PlayStation Vita As One Of The Worst Product Flops of 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

W.I.C.K.E.D.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If developers were scared of piracy, they would have stopped releasing games on the Wii and the DS a long time ago. Both of which are absurdly easy to mod and pirate on. No, rather the developers see the poor sales of the system and feel like their invested time and energy would be wasted for little gain. Thus they cancel and drop PS Vita releases. As a side note, homebrew game releases for the PS Vita would not come even close to the quality of big name commercial releases. The only thing it would have running for it would be a bunch of emulation potential (not bad necessarily but definitely wasted potential). So, all us adopters of the Vita better hope for a decent break that revitalizes Sony's handheld.
Not exactly true as those are both marketed to mostly a younger audience that isn't as overrun or experienced with piracy. Why do more developers focus on consoles than PCs? For the exact reason that pirating on the pc is far simpler by the end user than most anything aside from the ds. My other comment was in regards to playing psp games on the vita. Like I said, I got a deal on my vita, so worst case I sell my psp and I pretty much got the thing dirt cheap, or an upgrade for barely anything. I would never expect homebrew to compete with commercial titles, that wouldn't make sense.

Edit: I hope the handheld gets better too, I'm just not jumping to conclusions is all.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
And....here's proof that I took the screenshot. It's the underside of a ship, and the ceiling of a tunnel.
1H9hn

EDIT:
1H9ub
it's like they want your screenshots to look like promo material :unsure:

stinkoman

Magnificent Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And....here's proof that I took the screenshot. It's the underside of a ship, and the ceiling of a tunnel.
1H9hn

EDIT:
1H9ub
Jesus, that's pretty nice. Is the actual game any good though? I'm only vaguely familiar with the series and I'm not sure if I should bother wasting space on it or not.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Jesus, that's pretty nice. Is the actual game any good though? I'm only vaguely familiar with the series and I'm not sure if I should bother wasting space on it or not.
The game's pretty fun, although the speed and handling of the ships make it pretty difficult to get used to. I got the PS3 version back in 2011, and I still crash into walls fairly often.

Reactions: stinkoman

retrodoctor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Labeling it a flop is an opinion, just as mine. That's been claimed as stated earlier in the thread of other consoles/handhelds, which turned out to be wrong long term. Slow starts happen, and a system that isn't even a year old I believe in no way can be a determining factor of it's fate. People by nature just put more energy into complaining than complimenting. Gamers in general are a hard crowd to please. Some want graphics, others want gameplay. Some complain about being overloaded with shovelware, others complain that there aren't enough A titles. Sales numbers in a garbage economy doesn't prove much either, at least on my end.
A flop is not an opinion.

DragorianSword

GBAtemp's #1 Gunter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I'm pretty sure it is. There is no evident proof at the moment the system has failed, so saying it is in this instance is an opinion.
Yeah you're right.
Most guys around here are talking like the Vita is already dead.
They just have to lower the price and release a few more good games (maybe a good shooter would do nicely) and their sales will go up, resulting in a higher interest from developers in the system.
I'm sure the Vita will be worth it in the end, we just have to give it some time.

Reactions: Deleted User

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Labeling it a flop is an opinion, just as mine. That's been claimed as stated earlier in the thread of other consoles/handhelds, which turned out to be wrong long term. Slow starts happen, and a system that isn't even a year old I believe in no way can be a determining factor of it's fate. People by nature just put more energy into complaining than complimenting. Gamers in general are a hard crowd to please. Some want graphics, others want gameplay. Some complain about being overloaded with shovelware, others complain that there aren't enough A titles. Sales numbers in a garbage economy doesn't prove much either, at least on my end.
No no no, "flop" as in "commercial failure". That has nothing to do with an individual's enjoyment of the system, and everything to do in units moved over time and cost and effort spent versus returns.

Someone mentioned Wipeout, and didn't deliver screenshots. So here's one directly from my Vita (not the best shot, but i tried). The Vita's OLED screen makes it look a lot more vibrant than the screenshot does on a regular monitor.
http://puu.sh/1H93m
Of note is the specular mapping, that's a nice touch, and something older handhelds couldn't do. At least, if a PSP game ever used a specular map properly I'd like to see. Not to mention the lighting is nice too, especially the shadow effects... though if they're real (that is they show up on the ship in the right spots too) that's even better than a baked-in overlay.

it's like they want your screenshots to look like promo material :unsure:
Sega tends to do that too... and Nexon, and more companies I can't remember off the top of my head. They watermark the images and such (of course there's client-side mods to remove the watermark effect by replacing it's texture with a transparent one).

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Maybe because that article is utter bullshit.

No need to post figures because you're agreeing that this article (Valwin's) and the article i posted are utter rubbish (points of view which offer biased negativity....although the Wii U is having a rough time over here). Posting either as news would just be a deliberate attempt to irritate. Vita is one of the flops of 2012? Says who? Some random pundit we've never heard of who takes no account of prevailing forces, the fact that the Vita had one of the best launch line ups ever or the problem of the massive 3DS price cuts which meant people held off from buying a Vita?

Valwin is disruptive posting this, and i'm pretty sure it's obvious i'd rather he'd have stayed banned rather than come back to create arguments.

Black-Ice

Founder of the Church of Renamon
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
He claims he already bought one, although like everything he claims it's totally unsubstantiated thus far.
Ahh yes the key word is 'claim'
90% of things written about the vita on gbatemp are 'claims'
bring on the facts yo

Valwin

The Neautral Gamer
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm actually disappointed this thread wasn't locked before I got a chance to read it...

Is there any way Valwin could be allowed to log in and post but not create threads? Would really have a positive impact on my quality of life.

why ? whats wrong with posting real legit info about happenings if it flop i think people shuld know why do you want to hide this kind o info ?

Reactions: signz

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
why ? whats wrong with posting real legit info about happenings if it flop i think people shuld know why do you want to hide this kind o info ?

How is some random guy posting his opinions (HI VALWIN!) relevant if it's not sustantiated? Who is Samuel Weigley and why had he never written a gaming piece before? (because obviously he's a credible font of knowledge on the subject). Is Wallstreet 24/7 really a gaming mecca aware of what's going on? (sees comparison of dedicated gaming system to mobile gaming) No.

Go troll on some other board.

LAA

Trophies
XP
Country
A shame about Vita. I mean, I personally use it WAY more than my 3DS, and the 3DS has already pretty much lost the hardcore audience, and theres very little I'm looking forward to on the 3DS, compared to the vita. I think the VIta deserves very much to sell more than the 3DS, I do believe that the price, price of memory cards and of course, game libary are the main issues with it really, but when more people buy a vita, more developers will take a chance on it, (Although, imo, the price of the vita was worth every penny to me, but compared to a 3DS, it needs to be a little more closer to that level, including memory card).
I still love both to a point however though and both can definitely improve more and I look forward to seeing how!

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Labeling it a flop is an opinion, just as mine.

Erm... no. Labeling something a flop is based on sales and the consumer base. Sales are weak, consumer base is low. The Vita is not making Sony a profit at this point. It has been out for a year. At this moment right now, it makes the handheld a flop.

Of course in the future things could turn around (like with the PS3 which started out with very low sales), but as of right now, one would be absolutely correct to label the thing a flop.

Again though, that doesn't mean its a bad handheld at all, its great and powerful, but the masses just aren't clamoring for the thing. Thats all there is to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    cearp @ cearp: Welcome hazbeans