PlayStation Now branded "A Joke" by Michael Pachter

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by T-hug, Feb 6, 2014.

1. T-hug
    OP

T-hug Always like this.

pip Chief Editor
    Oct 24, 2002
    England
    [​IMG]

Every gamers favorite analyst, Wedbush Morgan's Michael Pachter has branded PlayStation Now "a joke".

This comment comes after leaked footage of Killzone 3 was shown running on Sony's beta cloud streaming service.
    Pachter’s rationale is that publishers will not license their game for monthly streaming as it will dent their ‘per-unit’ sales, along the same lines as bands on Spotify.

:arrow:Source

2. FireGrey

FireGrey Undercover Admin

Apr 13, 2010
    2 Questions:
    1. Does Michael Pachter never say anything good about stuff?
    2. Does anyone actually listen to him?

KingVamp, Black-Ice and soulrazor like this.
  3. mysticwaterfall

mysticwaterfall Streamforce Supreme Commander

Aug 11, 2008
    United States
    Right behind you
    The same way people don't liscense recent movies to Netflix? Oh wait...

soulrazor likes this.
  4. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    Michael Pachter branded "A Joke" by the gaming community ;O;

5. lokomelo

lokomelo Edson Arantes do Nascimento

Aug 19, 2009
    Brazil
    São Paulo
    Michael Pachter is a fool analyst that predict things every time. The fun part is that his predictions are most of time wrong, and people still listen to his speaches for some reason that I do not get yet.

Anyway. Playstation Now is one of Sony's good ideas, but this dont change the fact that Sony will have a though battle to make it happen.

soulrazor likes this.
  6. Tigran

Tigran GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    If.. And here is the big thing -if- it works well.. I will gladly embrace playstation now. Problem is.. OnLive doesn't work that well either. Hell.. Remote play on the Vita to PS4 -still- randomly gets laggy and distorted.

7. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    When it comes to opinions, you can't factor the Pachter.

Seriously, though, I think people let their fannies get way too flustered over Pachter. He's not speaking as a "gamer" to "gamers." He's a financial analyst talking to investors; of course his perspective is going to differ from yours. While I disagree with his overall conclusion, he's not wrong to question how the Playstation Now service will function.

You want to know why people still listen to him? Because you give him notoriety. If you hate him so much, stop reporting what he says and stop talking about him. You guys don't need Pachter to shit talk all your favorite brands when I've got you just about covered.

8. gamefan5

gamefan5 Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur

Aug 29, 2010
    Canada
    Somewhere in this Earth
    Shall save quote for future references. XD

9. codezer0

codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

Jul 14, 2009
    United States
    The Magic School Bus
    Doesn't he know? it is entirely SOP for $ony to do mistakes like this. PlayStation Now is just another of the myriad of mistakes that they'll get a free pass on purely on the basis that they're not Microsoft. Sony made assloads of mistakes in every generation system, and yet people still fawn over their products like they're the second coming. It is entirely their MO to screw up as much as possible so that they can 'look right' when their competition has blunders later in their supported life cycles.

10. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 2, 2009
    Gambia, The
    well it is true, the easier it is to get a temporary and cheap rental, the more people are gonna do it, instead of paying the 50+$ and hoping to get 70% back on the resell half a week later.

back in the day, we lived near a rental store that had ps games. we rented lots of games, played them for a day, finished most in a day and paid like 50 cents for it (plus maybe 3 DM monthly membership fee or something)
    lots of money was saved back then.
    with average games increasingly becoming shorter, but more expensive to purchase due to higher developement costs for hd graphics, renting your games (for any reasonable price) will end up bringing losses and might thus be, a terrible business model for anyone involved that is not the customer.

its not about getting their game out there and have as many people play it as possibly possible for the company. its making the most money possible. and renting out games for cheap is not a good business model anymore

though i could totally see them renting them with cut content and the ability to pay extra to unlock content for as long as the game is rented

11. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    As much as I hate the guy, I must admit he has somewhat of a point. With games not getting longer (ahem...), a rental that's both available (to people with high speed internet) and easy to use will certainly affect the overall sales.

However...it will affect second hand sales MUCH MORE (I think the main public for playstation now are the ones currently buying, playing and then reselling their games).

Also...for an analyst, that "2 year" deal is pretty far off. Doesn't he know that over 90% of the purchases of a game are made within 2 weeks after release? It could very well be that publishers only want their games a month or two after release to be on playstation now, but 2 years is stretching it (heck...at that time everyone expects all patches, expansions and DLC to be included).

12. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    If Pachter deserves threads then we should go around asking random homeless people what they think about Sony and make threads about that too.
    Pretty much the same relevance.

13. zeello

zeello The reason we can't have nice things.

Apr 15, 2013
    United States
    what is wrong with simply licensing content that is more than 2 years old? How would that make Playstation Now a joke?

Maxternal likes this.
  14. RchUncleSkeleton

RchUncleSkeleton Skeletron 9000

Feb 2, 2009
    United States
    California, USA
    So according to this guy gamefly is already killing sales...
    I get that more people would use a service like PS Now than gamefly due to instant play and convenience but doesn't that also mean studios will be making money from PS Now? I personally won't use it because I don't own nor do I plan on owninh a PS4 but just because it might hinder sales of physical copies doesn't mean it will reduce profits.

15. DrOctapu

DrOctapu Magnificent Bastard

Dec 23, 2008
    United States
    Hell.
    HMMM I WONDER IF SOMEBODY'S A LITTLE BIASED.
    Sony's not the best company, but I'll take them over microsoft any day. They make quality products, their first party games and exclusives are great, and PS+ is a better service than Xbox Live. When you use Xbox live you're paying to use services you're already paying for, with advertisements. Sony's the lesser of two evils here.

Also Pachter's a fucking joke anyway so it doesn't matter. Spotify is an example of a streaming service that has a shitload of support, same with netflix. Now could be a good idea, if everything pans out well.

16. GameWinner

GameWinner Take your heart

Jun 14, 2009
    United States
    Tell us how you really feel?

17. Black-Ice

Black-Ice Founder of the Church of Renamon

Oct 31, 2011
    London
    Was just about to comment, until i realized who everyone's talking about...

gamefan5 and EZ-Megaman like this.
  18. Celice

Celice GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 1, 2008
    United States
    Glad to see GBAtemp's blind circlejerks are alive and well.

19. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    "Playstation Now Branded 'A Joke' by A Joke"

/thread

20. Guild McCommunist

Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

May 6, 2009
    United States
    The Danger Zone
    It was designed for new games? I thought it was just a Virtual Console but with cloud streaming.