PlayStation Plus: August 2019 free games are available starting today

48382253546_df5967e2c0_h.jpg

It's the first Tuesday of August, which means that PlayStation Plus subscribers will be able to download the August PS+ games for free. This month offers WipEout Omega Collection and Sniper Elite 4.

WipEout Omega Collection

PlayStation Store said:
WipEout Omega Collection brings together all the content from WipEout HD, WipEout HD Fury and WipEout 2048, enhanced for PS4 and PS4 Pro.

We have been able to take advantage of the power and memory bandwidth of PS4 to rework all textures in the game. Compared to the original games, textures are now clear when viewed up close: you can even read some of the small text on the ships for the first time. As well as a host of improved graphical effects we have also added in HDR which massively improves contrast to what was seen before.

:arrow: Link to download

Sniper Elite 4

PlayStation Store said:
Discover unrivalled sniping freedom in the largest and most advanced World War 2 shooter ever built. Experience tactical third-person combat, gameplay choice and epic longshots across gigantic levels as you liberate wartime Italy from the grip of Fascism.

Set in the aftermath of its award-winning predecessor, Sniper Elite 4 transports players across the beautiful Italian peninsula, from sun-drenched Mediterranean coastal towns, to ancient forests, mountain valleys and colossal Nazi megastructures.

Covert agent and elite marksman Karl Fairburne must fight alongside the brave men and women of the Italian Resistance and defeat a terrifying new threat with the potential to halt the Allied fightback in Europe before it’s even begun.

Sniper Elite 4 includes an expansive campaign for 1-2 players, dedicated co-op for 2-4 players and gripping competitive multiplayer for up to 12.

Reactions: NoNAND

warweeny

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Another month with only sub 20 euro titles, they sure go downhill really fast.
At least they are not shit indie games.

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i just noticed the store changed i looked added them to my collection and staying in my collection.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Ohh, they go with Wipeout this month ? GREAT !
Maybe I'll have some oponent to play with :D

The game had positive reception, even if it didn't get a good ranking on game ranking website, but probably because it's a remake and not a new game, and because it's lacking new tracks and championship? also, the game is at its climax with the PSP and Vita, so there's nothing new. Maybe PS5 for next experience? But Psygnosis/liverpool studio closed, so it's unsure we will get new game or new tracks. Omega is a "final" collection of last 3 best games in the series.
if you liked previous game or racing in general, you should give it a try!

Wipeout in the PSP era was good, not sure they kept the same roots for their PS4 counterparts.
it's actually not a real new wipeout, it's a collection of 3 last games in one, made better and in HD (I play on PS4 Pro HDR so it looks nice).
It includes tracks from both PSP Pure and Pulse games, so, if you liked them, you could like it too, and you'll have new tracks from Vita.

The omega collection contains :
Wipeout HD (PS3), which itself was a bundled of both PSP Pure, PSP Pulse, and additionally new "Fury" mode/tracks/contests added in 2009.
Wipeout 2048 (Vita), new tracks.
The tracks are remade to full 1080p HD version, with more details.
The two games are separated in Omega, and have different ships and playability, and different unlock functions.

Too bad they don't complete it to make it really "omega" (final) version with all other games too, I'd love to see tracks from Wipeout1/2/3 ! even just the tracks, for fun, not full game with old ships and team. Or a user's build mode! Really, instead of making a new game they can just add tracks to this one. They also added Van-Über team with free DLC. (or only because I pre-ordered?)

Sony added PSVR for free in March 2018 and they did a very good job! I didn't play a lot of PSVR games but this one is for me the best in my collection. the graphics are very good and fluid, not blurry like other racing VR games I tried. You also have 3 different choices for "stability" of the cockpit, whether you want it stable or puking moving (fixed to the road, to the cockpit or to the ship). that VR game doesn't make me dizzy at all, good frame rate and sensation! Too bad they didn't add that cockpit camera choice to non-VR mode.
I find VR mode a lot easier to control too, it's more precise to gauge how much you need to turn and can drive really near the border without touching it. You can also "look ahead" of the track very easily, while not seeing much when not in VR.

On total, there are 26 tracks (12 of which also have reverse mode), 4 different speeds, and 8 modes (course, time attack, fastest lap, eliminator (battle), zone, combat zone, mines, championship), and a 9th as career mode (or missions) for 2048/HD/Fury to unlock ships and weapons.
There are ranking for : 38 tracks * 4 speed, for almost each mode.
There are so much tracks and modes that I still haven't score in each yet, and I played it randomly for almost two years.

The only downside I'd give is that it's lacking a real racing championship mode. You know, like Mario kart, Fzero, or even first wipeout, where you had only slow speed championship or few ships available at the start of the game and you had to get the gold medal to unlock next team/track/speed.
Here, instead, you have all tracks and modes available from the start. It can feel a little empty because of that, it's missing a goal and you just play tracks randomly one by one.
what you need to unlock are new ships, and these are achieved differently whether you play HD or 2048.
in HD, you win points for each team you play with, and can unlock 2-3 new ship each. you need a LOT of points, I unlocked only 2 ships.
in 2048, you can unlock one ship each, with special features (cumulate speed from each arrow you cross, never slow down when hit, etc.). this is done through missions, "get first place" or "make a better time than xx:xx on this track" etc. but can be very hard.

Oh, and also on PS3 I could play wipeout1 music tracks from usb, on PS4 you can't play your own musics while in game but need to use spotify (which I don't have) to play with all previous game's musics.

Okay, now who want to play against with me?
I'm feeling alone and playing only with random online users.
I'm usually in the 1% best time ranking, but don't be afraid I can wait and let you win not to discourage you :D
if you never played there's a learning curve for the tracks and controls.
hint: change the default control to "use weapon" with R1 instead of Circle, and square to absorb. no need to reach more buttons.

edit:
PSN name : Cyan--10

Last edited by Cyan,

Scott-105

Bow to me. Please?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Ohh, they go with Wipeout this month ? GREAT !
Maybe I'll have some oponent to play with :D

The game had positive reception, even if it didn't get a good ranking on game ranking website, but probably because it's a remake and not a new game, and because it's lacking new tracks and championship? also, the game is at its climax with the PSP and Vita, so there's nothing new. Maybe PS5 for next experience? But Psygnosis/liverpool studio closed, so it's unsure we will get new game or new tracks. Omega is a "final" collection of last 3 best games in the series.
if you liked previous game or racing in general, you should give it a try!

it's actually not a real new wipeout, it's a collection of 3 last games in one, made better and in HD (I play on PS4 Pro HDR so it looks nice).
It includes tracks from both PSP Pure and Pulse games, so, if you liked them, you could like it too, and you'll have new tracks from Vita.

The omega collection contains :
Wipeout HD (PS3), which itself was a bundled of both PSP Pure, PSP Pulse, and additionally new "Fury" mode/tracks/contests added in 2009.
Wipeout 2048 (Vita), new tracks.
The tracks are remade to full 1080p HD version, with more details.
The two games are separated in Omega, and have different ships and playability, and different unlock functions.

Too bad they don't complete it to make it really "omega" (final) version with all other games too, I'd love to see tracks from Wipeout1/2/3 ! even just the tracks, for fun, not full game with old ships and team. Or a user's build mode! Really, instead of making a new game they can just add tracks to this one. They also added Van-Über team with free DLC. (or only because I pre-ordered?)

Sony added PSVR for free in March 2018 and they did a very good job! I didn't play a lot of PSVR games but this one is for me the best in my collection. the graphics are very good and fluid, not blurry like other racing VR games I tried. You also have 3 different choices for "stability" of the cockpit, whether you want it stable or puking moving (fixed to the road, to the cockpit or to the ship). that VR game doesn't make me dizzy at all, good frame rate and sensation! Too bad they didn't add that cockpit camera choice to non-VR mode.
I find VR mode a lot easier to control too, it's more precise to gauge how much you need to turn and can drive really near the border without touching it. You can also "look ahead" of the track very easily, while not seeing much when not in VR.

On total, there are 26 tracks (12 of which also have reverse mode), 4 different speeds, and 8 modes (course, time attack, fastest lap, eliminator (battle), zone, combat zone, mines, championship), and a 9th as career mode (or missions) for 2048/HD/Fury to unlock ships and weapons.
There are ranking for : 38 tracks * 4 speed, for almost each mode.
There are so much tracks and modes that I still haven't score in each yet, and I played it randomly for almost two years.

The only downside I'd give is that it's lacking a real racing championship mode. You know, like Mario kart, Fzero, or even first wipeout, where you had only slow speed championship or few ships available at the start of the game and you had to get the gold medal to unlock next team/track/speed.
Here, instead, you have all tracks and modes available from the start. It can feel a little empty because of that, it's missing a goal and you just play tracks randomly one by one.
what you need to unlock are new ships, and these are achieved differently whether you play HD or 2048.
in HD, you win points for each team you play with, and can unlock 2-3 new ship each. you need a LOT of points, I unlocked only 2 ships.
in 2048, you can unlock one ship each, with special features (cumulate speed from each arrow you cross, never slow down when hit, etc.). this is done through missions, "get first place" or "make a better time than xx:xx on this track" etc. but can be very hard.

Oh, and also on PS3 I could play wipeout1 music tracks from usb, on PS4 you can't play your own musics while in game but need to use spotify (which I don't have) to play with all previous game's musics.

Okay, now who want to play against with me?
I'm feeling alone and playing only with random online users.
I'm usually in the 1% best time ranking, but don't be afraid I can wait and let you win not to discourage you :D
if you never played there's a learning curve for the tracks and controls.
hint: change the default control to "use weapon" with R1 instead of Circle, and square to absorb. no need to reach more buttons.

edit:
PSN name : Cyan--10
I’ve only ever played Wipeout 2048, and when I saw this was a game I was gonna buy it, now that’s its free I’m ecstatic. I can’t access my PlayStation right now but feel free to add me to play, I will definitely be getting this. Scotsalott on PSN.

Reactions: Cyan

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cause you don't have to pay for them. Don't get literal m80.

Being literal makes the world go round. Some people like very cold, hard, straightforward "facts of the matter". Some people are okay with half-truths and misconceptions, regardless if they still understand the actual facts. That fact is however, you DO have to pay for them. Otherwise you'd still be able to play them when your PSN sub expires. Which you obviously understand. My point is kinda... why take issue with literalism. It avoids confusion in nearly every situation. Cheers. :)

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
Wipeout in the PSP era was good, not sure they kept the same roots for their PS4 counterparts.
Wipeout Omega Collection is not more than a remastered version of Wipeout 2048 from the Vita with its HD and HD/Fury DLCs/PS3 games. It's a nice game tbh.

Reactions: iyenal

Cecilmax

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I cancelled my plus membership after I discover all my free games I get from PS plus will no longer be available if one day I decide to not be a member anymore. That mean I have to pay forever for a "free" game ? thats just weird.

48382253546_df5967e2c0_h.jpg

It's the first Tuesday of August, which means that PlayStation Plus subscribers will be able to download the August PS+ games for free. This month offers WipEout Omega Collection and Sniper Elite 4.

WipEout Omega Collection

Sniper Elite 4

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
That mean I have to pay forever for a "free" game ? thats just weird.
then don't see them as free games.
they are more temporary access while you have a membership, like PSnow.

they are not yours, and if you want the game to keep it while not subscribing you need to purchase it separately. same as PSNow.

The games we buy on PSN are already not ours, but just a license to use them :( if you are banned from PSN you lose them too.
if you want a game to really be yours, buy the disc.

Last edited by Cyan,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: @Xdqwerty, Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! is the Japanese version of the game, different... +1