pixel work), but the gameplay... well... Metroid... So, not the thing I really like, never completed or even able to get into any metroid or castlevania...

Code Name STEAM - I see release date is March, so where you played that? From promo video this looks like a good TBS, but is there really a good story inside?

Other 2 looks like fun to play when you go somewhere, but not really the thing I want to find - something where not gameplay drives you, but the story happening on the screen...

You can get the Code Name STEAM demo on the eShop right now in the US, I'm not sure about other regions. Metroidvania, Action Platformers, and Adventure are my favorite genres, so you can see why I can't think of many recommendations. I tend to be very arcadie.

Games that put heavy emphasis on story? I think there's a "Tales of" game for the 3DS. I can't really think of anything that wasn't mentioned in your first post. The Legend of Legacy might be worth looking into when it comes out. It sounds like you want more of a novel or movie than a game.

vayanui8

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While I know you aren't looking for DS games, I'd recommend giving radiant historia and the world ends with you a try if you haven't already. Pretty much everything the 3ds has to offer fitting your criteria has been mentioned already and shot down. The 3ds really doesn't seem to be for you.

Scorp

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Kazakhstan
Games that put heavy emphasis on story? I think there's a "Tales of" game for the 3DS.
Actually was mentioned in first post too. Also, well, no, could be a good RPG or a good story, but there is a big lack of such genre on 3ds, it is obvious...

While I know you aren't looking for DS games, I'd recommend giving radiant historia and the world ends with you a try if you haven't already. Pretty much everything the 3ds has to offer fitting your criteria has been mentioned already and shot down. The 3ds really doesn't seem to be for you.

I actually played World Ends with You and, maybe, story is okay, but the gameplay is just awful mashing from top to down and stuff like that. Very hard to enjoy this, I would say it was very exaggerrated in the reviews... Radiant Historia did not played though, maybe later... By now trying to build a short list for myself for 3ds, as you can see :) For DS there is very interesting game list, lot of different games, so I have no problem to find a game for me on DS.

Binebina87

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I suggest Tales of the Abyss (I'm pretty sure it was already mentioned but I was too lazy to read 10 pages)

It has an awesome story (but u have to play a few hours for it to get there), plot-twists, nice cast of characters, a lot to do and a good battle system.

Maybe watch some lets plays. But yeah Tales all the way :-)

GustavoBacci

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hey there Scorp, got a few suggestions here... let's see if I hit at least one of them...

1: Starship Damrey
2: SteamWorld DIG (also keep an eye out for SteamWorld Heist, in development still)
3: Dillon's Rolling Western - The Last Ranger
4: Sakura Samurai - Art of the Sword
5: NightSky
6: Gunman Clive (1 and 2)
7: [DS] Puzzle Quest - Challenge of the Warlods (personal favorite from the DS family)
8: Liberation Maiden
9: Etrian Odyssey IV
10: Etrian Odyssey - The Millenium Girl

Also as someone else said before: Crimson Shroud.

OH! And since I don't remember you saying anything about it... Donkey Kong Country Returns.

Hope it helps!

Gusty.

HBK

Clover - Fearless to Speak Now. ;)
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
As far as localized games go, you've ruled out what makes the 3DS the 3DS - first party titles. I mean, sure, I myself don't particularly enjoy Smash Bros, but Zelda, Mario, Pokemon, Kirby, etc..? You dislike all of them, or have you played and completed the 3DS versions?

There are good third party titles, but you've ruled them out too (Layton, Phoenix Wright, Bravely, VLR, Etrian Odyssey, Square Enix stuff). Those are some of the best games on the console.

Outside of that, unless you like shovelware or can read katakana, there's not much for you in the 3DS library.

It's not like music, or movies, where you have an astronomical amount of genres and content to choose from. The 3DS is only 4 years old.

Honestly, I'd recommend just getting a PSP, loading up some emulators, and playing through games on other platforms. It's an outstanding device for that. I also recommend Dangan Ronpa, but it's similar to VLR in size (probably bigger). PSP also has a nice library, so check that out.

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sorry, but this is pointless... He bought a 3DS because he wanted more games to play.. But has shot down a good 95% of em. It's stupid. You're better off selling your 3DS and moving on with your life. You will NOT find what your high standards are craving.

SIPPY CUP GAME!!! AM I RIGHT!?!? :-)

Max 30% of the shooter and 70% of the RPG story. Anyway, I do not see that you want to give any real suggestion of 3ds game with the criteria in first post?

You did not provided any link.
Yes, I did.

Are you sure you even want to play video games? Maybe this is more your style. It's even interactive!

Click the word "this".

Reactions: Kioku and VinsCool

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
He might as well step away from gaming. He's "been there" and "done that" with damn near everything that's been mentioned. Better yet, he turned down the rest. This thread is pointless.

There has been more than enough great games mentioned. However, he's decided that he doesn't need to play them because they're not up his alley. Well that's great.. What the hell does he want to play?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: @Sonic Angel Knight :bortz2: