PlayStation Vita Beats Wii U In Game Critics Best Of E3 Awards

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
EJames2100 said:
Yes the only reason Nintendo could possibly loose at E3 is if they don't present it right...
If that's a sarcastic reply to me then you're being dumb. These journalists are running off the showing at E3. THe WiiU presentation just wasn't good. They didn't have a lot to show, they only had the announcement and they didn't exactly announce it well. Sony were past the announcement stage and had some serious, concrete games etc. to show for their hardware as well as a near final design. Of course the PSVita would be considered the best hardware.

These "Best in Show" awards are ENTIRELY about the presentation and showing at E3. Its not really got a lot to do with the hardware. And when its a near-final, close to release console vs. a newly announced, prototype console with just tech demos to show at the moment its obvious what's going to win unless the newly announced hardware has some seriously good presentation behind it. The WiiU just wasn't that interesting, the announcement left you confused as to whether it was a Wii add-on or a new console, all this culminates in no best of show. Nintendo done goofed.

D

Deleted User

Hmm. Maybe if Nintendo were less cryptic about their console, they might've won something.

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Neither of them are in their final form, we know for a fact the Wii U hardware will be different by the time it comes out(I believe they haven't quite decided on how much ram and cpu speed), and the Vita will probably have a lot of tweaks. I don't care which one is better now. And TBH they aren't even competing directly.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Frankly speaking, Nintendo really screwed up for the Wii U presentation.

If there were emphasis on overall stuff, maybe it still has a chance.

Anyway, people near me now just say that the Wii U is a Wii + HD. Just like 3DS = 3D + DS.
tongue.gif

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Lol, people saying Nintendos excuse is because they didn't present it well.
I'd rather not pay whatever price it's going to be for a next gen console if I can't even get more out of it than my PS3. The controller really does look awful, they need to do something about it.

My money is all going towards Sony next gen.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
prowler_ said:
Lol, people saying Nintendos excuse is because they didn't present it well.
I'd rather not pay whatever price it's going to be for a next gen console if I can't even get more out of it than my PS3. The controller really does look awful, they need to do something about it.

My money is all going towards Sony next gen.
Its not an excuse. Its a criticism. That's like losing a debate and them making excuses saying their argument was flimsy. That was the entire point of the competition. If you didn't have that you had nothing.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Come to think of what Jack Tretton said...

HD was 2006 for us...

Actually it is true... It's just that HD technology back then was darn expensive. Nintendo making HD the next gen really doesn't seem too promising.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, the Playstation Vita looks like the better system from the consumer's point of view after that E3. I learned almost nothing about the Wii U (price, launch titles, etc.) while we learned a ton of things about the Vita. For all I know, the Vita will have better graphics than the WiiU.

Me? Vita = launch buy. WiiU = Nope.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was reading this on Eurogamer and I read quite the interesting quote:

QUOTE said:
"Wii was not accepted by core gamers because they did not want to abandon their preferred control approach," he said, as reported by Andriasang.

"Additionally, Wii did not use HD because HD cost performance at the time was low. Wii U makes it easier to use conventional controls. Also, the Wii U controller is not as big or heavy as it looks."

And this is exactly why the WiiU was beaten. Nintendo has clearly lost track of what core gamers want. It's not visuals, it's not controls, it's having a console that's actually modern. They're not gonna pay more than what a PS3 costs (currently $300 new, but there are rumors of a price cut incoming) or what a Xbox costs (around $200) just for something that can play some of the current games near its launch. They're still 5 years behind on library and coming late to the party saying they can do what everyone else has been doing is not gonna win them any brownie points.

EDIT: And the rumor mill is running wild with a new Xbox coming to E3 2012 and I'm sure, despite what Sony says, if Xbox is making a console immensely more powerful than the WiiU (and its a safe bet to say they will), Sony won't be too far behind. Then we'll be stuck with a current gen situation. The WiiU staying in last for graphics and features and whatever Microsoft and Sony bring to the table providing more power. Plus Sony's Vita price announcement has taught them to price things close to home to Nintendo, and if they offer their next gen home console for a price within $50 of a WiiU, I'm guessing Nintendo's in deep shit.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm afraid that Guild is 100% correct on that. "Core" gamers will not give up their standard controllers for something that Nintendo considers "innovative". Hell, even I'm skeptical just because of this fact.

Casuals really seem to be the aim, and with the titles coming for the system, it's not gonna entertain the casual side very well. Nintendo is stuck between a rock and a hard place.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Guild is seriously 100% correct.

Up till now, I'm still NOT used to playing with the Wii.

Wii U controller 2 circle pads? Not actual analogs... Gosh.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Slyakin said:
Well, the Playstation Vita looks like the better system from the consumer's point of view after that E3. I learned almost nothing about the Wii U (price, launch titles, etc.) while we learned a ton of things about the Vita. For all I know, the Vita will have better graphics than the WiiU.

You are very very wrong....Wii u acctually has more power than current High end consoles.
I will absolutely blow the vita out of the water if it comes to graphics, lol!

Do a little research. It's about 50 % more powerfull than ps3.
Also this award is'nt for best graphics, or for best console.

I consider myself harcore, ( been playing for nearly 32 years..)
I made the step to Wii. I can't imagine a world without similar controls.
It's the most intuitive control possible in combination with a TV.
The Wii U will be NO different.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hielkenator said:
You are very very wrong....Wii u acctually has more power than current High end consoles.

It'll probably be close to a PSP-Wii level of comparison. And yes, I'm saying that the PSP is a stone's throw away from the Wii.

50% more powerful than 5 year old consoles is probably the least impressive thing I've heard. You look at WiiU tech demos compared to PS3 games and the difference is not a whole lot. You compare PS3 tech demos to PS2 games and there's a huge difference. The WiiU is a sorry excuse for "next gen" graphics.

And it basically is awarded "best console".

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hielkenator said:
Slyakin said:

I'm not saying that the PSV IS better, it's just that I have no IDEA what they look like when compared. I've seen so many demos of the PSV that it just looks better. Seriously, please read the whole post.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Hielkenator said:
Slyakin said:

Firstly, try NOT to double post.

Secondly, it's seriously unfair to compare console with handheld.
closedeyes.gif

Finally, people are NOT really talking about graphics, power or whatever. We are talking about why Nintendo is losing out, and that is because it is following its own way too much. People who were used to the duo analogs, d-pad, shaped controller buttons and others might take very long to get used to this new 'innovation'. PS Vita on the other hand attracted a lot cuz it's launch price is very favorable. Wii U? It is expected to be even higher than the original Wii price ($249.99) and you are getting almost quite the same stuff as a PS3. Also, PS3 has PSN... Nintendo's online isn't that advanced either.

nutella

Low Glycemic Index
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hielkenator said:
Slyakin said:

50% more power != 50% better graphics.
The same was said for the PS2/Wii comparison.

In any case, this "intuitive" and "innovative" control scheme just doesn't cut it anymore. If Nintendo put half the effort on their software rather than making different control schemes, they would being doing much better. Because that's all they're doing at the moment. Just different control schemes. Not better, just different.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    even the nvidia shield tv has AI video upscaling
    LLMs can be run on cpu anyway but it's quite slow
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Have you ever been beaten by a wet spaghetti noodle by your girlfriend because she has a twin sister, and you got confused and fucked her dad?
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I had a girlfriend who had a twin sister and they would mess with me constantly.... Until one chipped a tooth then finally I could tell them apart.... Lol
    They would have the same hair style the same clothes everything... Really messed with my head lol
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
    i don't think nvidia wants to get in the x64 cpu market anyways
    you've seen how much intel is struggling getting into the gpu market
    and nvidia is already doing ARM
    i don't think they want to take more focus away from their gpus
    Yeah I think Nvidia s future lays in AI GPU acceleration stuff if they can get that going it's going to be super interesting in the long term
    AI assisted game creation might become a thing
    At least that's something I think would be pretty cool.
    Don some VR glasses and gloves and talk to the computer and paint entire worlds
    "OK Cortana I want that mountain a little taller and more snow on top, and I would like some random ancient pine forest around the bottom"
    "Now we need a spring fed river flowing down the north side and add some wild life appropriate for the biome"
    Many TBs of assets and the programming of something like that is going to be tough but I think it's something we might see in 20 years maybe sooner
    @Psionic Roshambo AI assisted game creation is kinda already here, there was recently that AI that can turn any 2D image into a fully modeled 3D object, it's not perfect, but it's a starting point, beats starting from zero
    +1
    before that there was one to generate a fully modeled scene from a 2D image
    +1
    but most recently, there was one that actually generates a working unity scene with terrain and textures already set up that you can import right into unity, that's a huge time saver right there
    +1
    and using LLMs to generate NPC dialogue and even dynamically generated quests is something i'm sure is already happening
    +1
    will just take some time for games made using those things to be completed and released
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @The Real Jdbye, it's bed bath and beyond you nitwit
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol