PlayStation Plus overhaul announced, premium tier has catalog of PS1, PS2, and PSP games

unknown-19.png

After months of rumors, the long awaited relaunch of PlayStation Plus is here. Sony has revealed that they will be merging both PlayStation Now and PlayStation Plus into the new Playstation Plus, which will have three different tiers. "Essential" is the same PS+ experience as before, with free games monthly and online multi-player. Meanwhile, the "Extra" tier adds a catalog for downloadable PS4 and PS5 titles for 14.99 a month. The Premium tier has the biggest amount of content on offer, featuring cloud streaming on PS4, PS5, and PC, as well as access to a retro trove of classic PlayStation games from the PS1, PS2, and PSP, with download options available. Time limited game trials are also part of this plan. This one is $17.99 a month.

The new PlayStation Plus will launch this June. Those current subscribed to PlayStation Now will automatically be converted into the Premium tier. Certain markets will have a Deluxe tier, which is just slightly cheaper Premium but without the cloud streaming.

PlayStation Plus Essential​

• Benefits:
    • Provides the same benefits that PlayStation Plus members are getting today, such as:
      • Two monthly downloadable games
      • Exclusive discounts
      • Cloud storage for saved games
      • Online multiplayer access
    • There are no changes for existing PlayStation Plus members in this tier.

• Price*for PlayStation Plus Essential remains the same as the current price for PlayStation Plus.
    • United States
      • $9.99 monthly / $24.99 quarterly / $59.99 yearly
    • Europe
      • €8.99 monthly / €24.99 quarterly / €59.99 yearly
    • United Kingdom
      • £6.99 monthly / £19.99 quarterly / £49.99 yearly
    • Japan
      • ¥850 monthly / ¥2,150 quarterly / ¥5,143 yearly

PlayStation Plus Extra​

• Benefits:
    • Provides all the benefits from the Essential tier
    • Adds a catalog of up to 400* of the most enjoyable PS4 and PS5 games – including blockbuster hits from our PlayStation Studios catalog and third-party partners. Games in the Extra tier are downloadable for play.
  • Price*:
    • United States
      • $14.99 monthly / $39.99 quarterly / $99.99 yearly
    • Europe
      • €13.99 monthly / €39.99 quarterly / €99.99 yearly
    • United Kingdom
      • £10.99 monthly / £31.99 quarterly / £83.99 yearly
    • Japan
      • ¥1,300 monthly / ¥3,600 quarterly / ¥8,600 yearly

PlayStation Plus Premium**​

• Benefits:
    • Provides all the benefits from Essential and Extra tiers
    • Adds up to 340* additional games, including:
      • PS3 games available via cloud streaming
      • A catalog of beloved classic games available in both streaming and download options from the original PlayStation, PS2 and PSP generations
    • Offers cloud streaming access for original PlayStation, PS2, PSP and PS4 games offered in the Extra and Premium tiers in markets** where PlayStation Now is currently available. Customers can stream games using PS4 and PS5 consoles, and PC.***
    • Time-limited game trials will also be offered in this tier, so customers can try select games before they buy.
  • Price*:
    • United States
      • $17.99 monthly / $49.99 quarterly / $119.99 yearly
    • Europe
      • €16.99 monthly / €49.99 quarterly / €119.99 yearly
    • United Kingdom
      • £13.49 monthly / £39.99 quarterly / £99.99 yearly
    • Japan
      • ¥1,550 – monthly / ¥4,300 – quarterly / ¥10,250 yearly
  • PlayStation Plus Deluxe (Select Markets) For markets without cloud streaming, PlayStation Plus Deluxe will be offered at a lower price compared to Premium, and includes a catalog of beloved classic games from the original PlayStation, PS2 and PSP generations to download and play, along with time-limited game trials. Benefits from Essential and Extra tiers are also included. Local pricing will vary by market.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I still hope to see these "added PS1/PS2/PSP" titles that can be downloaded and not mandatory streamed, sold on PSN directly on a game by game basis.

The same way I can buy Rogue Galaxy (PS2) individually from PSN if I want to, without the need of PSNow, I'd love to get the ability to buy Drakengar (PS2) or Vagrant Story (PS1) without PS+ Premium.

Reactions: CoolMe

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I still hope to see these "added PS1/PS2/PSP" titles that can be downloaded and not mandatory streamed, sold on PSN directly on a game by game basis.

The same way I can buy Rogue Galaxy (PS2) individually from PSN if I want to, without the need of PSNow, I'd love to get the ability to buy Drakengar (PS2) or Vagrant Story (PS1) without PS+ Premium.
It sounds like they can be downloaded

Reactions: godreborn

Stone_Wings

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The only problem I see with that, is like how I've already purchased many "PS Classics" digitally on past PS consoles, that I can't play on the last couple PS consoles without having to buy them again. There's zero reason the classics I paid for in the past shouldnt be able to be downloaded and played on a PS4 or PS5. I can see them doing the same thing. Letting you buy PS1/PS2 classics on the PS5, but then not letting you use them on the PS6 or PS7.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yes I agree. They kind of allowed that with PS5, people can play their PS4 games without buying them again.
I hoped they made (or imagined they could) an Unlock Titles option where you could insert your official Game disc (PS1/PS2/PS3) and the console let you download the game on PS4/PS5.
The same way you have to put the PS4 disc in your PS5 to get that version. They don't force the users to buy the same game again, you just need to prove you have it. it could be done with other consoles... if they wanted to. But, I'm dreaming too much ahah

Reactions: Xzi and Stone_Wings

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you'll probably be able to get a subscription for even cheaper than what's mentioned here. I got my psn+ subscription from cdkeys for half off, which is something Sony does every now and then. I like game pass though. almost every game I've thought of downloading has been on it, and I've bought most of them for 20+% off. however, the problem with game pass is you can only buy in up to three month increments.

Reactions: Stone_Wings

Glyptofane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Link please, to original claims of full BC for PS5. I don't believe that was ever officially stated. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong.
It was merely suggested within a 2019 patent and then again in a new one just 2 months ago, but it was pretty much already assumed it would only be through this dirty PS Now method with the recent one from January.

Sony also refused to clarify the details of their BC until shortly before the PS5 release and even seemingly gagged Ubisoft's reveal that PS1-3 wouldn't be possible.

Last edited by Glyptofane,
Reactions: godreborn

Stone_Wings

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes I agree. They kind of allowed that with PS5, people can play their PS4 games without buying them again.
I hoped they made (or imagined they could) an Unlock Titles option where you could insert your official Game disc (PS1/PS2/PS3) and the console let you download the game on PS4/PS5.
The same way you have to put the PS4 disc in your PS5 to get that version. They don't force the users to buy the same game again, you just need to prove you have it. it could be done with other consoles... if they wanted to. But, I'm dreaming too much ahah

Not sure if you saw my edit before you posted. I was referring to the digital "PS Classics" purchased on a PS3. They cannot be downloaded or played on a PS4 or PS5 even if the same exact classic is available for purchase digitally on the PS4 and PS5. They all but force you to buy the exact same digital game twice.

If you already knew what I was referring to, ignore the last paragraph you just read. lol.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I wonder how it will work when we want to switch from one to another tier.

Say that I bought PS+ for 1 year before the change (January to December).
in June I get the switch to Essential automatically, up to december.
I want the upgrade to the second tier, in june, how much will it cost me ? how long will be the subscription choice ? a month, a year ? how much if I want a year ? I don't want to extend the period after the end like it's happening right now, I want second tier right away.
It will be so hard to make things right.

If I want the second tier for only 3 months while I already have first tier for one year, will I be able to pay only the differences for June-August and get back to first tier automatically when it ends because I still paid for it up to december?
If I want second tier for 1 year while I already have 1 tier for less than a year, second tier will overlap. I don't want to pay 2 tier full price for the period I already paid for first tier.

Last edited by Cyan,

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Why the basic tier? I mean, it adds nothing. They should have removed Essential and merge it with the middle tier, and price it half way.

10€ for 2 games monthly is not bad, but they could at least give PSX games to the lowest tier, as emulating a PSX is relatively easy.

TheGodMauro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
We'll have to see how many third party AAA devs jump in on this service: I can do emulation on my PC, and more likely than not I'll get a better experience than this will ever offer, so that one is pointless to me. Also, game streaming is unusable trash where I live, so that's another strike for me. I also played most of the PS4 catalogue that interested me, so games from that era wouldn't count for me either, I imagine most people have tried the big names by now too.

We'll have to see, if Sony offers early access to AAA or AA games, both first and third party, then it could be a proper competitor to game pass, because the other points are pretty moot to me.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Nothing worthwhile about the new tiers IMO. No clue why both Nintendo and now Sony think their older catalog should be gated behind a subscription service. If you don't sell digital copies of those games at reasonable prices, people will just keep playing them on emulators instead, and with good reason.

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Remember everyone Sony could be using very clever language here.

The PS2 classics could be already released PS4 versions but just available for you to download.

They really need to lay on the content to even get me interested. If Sony thinks that they’re just going to cleverly rebrand PS now and not offer any new additional games or provide monthly updates they are badly mistaken that this will be successful

Tsukiru

Over the Eden
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what is fucked up is the YEN to USD ratio. For the max package it's a little more than 10$ in yen to get that. But in america we have tospend 17.99$ what a rip
I mean just comparing currency doesn't acknowledge the difference in economies. Nor is it that much of a difference considering the other tiers. Not surprised at the note of PS3 being cloud, like PS3 emulation still is making progress (It was only last October RPCS3 could finally boot all games). Mixed with all the other classic systems now having download options probably not helping. Who knows. We have to see if Playstation has gotten better with actually caring about emulation since the PSClassic.

Edit: Well, they should still put the work in. Hey, the PS5 can play those PS3 games finally! But even considering its advances I don't imagine it's just that easy or worth it considering the state of things.

All that said, I think PS+ is a bit. Dumb. $119 yearly for not a lot. And "Time-limited game trials will also be offered in this tier, so customers can try select games before they buy."??? Just kind of weird.

kb7cxWMSrPwL

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
The big bundle of pre-PS4 games sure would have been useful for the pre-PS4 consoles..
I doubt that the old machines will be able to access these old titles under this scheme though.

Stone_Wings

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It was merely suggested within a 2019 patent and then again in a new one just 2 months ago, but it was pretty much already assumed it would only be through this dirty PS Now method with the recent one from January.

Sony also refused to clarify the details of their BC until shortly before the PS5 release and even seemingly gagged Ubisoft's reveal that PS1-3 wouldn't be possible.

So then there were never any original claims to begin with. ;)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1