1. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

Norway
    Only if you love weeb games. That's all the Vita has to offer.

banjo2 likes this.
  2. MikaDubbz

MikaDubbz GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Switch is apparently suited just fine for this kind of thing. In Japan, 3 games are playable on the Switch by only streaming them (they therefore have 'Cloud' at the end of their names): Assassin's Creed Odyssey Cloud, Resident Evil 7 Cloud, and Phantasy Star Online 2 Cloud.

Beyond that, there was that app made and ready to be distributed, Rainway, that would have let users stream their PC games to their switch for remote play, but Nintendo never allowed that to be approved. And finally, the homebrew scene here has an app that does the very same thing. I haven't kept up with it, but when it launched, video streamed without issue, but audio wasn't there yet. I'm sure that audio is there now, or at the very least it can be in the future.

So I'm inclined to say that the internet speeds your Switch can achieve are absolutely capable of this kind of thing with the right devs and optimization.

3. duwen

duwen Old Man Yoshi

United Kingdom
    another biased fanboy troll :glare: ...if we're playing that game... have fun with your childrens platformers and virtual pets.

4. warweeny

warweeny GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    you clearly have not done your research, go be retarded somewhere else.

Some games that are/will release(d) between 2019 and 2020:

Romancing saga 3 (rpg)
    Risk of rain 2 (rouge-like platform shooter)
    Battle princess madelyn (action platformer / metroid vania)
    Shovel knight: King of cards (action platformer)
    Earthknight (platformer)
    Utawarerumono: Prelude to the Fallen (jrpg)
    Zodiac: Orcanon Odyssey (rpg)

Yeah, "only" visual novels, oh wait, there is not even one in those examples.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
    usernamecharlie likes this.
  5. Sakitoshi

Sakitoshi GBAtemp Official Lolimaster

Chile
    the only thing miserable there is the people that believes that.

6. Chary

OP Chary Never sleeps.
    Senior Editor

United States
    Let's be real. With sales below the Wii U and GameGear, the Vita was certainly in flop territory. The overpriced nostalgia machine of the SNES Classic sold half the amount of all the Vita's, ever, in a year.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Vita, but everyone knows it as the little system that couldn't. Even PS themselves. They abandoned it the moment the going got tough, pretending it didn't exist, and then slapped that legacy system label on it so people would stop wondering about it.

7. DragorianSword

DragorianSword GBAtemp's #1 Gunter

Belgium
    Holy shit yes!
    I love using my PSVita to stream from my PS4.
    Would be great if I could use my Switch for that instead since it has a bigger screen and to spare my PSVita a bit.
    It's starting to wear out a little from its heavy useage. (Seriously, not being sarcastic. Played loads of JRPGs on that thing + didn't have a tv for a while so could only stream if I wanted to play ps4)

8. AnalogMan

AnalogMan ultraSuMoFramework Dev

United States
    Naive. Console costs are more than just their constituent parts. Every console is sold at a loss, even PS4 and Xbox. A console's cost includes, not just its parts, but the cost of assembly, testing, design, prototype builds, programmers for the OS, SDK development and updating, advertising for the console, warranty repairs, storing and distribution, packaging, and a whole lot of other things. So yeah, console's are sold at a loss with profit made from the software purchased for them.

9. MikaDubbz

MikaDubbz GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Not all consoles though, the Wii famously sold at a profit of $50 each even at launch. Though I guess that's not all that surprising when you recognize that all they did was sell a slightly more powerful Gamecube at a new console price 5 years after the original Gamecube was launched.

10. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

Norway
    All of those are ports of games that have already been released on every other platform, a few of them are ports/emulated versions of old games a la Virtual Console. If those are the best examples you can come up with then it just proves my point.

11. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Portugal
    well even if sony wants this, nintendo has to aprove this, which i dont see it happen tbh, if nintendo aproves this, then its the end of 3rd party games becuase they wont even bother codding for switch, when you can just stream ps4, which would turn switch into a wiiu with only nintendo games and nothing more.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

what? nintendo had the most powerful console on the nes/snes day while the competitors like mega drive had more cpu computing everything else on snes was superior and so on, and even n64 was graphicaly superior to ps1 the only downside was storage because of cartridges so yeah i think nintendo had 3 systems that were overal better than their competitors, sure gc was much better than ps2 but xbox was even better and then after that nintendo realized they no long wanted to compete with competitors specs and went on their own, doing their own thing.

12. TheZander

TheZander King of the Level 7's

United States
    What's a good reason for an end consumer to ever reject an additional feature to their thing? What downside would it be for the players? Isn't this more of a thing that's above the pay grade there?

13. usernamecharlie

usernamecharlie GBAtemp Regular

Israel
    Hope this never happens - SONY should release a VITA 2 and show it much more love. I have 4 VITAs (1 OLED, 1 LCD and 2 TVs) and they are awesome. Just ordered some new 2020 games (e.g. Knightin‘+) - still playing a lot with it, even on TV.

14. DANTENDO

DANTENDO I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser

United Kingdom
    Shit 4 vitas - you must be world record holder so send pic to sony you may get 100 quid voucher or they giv you another vita

15. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Portugal
    easy because nintendo would loose software sales, and the real money isnt on hardware sales but software.

16. Ryccardo

Ryccardo and his tropane alkaloids

Italy
    It's fairly easy to replace after removing 7 screws - sure, it could be easier, but it's all there in the manual (!), and isn't sold separately or intended to be swapped on the go like the first 3 models of PSPs...

And with that disaster called N2DS (a member of the 3DS family), Nintendo also switched to an harder-than-it-could-be to replace battery... continuing to use chinesium screws as with other consoles in the series ;)

17. DarkShinigami

DarkShinigami #1 strongest Shinigami BANKAI

United States
    Remote play is not for outside the house. Both devices need to be connected to a network. I use remote play more for when I'm watching a movie and wanna play a game

AkiraKurusu likes this.
  18. Torina

Torina GBAtemp Regular

France
    Really ?
    ...Tempers...
    ...I am the one who has to do it ?
    ...*sigh*
    ... all right

GAME BOI

Sorry, I couldn't help it :)

19. AkiraKurusu

AkiraKurusu GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Thank you for the elucidation; I thought "remote play" meant "out-and-about play", similar to what that Google flop and Microsoft's X-Cloud thingy are trying to accomplish.

In that case, I could be interested in it - assuming it's not ridiculously expensive or got other weird barriers.

20. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Portugal
    that is cloud based streaming, you dont have any deice you own running the game, they are being run on servers fra from you.

with remote play you need a pc/console/ whatever you own running the game and then stream to another device.

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - PlayStation, Nintendo, players