PlayStation Showcase announced for September 9th, will focus on "what's next" for the PS5

kldjjklasdjklasddsakl.png

You'll be able to get a glimpse at the future of the PlayStation 5 later this week, according to Sony. A PlayStation Showcase has been teased and is set to take place on September 9th, where it'll show off PS5 titles scheduled for release this holiday and beyond. Both third-party and first-party PlayStation Studios will be a part of the stream (though there will be no "next-gen" PlayStation VR games revealed), which will last around 40 minutes. You can tune in or catch our live coverage when the showcase begins next week at 1pm PT/10pm CEST.

:arrow: Source

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
games that are proud of being games and dont desperately want to be movies
Ratchet and clank before the ps4, GOW before the 2018 reboot
So you just hate anything that pushes the graphical envelope? Rift Apart and God of War are more than "gamey" enough, they're certainly nothing like Quantic Dream games where you just walk from one cutscene to another.

Reactions: D34DL1N3R

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
games that are proud of being games and dont desperately want to be movies
IE far cry 2, GTA4, Prince of Persia, Sonic, Ratchet and clank before the ps4, GOW before the 2018 reboot
basically most video games made before 2008
It's great having a preference and enjoying what you enjoy, but it's not so great shitting on something that other people enjoy. Visual novels are a huge market in certain parts of the world and that's just games for people who like books, so it shouldn't be that hard to understand why they also cater to people who want games like movies.

Having said that, most of my favourite games were made in the 80s or early 90s (funnily enough just before the FMV era).

EDIT: I recently played an FMV game that I actually enjoyed called Late Shift. I recommend giving it a shot.

Last edited by subcon959,
Reactions: Xzi

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's great having a preference and enjoying what you enjoy, but it's not so great shitting on something that other people enjoy. Visual novels are a huge market in certain parts of the world and that's just games for people who like books, so it shouldn't be that hard to understand why they also cater to people who want games like movies.

Having said that, most of my favourite games were made in the 80s or early 90s (funnily enough just before the FMV era).

EDIT: I recently played an FMV game that I actually enjoyed called Late Shift. I recommend giving it a shot.
I"m totally fine with playstation making game made to look more like movies, but it's a problem when it becomes nearly their entire catalog of games.
Ratchet and clank is the one exception i can think of and that game has been dumbed down from the previous PS2 entries.
and as for god of war... they did that game wrong. so much of the action was lost in exchange for walking scenes and cinematics. it's hardly like the OG game at all besides the fact they're both hack and slashes
Games AREN'T pushing the graphical envelope. Any 8th-9th gen console can run realistic graphics with shittons of god rays, 4k textures and raytracing. It's not impressive anymore, because photorealism isnt impressive anymore. It's literally impossible to push the graphical envelope because that's implying that there is a future to videogame graphics besides resolution increases and framerate increases. we should go back to the days of cool crazy art directions in modern triple A titles and not this realistic cinematic shit that TLOU plagued the industry with

Dr_Faustus

Resident Robot Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So you just hate anything that pushes the graphical envelope? Rift Apart and God of War are more than "gamey" enough, they're certainly nothing like Quantic Dream games where you just walk from one cutscene to another.
Not to take any side to this discussion but I personally feel that if a game focuses more on what it can do graphically more than its actual gameplay and environment its not in the right mindset of what should be done. Hell a great example of this is when Philips was pushing the concept of games for the CD-I and had a studio try to make the Zelda/Mario games (yes, THOSE games) they did not care about the gameplay in the slightest, they cared more about it showcasing the hardware's potential more than whether or not it played well, with the end result being laughingly bad games.

Its like having a nice dinner, you could go to some place where you can be entertained while you eat, or just a restaurant that while having no thrills they end up making some damn great food. No amount of entertainment makes up the fact that the food is what is important in your presentation. If your focus is in anything but in the core aspect of what you are making, then the chances of it being a good product is less likely. If you make food, it should be good to eat, if you make games, it should be fun to play. Anything outside of that is dressing, and should always be secondary to the core concept.

TL;DR This basically.

Reactions: 64bitmodels

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I"m totally fine with playstation making game made to look more like movies, but it's a problem when it becomes nearly their entire catalog of games.
Ratchet and clank is the one exception i can think of and that game has been dumbed down from the previous PS2 entries.
and as for god of war... they did that game wrong. so much of the action was lost in exchange for walking scenes and cinematics. it's hardly like the OG game at all besides the fact they're both hack and slashes
Games AREN'T pushing the graphical envelope. Any 8th-9th gen console can run realistic graphics with shittons of god rays, 4k textures and raytracing. It's not impressive anymore, because photorealism isnt impressive anymore. It's literally impossible to push the graphical envelope because that's implying that there is a future to videogame graphics besides resolution increases and framerate increases. we should go back to the days of cool crazy art directions in modern triple A titles and not this realistic cinematic shit that TLOU plagued the industry with
It sounds more like you've outgrown the mainstream and you want it to go back in time to what you liked. That's never gonna happen, they will always cater to the masses, just like blockbuster CGI superhero movies. The good news is you can still find games (and movies) that cater more to what you want, it just might not be with the IPs you want.

anhminh

Pirate since 2010
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Am I the only one who feel discomfort seeing real looking human in video game? They keep looking more and more real, it creep me out a lots. Like they look like human but something seem... odd. It different than watching real human in movie, it just weird.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Am I the only one who feel discomfort seeing real looking human in video game? They keep looking more and more real, it creep me out a lots. Like they look like human but something seem... odd. It different than watching real human in movie, it just weird.
Did you ever play Detroit Become Human? Imagine how weird it will be when they are walking around in real life like that.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
As someone who uses his PS5 solely as a 60fps PS4 I'm ready to be wowed!
I'm a PS4 Pro owner, and bought it solely for the FF7 remake, and now that the PS5 is out, it feels like Sony and Squeenix are going to do me dirty by only releasing the rest on PS5. Feels bad man. :yayps3:

Reactions: shaunj66

Dr_Faustus

Resident Robot Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Its called "The Uncanny Valley" Effect. Its a very old but very well known term to describe the effect of trying to create something that looks so human/realistic looking that it becomes less effective in it being acceptable to people and causes unsettling feelings towards it. Its usually applied in robotics and animations.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I'm a PS4 Pro owner, and bought it solely for the FF7 remake, and now that the PS5 is out, it feels like Sony and Squeenix are going to do me dirty by only releasing the rest on PS5. Feels bad man. :yayps3:

Let's be real honest here, by the time the rest of the games come out the PS6 or hell, even PS7 might be on the horizon by then.

This game series remake is going to take golden time to remake to completion, Evangelion Rebuild Movie time. Doing this while in a console cycle is just going to be jarring as hell, hopefully rumors of a PC port are true. And of course, if that is they decide to not just redo everything in UE5 for better graphics, Causing even more problems.

Reactions: Xzi and Jayro

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: I have it in my hands