Firmware PlayStation Vita firmware update for 3.73 now available

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Oct 16, 2019.

1. digipimp75

digipimp75 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 16, 2014
    United States
    So why did they stop supporting it with first party titles after a year or two? If not for Japanese market and indie support, the system would've been a complete flop

StrayGuitarist likes this.
  2. DANTENDO

DANTENDO I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser

Mar 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    I don't kno why only thing can think of is they didn't hav enough in house teams to develop these big first party games or what they had just weren't good enough for release but when I got my vita I knew the ps4 would still be my main machine- the vita to me was I'd get about 5 top quality games a year tht I like which I did get

3. lincruste

lincruste GBAtemp Fan

Jan 13, 2008
    Antarctica
    france
    What the fuck dude indies ? Indies don't push firmware updates, who's talking about indies you tool.

4. Pipistrele

Pipistrele GBAtemp Regular

Jan 21, 2019
    Russia
    It didn't have a greatest start due to some other bad decisions on Sony (mainly proprietary memory and lackluster launch lineup), and since PS4 already took off big time, it just made more sense money-wise to put all the resources into home market - especially since Vita was kind of a pain in the ass to develop for.

Last edited by Pipistrele, Oct 18, 2019
    digipimp75 likes this.
  5. RedBlueGreen

RedBlueGreen GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 10, 2015
    Canada
    Of course they make money, a lot of games are digital only.

6. Darksabre72

Darksabre72 Blue Falcon

Nov 26, 2016
    United States
    yea but now it's just indies and few japan 3rd party ports

7. Robika

Robika GBAtemp Regular

Mar 14, 2010
    Spain
    I supported the system until they announced that Catherine full body was cancelled in the west.

Azael_inf and tangotnt like this.
  8. MrCokeacola

MrCokeacola GBAtemp Fan

Feb 26, 2018
    Canada
    Vita just can't stop winning it would seem.

StrayGuitarist likes this.
  9. StrayGuitarist

StrayGuitarist A genuine feline disaster.

Mar 28, 2019
    United States
    Pallyfornia
    Big mood. But for me, I'd rather get a PSTV. I saw them at Fry's on clearance for like, $30 a few years back, but didn't buy one because I just thought it was a basic streaming device without any Vita support because of how poorly it was advertised.

Aside from that, I'd honestly like to play PSP games without the grody, awful motion blur of the actual PSP screen, but the financial investment picking up a Vita would require just isn't justifiable if I'm only going to use it for one retail game, and PSP stuff..

10. codezer0

codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

Jul 14, 2009
    United States
    The Magic School Bus
    if I recall correctly, the PSTV can't support any games that actually use the touch functionality. And as bizarro as the touch surface being on the back of the console is to me still, I think Katamari on Vita did use the feature. So, that kind of rules out the PSTV.

I also have zero inclination of getting a playstation home system after the PS3. Even for the PS4 Pro, when I was actively looking into it, every game I cared about that had a PS4 Pro-aware patch would then make it actually run worse on the higher-spec console. Which makes no goddamned sense to me. PS3 was my last straw as far as Sony goes.

11. StrayGuitarist

StrayGuitarist A genuine feline disaster.

Mar 28, 2019
    United States
    Pallyfornia
    For the longest time, a year or two after a new generation of gaming started, I'd get a console of my choice from family for Christmas, then around the midway point, or near the end, I'd save up and buy another console with my own money. For the 6th generation, the console I got for Christmas was an original Xbox, then the one I bought later was a PS2. I enjoyed it a lot, but still preferred my Xbox in the end.

When the 7th generation rolled around, I remembered that I had a lot of fun with the PS2 and was considering getting a PS3, but they removed the two things that made it cool to me- OtherOS, and the PS2 backwards compatibility. And aside from that, all of the cool games I was excited about were on the Wii and Xbox 360. So I got the Wii for Christmas, and a 360 around 2013 or so, and played the heck out of both of them. But even to this day, I have just never found a single reason to buy a PS3 or PS4, even taking homebrew into account. Nintendo has their big hitters, Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Splatoon, Smash.. Microsoft has Halo, Forza, Rare.. (And Gears of War, but I'm not that much of a fan, and this is all from my perspective, after all), but to this day, it just sort of seems like Sony doesn't really do much of any first-party stuff, and when they do, it's usually nothing I'm ever that interested in. Even when it comes to simulation racers, I'm sooner to pick up Sega GT 2002 or Forza 6 before I even consider looking into the newest Gran Turismo game.

But, y'know.

12. Waywatcher

Waywatcher Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 6, 2015
    They were serious when they said that Vita means life. It will still be alive 10 years from now. :blink:

tangotnt and CallmeBerto like this.
  13. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    they keep pushing random updates to ps3 and vita for no reason lol they are basically dead so what is the point really?

14. DANTENDO

DANTENDO I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser

Mar 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Millions out ther still play those systems so thts the point

15. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    their systems arent better because they get new patch lol so they arent improving anything really.

16. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    to be fair, the ps3 needs updates with new AACS keys for bluray playback. those come out every 12-18 months, sometimes less when need be.

17. YOUCANTSTOPME

YOUCANTSTOPME GBAtemp Regular

May 7, 2012
    Canada
    in yo mind
    I'll never understand the internet. If they stop making updates, you guys complain it was abandoned. If they make updates, you guys complain anyways. Oh well.

Obviously there's enough demand to warrant one otherwise they would not waste their money. I don't see it as a bad thing.

18. trigao

trigao Ninten

Nov 21, 2008
    Brazil
    I think sony and nintendo have a competition to who will be release the last update for a legacy product until end of the year

Whats next? Wiiu or 3ds update? Then ps3.. Make your bets

19. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    original wii wil get an update to play just dance 2020 xD

Azael_inf likes this.