1. 5,195

Front-page
    5b48c98c5ea108a4298b45f9.jpg

The PlayStation Vita was meant to be the king of Remote Play for PlayStation, but things never really turned out the way they hoped, with the Vita being known more for its miserable sales and its status as a "legacy system" a handful of years after its launch. We could get another chance at experiencing Remote Play on a handheld, though, if a recent PlayStation survey has anything to say about it. Reportedly, a Reddit user found a survey being given out by Sony, which asked PlayStation fans what features they'd like to see in the future, regarding Remote Play. Some of these questions asked if being able to play classic PS1 and PS2 titles through remote play would be appealing, if a mini DualShock 4 meant for on-the-go playing would be of interest, or if people would want to use Remote Play on other entertainment devices, such as the Apple TV, Android TV, or even the Nintendo Switch. Whether or not we see Sony actually implement any of these ideas is dubious, but it does seem like they're looking towards the future when it comes to PlayStation 4's Remote Play, or the service in general.

:arrow: Source

2. Discussion (74 replies)

3. eyeliner

eyeliner Has an itch needing to be scratched.

Portugal
    I can totally see it happen. It a situation where everyone wins.

4. Jiehfeng

Jiehfeng a.k.a, Your Maitreya

Sri Lanka
    Playing something like Spider-Man on the Switch would feel unreal, I would definitely like to see it happen, but I doubt I would use it much.

5. DANTENDO

DANTENDO I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser

United Kingdom
    can someone tel me the difference between very appealing and extremely appealing lol can't stand these 5 answer polls a yes or no would be sufficient

6. JuanMena

JuanMena GBAtemp Regular

Mexico
    :mellow:

Nintendo is doing this kind of thing with PC games and Switch ports of PC games...
    Why wouldn't they do it with the Xbox or PS?

Seems like... it's going to be real.

7. gameboy

gameboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
  8. seanp2500

seanp2500 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Pretty please sony make this happen. Make up for abandoning the vita...

9. hippy dave

hippy dave BBMB

United Kingdom
    No shit, Sony, this is obviously what people want, hurry up already.

10. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

United States
    [​IMG] upload_2020-2-3_4-40-22.png

NANI!? :yayswitch::yayps3:

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
    leon315 likes this.
  11. linuxares

linuxares I'm not a generous god!

Sweden
    How about yes. Now give us!

12. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

United States
    Why not just trade games?
    Sony get's breath of the wild port, and nintendo gets god of war port. Only fair, both games one game of the year award. :ninja:

13. linuxares

linuxares I'm not a generous god!

Sweden
    Because that are system sellers so it will never happen.

ChicoPancho and x65943 like this.
  14. Mohammed2935

Mohammed2935 GBAtemp Fan

Kuwait
    If I was Nintendo I would put car break pedal under every company desk to slow down their servers hehe.

No sony go else where.

Attached Files:

15. AkiraKurusu

AkiraKurusu GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    More PS2 for me, but HELL YES. The good Ratchet & Clank games, Persona 3 FES, and more I can't think of right now.

As in something like a JoyCon? No thank you; too tiny and cramped. The current DS4 is perfect; not sure how they're going to improve upon it for the PS5 and DualShock 5.

Out of those devices, I only own a Switch, and I don't tend to play games outside of the house, so...eh.

16. ombus

ombus GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I would say... sony .. stop copying nintendo.. invent something of your own. even if its sucks.

17. DANTENDO

DANTENDO I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser

United Kingdom
    Noone is copying anyone - what Nintendo did with the hybrid idea you dont need a big arse brain to come up with tht-it's not like portable is as good as docked-I couldn't giv a cows arse if anyone is copying-mor ways of playing for us all tht matters

18. AnalogMan

AnalogMan ultraSuMoFramework Dev

United States
    Except Nintendo. Yeah, PS4 remote play may increase Switch console sales (which they sell at a huge loss) but it will decrease software sales (which is where the profit is). Why would someone who's interested in PS4 remote play pay $60 for a Switch port like Witcher 3 when they can pay $15 for the PS4 version? While the PS4 remote video compression will take a toll it probably wouldn't be as bad as the downgrade in graphics that the native Switch version needed to do. This applies for a lot of other games too, like Skyrim, DOOM, and of the Final Fantasy's Crash and Spyro trilogies and it could even decrease potential future ports for games like Kingdom Hearts 3 or Spider-Man.

Sony certainly wins as PS4 remote play on Switch can revitalize lost gamers who have been too busy to sit in front of the TV for some solid gaming but who can now play in short bursts on the Switch. I know I'd play a few PS4 games I have that I haven't actually finished if I could play them on the Switch.

gurgleburble likes this.
  19. eyeliner

eyeliner Has an itch needing to be scratched.

Portugal
    @AnalogMan This wouldn't be a free lunch for Sony or users, my boy. Of course you would have to pay:
    For Switch online.
    Sony's service

Now, considering that both companies are rivals on the same field, it would be majorly difficult to pull off, but weirder things happened before.

20. AnalogMan

AnalogMan ultraSuMoFramework Dev

United States
    Since it doesn't use Nintendo's servers and can be played over local network, no Nintendo online would be required. As for Sony's service, they don't currently require service for any of their other Remote Play offerings (PC, Mac, iOS, Android, Vita). So this likely would be free lunch.

21. Trash_Bandatcoot

Trash_Bandatcoot im useless

Netherlands
    Ok, so Sony goes from blocking Fortnite console crossplay on the Switch to straight up giving people the ability to play PlayStation games on the Switch.

What a weird realm we live in.

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - PlayStation, Nintendo, players