PlayStation Vita price will be cut in 2013

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My view on the whole Vita price point is....

On the plus side.

It's a fantastic machine that fixes nearly all of the PSP's flaws, it is cheap for the hardware that is included. From a pure hardware perspective it is a nearly perfect machine. (My one complaint is the whole custom Sony memory card VS using some form of SD that everyone else on the planet uses.....)

On the negative side.

It is an expensive machine, and needs more games, also it really should have been MicroSD for storage.... paying more money for storage is dumb and consumers surprisingly seem to like keeping money in their own pockets when possible. Who would have guessed?

chyyran

somehow a weeb now.
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
Well, this coincides perfectly with my wish-list, with the WiiU at the very top, which I hope I'll get close to launch, and the Vita at far-off second (Holding out mostly for a piracy enabling hack, due to my deep, albeit gradually lightening hatred of Sony, SCEA, to be specific.* Oh, and some emulators.)

*Lets not derail this thread into a piracy flamewar. (FlameShield™ 0.6)

Guerillaz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be honest, I love my Vita more than my 3DS XL. The thing is, I just do not have the game options like I do with the 3DS. So even though the Vita (in my opinion) is a better portable system, it does not have the games to compete with the 3DS.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Didn't Sony recently release this statement, about why they didn't reduce the PS3 price?

"There's no price drop formally, but the thing that's been happening in the market over the last year or so is that there's been so many retail price promotions, and so many different gift card offers and all those things, being done by all of us (Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony), that we've heard from our consumer, 'Enough with all these weird price moves. What we really want is content and games and value,'"

Admittedly they probably need to reduce the Vita's price in an effort to shift units. Making the console itself cheaper will certainly help, but there's still the expense of the memory cards, and the discouraging software library.

Reactions: 1 person

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't jumped on board this generation of handhelds yet, but I'd certainly like to see the Vita do better. It's a nifty, powerful handheld/multimedia device, so it's sluggish sales have been something of a disappointment. A heavily publicized price cut of some kind could just give it the boost it needs.

...Oh, and insert easy "This could reVitalize the system" joke here. Are you not entertained?

Reactions: 6 people

Clarky

Don't you know who I think I am?
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't say its suicide. Black Friday / Christmas will be a big test for the Vita to see if there is a demand for it, if no one is going for it you have to give consumers a reason to buy it, whether it be a game or an attractive price.

MakiManPR

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
I dont think the console is too expensive, IMO the price is right for what you're getting. The problem here are the obligatory memories and their crazy prices. $100 for 32GB?! WTF?!
Also every Vita should be bundle with a 4GB Memory Card.

But what I'm waiting is the inevitable PSVita Phone with all the characteristic of a cellphone with 4G. So I don't need to carry a lot of devices with me.

FluffyLunamoth

Still a Touhou Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As it stands, there's no reason to buy a Vita at it's current price. It has a very, very tiny selection of games, and everything about it is expensive. Yeah, the 3DS had the same starting point, but it didn't need a memory card. And even then, it CAME with an SD card.

Reactions: 2 people

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
As it stands, there's no reason to buy a Vita at it's current price. It has a very, very tiny selection of games, and everything about it is expensive. Yeah, the 3DS had the same starting point, but it didn't need a memory card. And even then, it CAME with an SD card.
Still there are tons of games for the 3DS that cost around $50 still even though it's a long time since the games were released. Tiny selection isn't really true. It has a largish amount of games and it will keep on getting more games. Just like the 3DS (which has been hit with shovelware already). If someone really wanted to buy the console, they would just go buy it. There is enough stuff to do with the console already on top of the games. It's more about what makes you tik and what you want to do with the consoles.

Admittedly Sony should have bundled the 4 gb memory card, but asking for a lot of money for a certain card depends a lot on the specs. Hell I've just bought a few SD cards that cost more than the $100 for the 32 gb. If it's a fast card, you'll end up paying more for it now than in a few years. First buyers always pay for R&D more than the late bloomers.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Still there are tons of games for the 3DS that cost around $50 still even though it's a long time since the games were released.
No idea what currency that is. But in America, it's $40 USD. But either way, I think holding a high price is more of a Nintendo thing above anything else. I remember very early this year, NSMBDS, Mario Kart DS, and Super Mario 64 DS (a freaking launch title) still retailed new for $35. Remember, at this point we had Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7 for only $40. And yet YEARS old DS games, at least one of them eight years old, was still retailing for $35. Nintendo knows people will buy their games regardless, so they don't bring the price down unless the game sold poorly *cough*Metroid:OtherM*cough*

D

Deleted User

under the 200€ would be an insta buy but the vita has only 1 game I like xD so again maybe not

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
A price cut on both Vita and memory card will put it under my consideration. Until then I won't be buying it anytime soon. I bought PSP when Vita came out, and I'm fine with doing that again when Vita's successor comes out.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte