PlayStation survey asks if players would enjoy having PS4 Remote Play on the Nintendo Switch

5b48c98c5ea108a4298b45f9.jpg

The PlayStation Vita was meant to be the king of Remote Play for PlayStation, but things never really turned out the way they hoped, with the Vita being known more for its miserable sales and its status as a "legacy system" a handful of years after its launch. We could get another chance at experiencing Remote Play on a handheld, though, if a recent PlayStation survey has anything to say about it. Reportedly, a Reddit user found a survey being given out by Sony, which asked PlayStation fans what features they'd like to see in the future, regarding Remote Play. Some of these questions asked if being able to play classic PS1 and PS2 titles through remote play would be appealing, if a mini DualShock 4 meant for on-the-go playing would be of interest, or if people would want to use Remote Play on other entertainment devices, such as the Apple TV, Android TV, or even the Nintendo Switch. Whether or not we see Sony actually implement any of these ideas is dubious, but it does seem like they're looking towards the future when it comes to PlayStation 4's Remote Play, or the service in general.

:arrow: Source

HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There were similar ideas already in place with previous Nintendo consoles, but none of which actually allowed you to play the TV console games remotely. You could play games from handheld consoles to TV consoles (Super Game Boy for the SNES that uses Game Boy Game Paks), transfer data from the TV console to handheld (Transfer Pak for N64 and Game Boy/Game Boy Color Game Paks), or even use the handheld as a controller for the TV console (Game Boy Advance to the Nintendo GameCube). I think the closest there was to playing TV games remotely was with the Wii U and 3DS systems, where you could find the same games for 3DS (usually with slight differences to utilize the mobile platform's control scheme).

Remote Play for the Nintendo Switch? It's an interesting concept, but one I think may not really be necessary. The Switch already has plenty of mobility, and you can transfer save data between Switch consoles in order to continue your progress in games, or even play off of your primary Switch with another Switch. Thus, we already have a Remote Play of sorts.

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
what? nintendo had the most powerful console on the nes/snes day while the competitors like mega drive had more cpu computing everything else on snes was superior and so on, and even n64 was graphicaly superior to ps1 the only downside was storage because of cartridges so yeah i think nintendo had 3 systems that were overal better than their competitors, sure gc was much better than ps2 but xbox was even better and then after that nintendo realized they no long wanted to compete with competitors specs and went on their own, doing their own thing.

And of those 3 systems "more powerful than their competitors" what multi-plat games ran better? Let's ignore the 8bit era (because; A. There were technically far better systems than the NES and Master System around, and B. There were virtually no multi-plat releases). I can't think of any third party titles that were significantly better on Nintendo's 16bit machine (and btw, the Neo Geo was vastly more powerful than anything else of that gen - didn't make that the "go to" machine, much like the Xbox1x this gen). The multi-plat EA sports titles were significantly better on the Megadrive. Most other 'ports' were different enough that either version had their merits. PS1 vs N64; not many multi-plat releases to compare, but if you'd rather play Resident Evil 2 on an N64 over a PS1 you're in the minority. And as much as I love the Gamecube, the PS2 would always be the "go to" system for consumers and third party devs, purely because of how popular it was.
So, regardless of system specs/power, my statement holds - Nintendo has never had the "go to" system for multi-plat/non-exclusive releases.

Last edited by duwen,

skullkeeper94

Professional USB Corrupter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Switch is apparently suited just fine for this kind of thing. In Japan, 3 games are playable on the Switch by only streaming them (they therefore have 'Cloud' at the end of their names): Assassin's Creed Odyssey Cloud, Resident Evil 7 Cloud, and Phantasy Star Online 2 Cloud.

Beyond that, there was that app made and ready to be distributed, Rainway, that would have let users stream their PC games to their switch for remote play, but Nintendo never allowed that to be approved. And finally, the homebrew scene here has an app that does the very same thing. I haven't kept up with it, but when it launched, video streamed without issue, but audio wasn't there yet. I'm sure that audio is there now, or at the very least it can be in the future.

So I'm inclined to say that the internet speeds your Switch can achieve are absolutely capable of this kind of thing with the right devs and optimization.
Oh! Well, by all means then PlayStation do your work :D it'd be a nice little surprise to see something like this on the e-Shop.

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Stupid question. Of course we would enjoy that.

This is obviously someone with common sense at Sony, trying to prove to the higher ups that they are a bunch of complete idiots that dont give their own customers what they want due to their own stubbornness and old fashioned views.

naxil

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
In theory with hacked switch (android boot) is possible right now? I haven't try remote play on my PS4. I use my phone as hotspot (sharing 4G connection with ps4). Lot of android wifi program refuse to work if the smartphone is on hotspot mode. (bubble upnp works for example).

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
And of those 3 systems "more powerful than their competitors" what multi-plat games ran better? Let's ignore the 8bit era (because; A. There were technically far better systems than the NES and Master System around, and B. There were virtually no multi-plat releases). I can't think of any third party titles that were significantly better on Nintendo's 16bit machine (and btw, the Neo Geo was vastly more powerful than anything else of that gen - didn't make that the "go to" machine, much like the Xbox1x this gen). The multi-plat EA sports titles were significantly better on the Megadrive. Most other 'ports' were different enough that either version had their merits. PS1 vs N64; not many multi-plat releases to compare, but if you'd rather play Resident Evil 2 on an N64 over a PS1 you're in the minority. And as much as I love the Gamecube, the PS2 would always be the "go to" system for consumers and third party devs, purely because of how popular it was.
So, regardless of system specs/power, my statement holds - Nintendo has never had the "go to" system for multi-plat/non-exclusive releases.
so your saying neogeo was the better system? lol snes had loads of games better than genesis and using neogeo as an example is ridiculous lol the console barely sold and had a a handful of games, next time your gonna use atari jaguar as an example, failled consoles arent an example becuase they failled and almost no neo geo game had versions on other systems to compare not to mention tyou were asking for multiplatform games that run better, neogeo barely has any multiplatform games at all lol.

also n64 had alot of better game ports than ps1,stuff like glover, 007 world is not enough,rayman 2,shadow man, gaunlet legends,san franciso rush,Space Station Silicon Valley, many agree than megaman legends and RE2 are better on n64(due to expansion pak giving you alot more resolution and analog stick, same for vigilant 8 games and so on, i could list alot of multiplats that run and look better on n64 by far, the only thing ps1 had for it was cd music, so any game that didnt need full on cd music is almost always better on n64 specialy if they added expansion pack support.

Last edited by pedro702,

eskinner3742

GBAtemp Professional Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was able to rig up PS4 remote play on my switch as a fun project. Had to remote play the PS4 to my PC. Use moonlight to stream my PC to my switch running Android, then a program to take the switches emulated Xbox controller and emulate a PS4 controller. It worked well enough, but was laggy at times. The ability to play Spiderman on the toilet was a really cool experience tho

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
so your saying neogeo was the better system? lol snes had loads of games better than genesis and using neogeo as an example is ridiculous lol the console barely sold and had a a handful of games, next time your gonna use atari jaguar as an example, failled consoles arent an example becuase they failled and almost no neo geo game had versions on other systems to compare not to mention tyou were asking for multiplatform games that run better, neogeo barely has any multiplatform games at all lol.

also n64 had alot of better game ports than ps1,stuff like glover, 007 world is not enough,rayman 2,shadow man, gaunlet legends,san franciso rush,Space Station Silicon Valley, many agree than megaman legends and RE2 are better on n64(due to expansion pak giving you alot more resolution and analog stick, same for vigilant 8 games and so on, i could list alot of multiplats that run and look better on n64 by far, the only thing ps1 had for it was cd music, so any game that didnt need full on cd music is almost always better on n64 specialy if they added expansion pack support.
My, you're a cantankerous one aren't you!
Make up your mind; you're trying to argue that Nintendo always has the go to machine for multi-plat releases - I'm disputing that. You try to claim that the SNES was the go-to over the Megadrive because it was the more powerful hardware - I'm saying that the Neo-Geo was the more powerful (regardless of how well you think it sold... fyi, it was still getting 1st party games released for it a decade after it launched)... as for multi-plats, you must be forgetting the ports of Samurai Shodown, Fatal Fury, World Heroes, King of The Monsters, etc that were released on SNES and some on the Megadrive.

Almost all those N64 games you listed as being better on N64 than PS1 - guess what? They're on the Dreamcast and look and run better than anything on the N64. Don't bring up the N64 again - it was no ones go-to for anything other than exclusives.

Nintendo systems are indeed popular, but not for multi-plats. Take away the exclusives and there's little reason to consider Nintendo's hardware over the alternatives.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
My, you're a cantankerous one aren't you!
Make up your mind; you're trying to argue that Nintendo always has the go to machine for multi-plat releases - I'm disputing that. You try to claim that the SNES was the go-to over the Megadrive because it was the more powerful hardware - I'm saying that the Neo-Geo was the more powerful (regardless of how well you think it sold... fyi, it was still getting 1st party games released for it a decade after it launched)... as for multi-plats, you must be forgetting the ports of Samurai Shodown, Fatal Fury, World Heroes, King of The Monsters, etc that were released on SNES and some on the Megadrive.

Almost all those N64 games you listed as being better on N64 than PS1 - guess what? They're on the Dreamcast and look and run better than anything on the N64. Don't bring up the N64 again - it was no ones go-to for anything other than exclusives.

Nintendo systems are indeed popular, but not for multi-plats. Take away the exclusives and there's little reason to consider Nintendo's hardware over the alternatives.
i never said the were always the go to for multiplats... i said nes,snes and even n64 had alot of multiplatforms that were better on them than the competition.

Also your talk about multiplatform games and bring up neogeo for some reason, and if anything neogeo is the console you dont want for multiplatform games at all, who would buy a neo geo to play multiplaform games when it had less than 10?...

Also dreamcast is a next gen system so ofcourse its gonna look better, the generation n64 was competing was saturn,ps1,n64, dreamcast competed with ps2,gc and xbox.

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
i never said the were always the go to for multiplats... i said nes,snes and even n64 had alot of multiplatforms that were better on them than the competition.

Also your talk about multiplatform games and bring up neogeo for some reason, and if anything neogeo is the console you dont want for multiplatform games at all, who would buy a neo geo to play multiplaform games when it had less than 10?...

Also dreamcast is a next gen system so ofcourse its gonna look better, the generation n64 was competing was saturn,ps1,n64, dreamcast competed with ps2,gc and xbox.
The post I originally replied to claimed that Nintendo hasn't been the go to console for non-exclusives since the Gamecube. I disputed that they'd ever had a console that could be considered the "go to" for anything other than exclusives. This is still a true statement, regardless of whichever fanbase you're touting for.
I owned (and still own) SNES, MD, NGCD, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, NGC, X360, PS3, Wii, WiiU, PS4, and a variety of 8bit systems/computers and a variety of handhelds, and can safely say that I've never gone to any of my Nintendo machines to play a multi-plat release aside from perhaps a 3D rendition on the 3DS or for the novelty of some waggle controls on the Wii/WiiU.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)